Author Topic: Diy sup foil  (Read 215627 times)

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Diy sup foil
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2016, 06:33:02 PM »
I can totally see doing wood for tests. Good call.

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2016, 11:41:57 AM »
Got side tracked again and stoped work on this but got inspired again today after seeing a kite foil on the beach so shaped anouther ply foil today after not being happy with the last then being sat night I thought I would do a lazy mans vac bag around it and got it in the warm as the misses is away for the weekend. I'm determined to get this done soon. Just realy have the tail plane to do and make a mold to put the Tuttle box head on the mast which I haven't quite figured just yet

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2016, 12:50:43 PM »
I've seen the pain outweigh the gain with foil kiting...especially, trying to do it with rocks, kelp, and big animals in the water...;-)
Mahalos...{:~)

WARDOG ®
Owner/CEO  StandUp Paddle Sports®  &   SurfingSports®.com, Inc.

(805)962-SUPS (7877) store
(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
Standup Paddle Sports, LLC
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2016, 01:35:14 PM »
luckily we don't suffer from any of those round here just big wide open stretch of shingle/sand beaches and a small bit of seaweed in the summer at the most so pretty lucky unfortunately we do suffer from a big lack of ground swell which is where having lots of other toys help.

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2016, 03:57:19 AM »
Top sanded and bottom glassed then flipped with plastic film and hot coated at the same time ... Speed build!

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2016, 08:37:18 AM »
Love the fast flip for prototyping. I need to do that on fins. Did you wait for initial cure to a tacky finish?

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2016, 09:35:35 AM »
No flip it when wet it's better to use Mylar than plastic for flat surfaces but didn't plan to originally do it this way which is what I have just done. What I would have been better to do was do the flat bottom first on Mylar and then glass the top after which is what I have just done on the tail. This is a full on garage hack build trying to do it fast as posable and keeping it super simple.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2016, 09:52:03 AM by supuk »

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2016, 05:14:43 AM »
Foils done prity much now to make a mould to cast a deep Tuttle on the mast.

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2016, 12:28:09 PM »
Gives a bit of a idea it's rather crude and not super prity but hopefully I will learn something from this.

peterwSUPr

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2016, 04:04:00 AM »
Is your fuselage a paddle shaft?  I wonder if where you cut into it to mount the strut (mast) if that might be your weakest link (if it did not get beefed up).  I'm just getting started on my kite foil now, but from the reading I've done that is one of the high stress areas, and your wing centre of lift is a fair way ahead of the strut.  Maybe a few more carbon layers on the front of the fuselage?  On a windsurf foil they have to put the wing forward like that if using the standard tuttle box, but on kiteboards where they mount further forward on the board they have the wing close to the strut to reduce the forces on the fuselage at the front of the strut

Peter

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2016, 04:19:26 AM »
The  fuz is actually a old rdm windsurf mast which I have allso beefed up with a second layer of mast around that the mast will defiantly break before the fuz which is leading me to beefing up the mast with a bit more carbon as it has a bit more twist than I would like so will do a few more layers at 45deg. My plan in to install a new deep Tuttle in the boards where ever needed as stock ones will probably not be strong enuff anyway which is why I'm just making a mold to make a few.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2016, 06:04:10 AM »
I am very impressed by you, dude.

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2016, 07:00:49 AM »
Two extra layers of carbon on the 45 and two of glass per side for a little more strength hopefully it won't snap to quickly

peterwSUPr

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2016, 09:46:26 AM »
Ah, RDM mast that should be beefier than what I thought.  How much carbon do you have on either side of the mast and what fibre orientation?  Mine is going to have about 50 oz per yard of carbon on each side, half unidiretional, half biax, and no plain weave so no fibres along with the chord.  Of course I don't know how stiff it is yet!  From my reading though, hopefully that should be about right.

Are you glassing the wings on directly or is there a way to bolt/screw them on?  It would be good to at least be able to vary the angle of attack on the rear wing.

Peter

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2016, 10:29:03 AM »
I cant remember how much I have used now but there was a good few layers of 200g uni and then a few plain running at 45 deg tbh it is just what ever off cuts I have had lying around I havnt purchased anything for it but some biax probably would be worth it I will see how it is after what I have done is cured.

the plan is to have them bolt down and then have come shims for the rear to change the incidence of the rear, going with what I know from flying I will probably try 2-3 deg I haven't seen any mention of numbers anywhere? 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal