Author Topic: Diy sup foil  (Read 215608 times)

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Diy sup foil
« Reply #45 on: May 02, 2016, 10:33:02 AM »
Very, very interesting. Make sure you get some footage of you heading into Shoreham Harbour on that ;)

What is that board you are attaching it to?

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 02, 2016, 11:07:00 AM »
Yea the harbour could be great in the winter when the tide is two high for it to break. At the moment it's just on a windsurf board I picked up for £25 which I will test it on with ether a sail or behind a cable ski,boat or with a paddle then from there I guess I may need to try and find a race board to chop down or something

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 02, 2016, 07:46:47 PM »
Man, you are almost there!

I can't wait for the ride report. I'm curious what it will take to get it in the air.

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: Diy sup foil fly's
« Reply #48 on: May 08, 2016, 09:48:46 AM »
Still waiting for wind and waves here so the cable ski was the next best thing to test on. The lagoon is a little on the shallow side and all sorts of ropes holiding the sliders in place so not much room but I got up on the foil first run and every run after that so it defiantly works, I will be put a box in a race board next or maybe building a specific board to try paddleing with it. Fingers crossed the wind swings and we get a few waves soon! Pics to follow

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: Diy sup foil fly's
« Reply #49 on: May 08, 2016, 10:43:58 AM »
here you go a garage hack of a foil with zero calculations and all made from scrap and off cuts.

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 08, 2016, 11:03:12 AM »
Congratulations! That's really great. Well done, looks like huge fun. How difficult would it be to control without the benefit of an overhead tow?

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 08, 2016, 11:39:11 AM »
Hard to say I think being able to control speed myself may make things a little easier allso having more room would help the cable wasn't doing much other than providing the speed there was very little power needed to get up on the foil

808sup

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 08, 2016, 11:41:02 AM »
Windsurf board . That's my plan for my downwind foiling experiment . Still sourcing a suitable board.
Keep up the good work! BTW did you hit one of those ramps? 😉

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 08, 2016, 11:52:07 AM »
Yea the windsurf board was only $40 so was the cheapest test subject. I didn't hit the slider but I did hit the ropes holding them down underwater and made for a sudden stop!

808sup

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 08, 2016, 12:09:44 PM »
Yeah I've noticed that when I fall foiling it is very abrupt.

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 08, 2016, 11:39:49 PM »
Yea I'm wondering if it need to be quite so high it feels prity darn high when your all the way up and it doesn't feel like there is a in between point I think I'm some were around 900mm-1meter up

Kaihoe

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 08, 2016, 11:54:20 PM »
I'm just blown away at your skill. Hey I know let build some new tech out of stuff I've got lying around. Awesome work

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 09, 2016, 12:38:22 AM »
cheers if i could do that all day long i would be a happy person its always  good to make something out of nothing.

The question is now what board to go for? full on race board for maximum paddle speed, a all water semi dw style board a low rocketed dw board or full on dw board!

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 09, 2016, 12:51:40 AM »
I'd go for something that will "crash well". You don't want a foiled board doing loops in the sky at the end of your leash in 35 knots. Plus you need to be able to get back on it easily and get going. Maybe it will need a wider board than you usually make?

I do wonder whether foil SUP downwinding is going to be possible in the shallow short period stuff we get round here. But you are a pioneer and if anyone can make it work, you can. It really is wonderful that you have just knocked up something in your back garden and got it working first time.

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 09, 2016, 01:02:11 AM »
im not sure if it will work on the short suff on the harbour runs but it think the worthing or selsey run should be good. We will soon find out! at the moment I'm thinking maybe a 24 or 25 wide all water to give enough stability and enough speed or maybe a low rockerd 12' dw board or scarp that and maybe even try a old school classic round nose surf style board

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal