Author Topic: Diy sup foil  (Read 215631 times)

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Diy sup foil
« on: February 07, 2016, 09:56:46 AM »
As of yet I haven't had the chance to get my hands on a foil to try and I could not afford the cost of buying one so I thought I best get on with making something. I have had a little look around the Internet and it seams like a fare few have been made for  kiting so how hard can it be?

The mast I have made by hot wireing a xps core then vac bagging it with carbon the  fuselage is made from a old windsurf mast. I have been experimenting a bit on how to do the foils at the moment I'm going for a laminated ply core which I will then bag in carbon. 

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: Diy sup foil
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2016, 10:53:49 AM »

808sup

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2016, 10:54:58 AM »
I will be watching your progression. I've been kiting for years and recently aquired a foil board . I had been thinking ok making my own as well. I have a sheet metal background and thought ... How hard can it be?. Well, after reading others who have made their own I decided to put making one on hold. It looks simple enough but I there are issues to consider. Seems the forces on the mast cause many to flex and break. The fuselage can flex as well. The wings have very different characteristics depending on their size,shape,and relationship to each other. I have often thought of the feasibility of using foils on a downwind board. Good luck and keep the pics.coming.

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2016, 11:18:29 AM »
I'm sure there is a lot to learn but only one way to do that in my world. When you see some of the diy builds the kite guys have done they are fairly crude so will have to see. Im not worried about the fuselage that is super stiff the mast i am going to add a little more carbon to, the foil I'm going to go with a flat bottom section i think on the front, i have not decided on the rear yet. the rear foil will have some way to change the incidence but yet to be decided how. If any one has a kite foil i would be keen to see some close up pics as to what foils they are using on the wings. if this works i will definitely try it on a larger board dw!

blackeye

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2016, 07:43:18 AM »
Could your CNC machine make the foil shape core in HD foam or plywood or make a set of forms in MDF?

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2016, 09:30:43 AM »
Could your CNC machine make the foil shape core in HD foam or plywood or make a set of forms in MDF?

yes quite possibly however my cad skill out side of shape 3d are not there at the moment.

jrandy

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2016, 11:09:58 AM »
Charlie, let me know if I can ever work something up (foil to be made from foam). It's be fun to get a file to run remotely for you. Looking forward to seeing the results from this build. -J
« Last Edit: February 08, 2016, 11:25:37 AM by jrandy »
http://pushheretosavealife.com/
Be safe, have fun. -J

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2016, 01:02:01 PM »
Charlie, let me know if I can ever work something up (foil to be made from foam). It's be fun to get a file to run remotely for you. Looking forward to seeing the results from this build. -J

Cheers many thanks i have been trying to find a local course to learn a 3D package but not had any luck finding one yet and Video tutorials done work that well for me. It would be nice to find a program with intergrated cam as I have only played with a few trial ones to do some very basic stuff.  It would defiantly be easier to mold the hole bottom part in one !

blackeye

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2016, 08:35:34 PM »
What kind of files does your CNC run on?

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2016, 11:41:21 PM »
the cnc is running on mach3 so i believe it will take quite a few .Tap .Txt .Nc .Ncc are the ones i know of. I normally use .tap

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2016, 10:07:18 AM »
Nice work. I don't try to do complex stuff here on Maui, too hard to get materials, too many other things to do, but foils are part of my plan for this summer.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

peterp

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2016, 10:34:37 AM »
I have often thought of the feasibility of using foils on a downwind board. Good luck and keep the pics.coming.

I'm with you on this one - I would love to explore the possibilities of downwind foiling - it could be dwd nirvana of endless glides. SO I have started trying to learn how to foil with a kite, looks simple enough.....but there are many schoolfees to be paid and living in a place where it either doesn't blow (rarely) or hits min 25knots (mostly) progress is slow.....KEEP US POSTED!!!!

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2016, 06:29:18 PM »
Am I crazy to think that a model airplane or glider wing from foam would work? Glass it up and go? I'm pretty sure that'd be the fastest way to play around.

jrandy

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2016, 07:50:06 PM »
Not crazy. The RC airplane folks do some fancy stuff with foil templates and hot wires.

http://pushheretosavealife.com/
Be safe, have fun. -J

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2016, 11:47:07 PM »
I used to do a lot of rc glider stuff which is the only realy thing I'm using to help me guess my way through this. The mast i did like a foam wing using mylars in the cores and vac bagged. The problem with the foam is when it's very thin cores you need a lot of carbon or glass to get the strength so for prototypeing I think the wood will actually be a little better and cheaper to test.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal