Author Topic: The Uber of car rentals  (Read 3201 times)

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
The Uber of car rentals
« on: February 07, 2016, 09:30:45 AM »
Anyone ever heard or tried this?

https://www.flightcar.com/

It looks like they rent out cars that are parked at the airport, I'm guessing with the owners permission. I'm going to spend a week in Seattle next month anld reserved a week with them. It's $100 cheaper for a Honda Accura than the cheapest mini from a name brand car rental company.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2016, 09:55:18 AM by Tom »

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
Re: The Uber of car rentals
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2016, 01:22:20 PM »
Almost had me at San Jose.. Being from the Eastcoast the only SJ I have been to is in Costa Rica.  I was drooling at the Mazda CX-5.. then started reading the fine print.  Wrong country ..likely not that car ..back end loaded insurance: Big Time!   

I had a 2001 Escape with 247k I could have parked at the airport ..and started a reverse mortgage on it. Shezz'?!

Jim
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2016, 02:43:55 PM »
I'd be a renter (driver) before I'd be a rentee (giving car to stranger sight unseen).   

The reviews are horrible, from both renters and rentees :  http://www.sitejabber.com/reviews/www.flightcar.com

Sounds like it can work out fine, but like most "sharing economy" things, reality can occasionally compromise the concept.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2016, 03:11:01 PM by pdxmike »

kayadogg

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2016, 08:06:51 PM »
Check out www.relayrides.com. Oops, looks like they were sold and are now Turo. Same business though. I used their service twice when they still operated as RelayRides. One time I rented an Audi from a guy and he picked me up at the airport, then we drove to his apartment 10 min away, he got out and I drove off. 10 days later I picked him up, we drove to the airport and I got out and he drove home with his car. Sounds shady and I guess it sort of was but the rental cost me $230 for 10 days.

SlatchJim

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2016, 08:27:59 AM »
Us geologists always ask the question of our non geologist friends:

Q: What's the difference between a rental car and a 4X4?

A: The rental car can go anywhere.  ;)

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2016, 09:19:20 AM »
Yelp is a bit more positive on the reviews. I've got a month to decide if I'm going to give it a try. Anyway, I thought it was a pretty cool idea.

SlatchJim, I know what you mean. Back in my consulting days when we would be renting cars every week, we all knew that you should never buy a used rental car. Consultants would do to rental cars what rockstars did to hotel rooms.

SlatchJim

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2016, 09:50:35 AM »
A friend/supervising geologist had a job doing the geology of an expansion of the landfill at Camp Pendleton.  Most of us so Cal residents can see the mountainous terrain from the 5 as we cross north and south.  And what vehicle did he rent for this arduous task?  A Chevy Lumina.  When he returned it, Hertz cancelled our contract nationwide.  We still laugh about that one.

TN_SUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2016, 10:31:04 AM »
The only way to return a rental car is on a flat bed tow truck. As a geotech I understand sites you speak of that can only be accessed by a track rig.
'13 SB Sprint, '15 SIC X-14 ProLite, RH Coastal Cruiser, Think EZE Ski, Kenalu Konihi 84  & Mana

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2016, 11:55:45 AM »
I shudder to think about people who bought cars I rented. The best way to do a track day used to be a rental when you could still get stick shifts. I demonstrated the technique of doing J's to many folks using vans with automatics. I came down a spiral ramp of a parking garage no hands by sticking the front wheel against the inside curb and flooring it. And of course there's the drive to Hana, which used to be either 4WD or rental anything. Kiss those shocks or struts goodbye.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

MauiNui

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2016, 07:40:56 PM »
Tom, I've used FlightCar a couple times at SeaTac and have had no problems. The cars I rented were pretty basic and clean. Just what I was looking for.

A friend has used them probably 10 times and recommended them to me.

One thing to consider is mileage. I generally stay in downtown Seattle and don't go far, so it works out. If you're going to be driving around a lot, do the math. It might be cheaper to pay a higher daily rate and get unlimited miles with the traditional rental companies (do they still do that?)

This is my first post and wanted to thank the 'Zoners for all the SUP knowledge.  Much Aloha!

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2016, 08:15:43 AM »
i would worry re potential problems renting a private vehicle--is the insurance valid? are there unpaid parking tkts on the car, such that one could find it booted or towed? is the reg clean? like when pulled over, will there be a problem?

i get great deals renting cars via priceline--only downside is if i end up returning the car late--they nail you with a per add'l day rate than can exceed the cost of the weekly!  but ive rented beautiful luxury cars in out of season markets for as little as 25$ per day. it can be a bit time-consuming bidding around for various classes of cars, but it is pleasing to rent a 50k cadoo for 25 bux a day.
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2016, 06:59:10 AM »
SJ,  Great insider's joke. Thanks for the laugh.

Jim
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal