Author Topic: Sunova speed air?  (Read 3263 times)

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Sunova speed air?
« on: February 06, 2016, 01:16:18 PM »
Having picked-up surfing recently, I'm now looking to get a fun board that will last for some time.
Reading all the good stuff here in the forum, the one board that seem to fit the bill for me was the
Sunova speed 9'5. It seems like the perfect fun board for a guy my size (5.8/180-185) and my skill set (beginner).

Looking at my use case, based on ease of access to surf settings, I probably end up being an
every-other-weekend warrior.

Since I'm not sure I can fit these board in my apartment, I have to look at other alternatives...

Is it realistic to expect such fun from an inflatable board? With the advancements of recent years these board
seem to be more of an option these days, but i'm not sure that applies to stand-up surfing.

If so, I would appreciate board recommendation that will be the next best thing for me, in case the Sunova will not be possible.
in progress...

JimK

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Big Guys can have fun too!
    • View Profile
Re: Sunova speed air?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2016, 04:39:03 PM »
Since I'm the Sunova guy in USA (sort of Distributor) There is no plan for Sunova to do inflatable sup's because the real beauty of the Sunova is the refinde rail and rocker would at this point be unrealistic to reproduce in an inflatable.

The closest iSUP to the Sunova Speeed shape is the Fanatic Stubby inflatable if you want more detail on this or Sunova PM or email me

JimK
Extreme Windsurfing

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2016, 07:29:48 AM »
i would discourage you from getting an inflatable for surf, burchas--the inefficiency relative to what you know, based on your 2-piece sic, would annoy the shit out of you. measure the diagonal of your elavator or the turns in you apt bldg stairway--there are plenty of sub-9-ft boards which would please you in surf, which would not be particularly challenging for you to dial in.

call jimmy the k--he knows of what he speaks, and would talk you through the right choice of board, given your size, given your extensive downwind/race experience, and the conditions you would face in surf. he will also prevent purchase of a board which would soon feel too big to you in waves. then there's the substantial zoner discount.

given your concern with max gear effectiveness and tweakery (obsessive a little?), i think an inflatable would drive you nuts.
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2016, 08:38:29 AM »
Thanks Eastbound! I appreciate the word of a trusted advisor. I contacted JimK
I will be visiting him once I'm back in the states. Hopefully he can set me up on something
good so I can join you at your spot and help fend-off the proners. :D
in progress...

JimK

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2016, 09:48:28 AM »
Thanks for the Props Guys
Happy to help my ZONER BUDDIES

JimK
Extreme Windsurfing

PabstSUP

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2016, 11:27:34 AM »
Jim will hook you up.  I've gone to him for my past boards in my progression.  One thing to note is that as a beginner, you may want to start on the Allwave rather than the Sunova.  At your height and weight I would probably look at the 8'5 135 Lt model.  That size might be a little easier to fit into an Apartment, though the Speed would look much cooler mounted on your wall between sessions... ;-)

Jim carries both so if you have a chance to visit him you could probably look at both.  The Sunova might be a little tough to balance on as a beginner though you're pretty light for that size.  I'm 6'3, 200lbs and surf the 8'10" Speeed as well as an 8'11" Hobie Raw and kinda wish I got the 8'5" version for clean days. 
Hobie Raw 8'11
Sunova Flow 8'4"
Sunova Speeed 8'10
SIC Bullet 14' ASS

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2016, 03:09:12 PM »
i love my AW 8'11" tho the 2015 carbon and paint has been disappointing. i would bet they heard from many and have reined that in. But i would say that the sunova soul 8'11" would be a similar, perhaps superior, choice--in case your heart's set on a sunova--i have the hots for one, but plan to test many in mauka portugal in march before the trigger pull
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2016, 03:25:27 PM »
i love my AW 8'11" tho the 2015 carbon and paint has been disappointing. i would bet they heard from many and have reined that in. But i would say that the sunova soul 8'11" would be a similar, perhaps superior, choice--in case your heart's set on a sunova--i have the hots for one, but plan to test many in mauka portugal in march before the trigger pull

Please let me know what you think after you tasted it. I did not find it down here in CR yet.
in progress...

magentawave

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2016, 01:43:37 PM »
Jim, I bought a quiver of kites and boards from you in the early 2000's and you were exceptionally good to work with. Thank you! Are you a dealer for JP Australia?

Since I'm the Sunova guy in USA (sort of Distributor) There is no plan for Sunova to do inflatable sup's because the real beauty of the Sunova is the refinde rail and rocker would at this point be unrealistic to reproduce in an inflatable.

The closest iSUP to the Sunova Speeed shape is the Fanatic Stubby inflatable if you want more detail on this or Sunova PM or email me

JimK
Extreme Windsurfing
Pluto Platter: 7-10 x 29.25 x 4.25 x 114.5 liters

JimK

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2016, 05:16:01 PM »
Still dealing with JP and loving them PLUS we still offer killer deals on kites

Call 484 515 5758 or PM ME

JimK
Extreme Windsurfing

* Recent Posts

post Re: GPT 5, Sam Altman, What's coming
[Random]
PonoBill
March 17, 2024, 05:30:44 PM
post Re: 2024 North Mode Pro wings:
[Classifieds]
cnski
March 17, 2024, 05:09:04 PM
post Re: HOT Chicks on Stand Up Paddle Boards!
[SUP General]
burchas
March 17, 2024, 08:50:00 AM
[SUP General]
Night Wing
March 16, 2024, 07:02:05 PM
[SUP General]
blueplanetsurf
March 16, 2024, 03:28:57 PM
[Random]
LaPerouseBay
March 14, 2024, 12:38:42 PM
[Random]
LaPerouseBay
March 13, 2024, 07:59:28 PM
post Re: FS - Ocean Rodeo Glide A-Series Wings (3m/ 4m / 5m), USA
[Classifieds]
StellaBlu
March 12, 2024, 07:27:21 AM
post FS - Kalama Barracuda
[Classifieds]
VB_Foil
March 11, 2024, 05:43:58 PM
post Re: Vision Pro
[Random]
Bean
March 11, 2024, 03:46:42 PM
[Random]
PonoBill
March 09, 2024, 11:06:32 AM
post Happy International Women's Day, lady zoners!
[General Discussion]
LaPerouseBay
March 08, 2024, 07:28:47 PM
[Random]
Admin
March 08, 2024, 04:45:53 AM
[Random]
PonoBill
March 06, 2024, 11:00:24 PM