Author Topic: Rocked at Tavares  (Read 3179 times)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Rocked at Tavares
« on: February 05, 2016, 09:11:10 PM »
I went looking for surf around 9:00 today since I had to fix the passenger side window on my truck. the actuator for the window gave up the ghost. Thought about going out at Lanes but there were a bunch of people in it. Decided on Tavares and maybe paddle up to Noriegas. Went out to the outer reef and caught few, but it was fickle and choppy. Stayed about an hour though. then I went to the inner wave since it was out of the breeze. Caught a few, but they were pretty dinky. three shortboard surfers trying to bounce waves into submission. I caught a wave outside, and started to go right, but a shortboarder swam hard for it and was in my way. I could either run him over or go left--I didn't have enough speed to turn out. Left turned out to be a bad idea, since it put me right into the rocks, with a bunch of similar waves coming to bounce me around. I had to wallow around in six inches of water, trying to stay off the Va'na and not sit on a turtle (the place was thick with them). I pulled my board up to me and held it up to keep it from getting dinged and waited for a lull, finally was able to get out, with a few fresh scratches on me, board was fine.

When I got back out the shortboarder was gone. One of them said "He left because he thought you were going to beat him up. He said he didn't mean to push you into the rocks, but he didn't want to take a chance". I knew he didn't mean to, and told them to let him know I didn't blame him. Pretty sensitive for a great big young Hawaiian guy. Way too big for a geezer like me to be angry with. Maybe if he'd been a lot smaller I wouldn't have been so forgiving.

Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Rocked at Tavares
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2016, 09:36:04 PM »
Live the damn aloha man, right? People don't know what to do when they meet a full grown man who accepts that things happen and knows the whole world isn't out to get him if something goes wrong.

Way to man up.

covesurfer

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2016, 10:09:16 PM »
Way too big for a geezer like me to be angry with. Maybe if he'd been a lot smaller I wouldn't have been so forgiving.

.....and so, my strategy is to be willing to run faster than you.  ;D

Hey, there's a maliko race tomorrow. Starting time is 11 am. There should be no wind or a headwind, doesn't that sound great. No swell at least.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2016, 08:10:13 AM »
Way too big for a geezer like me to be angry with. Maybe if he'd been a lot smaller I wouldn't have been so forgiving.

.....and so, my strategy is to be willing to run faster than you.  ;D

Hey, there's a maliko race tomorrow. Starting time is 11 am. There should be no wind or a headwind, doesn't that sound great. No swell at least.

That's a pretty easy strategy. Two bad knees and a hundred pounds more weight. You could probably just powerwalk away.

Yeah, I'm thinking of doing it, just because I'm dumb as a box of hammers.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

covesurfer

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2016, 06:44:16 PM »
You missed an absolutely hateful time today. In the boat, it wasn't much better. However, you'd have won your division as there was only one other SUP and he sure as hell was too young to know any better.

I got 6th out of 13 in the 50-59 long course OC1. 1:40. DK and Junya raced two macanu, they finished about 20 minutes (!!) ahead of me! I haven't hurt that bad since I did a 10 mile flat water OC1 race a year ago with no training. I've managed to consume about 4000 calories since I got home though, so I got that going for me.....

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2016, 07:28:24 PM »
I was all set to go, and then I remembered that I didn't want to.

Good size swell coming tomorrow, but weird wind too. Kansas might work early, with onshore wind straight out of the north and there's a good chance of a rocking southside. No Maliko.

Bigger swell on Monday.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2016, 07:38:38 PM by PonoBill »

SUPcheat

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2016, 11:27:10 PM »
"He left because he thought you were going to beat him up. He said he didn't mean to push you into the rocks, but he didn't want to take a chance".

This is why I want to watch you the next time you go to Steamer Lane.  Kick the Westies asses and clear out the lineup.
2013 Fanatic Prowave LTD 9'3"x30.5x@134L
Sunova Speeed 8'10"x29.12@131L
Sunova Flow 8'7"x30.25"@121L
Carbon 9.3x32@163L Hammer
Me: 6'1"@230 lbs 68 years old

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2016, 11:41:40 PM »
Im NOT scary-lookimg. Kind of like Wilford Brimley, only in boardshorts. though come to think of it that's kind of scary.

covesurfer

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2016, 12:16:19 AM »
Well, maybe you never saw the Seinfeld episode where Wilford Brimley was the FREAKIN POSTMASTER GENERAL! He was pretty badass.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=On3cQ0sPvSY
« Last Edit: February 07, 2016, 12:19:04 AM by covesurfer »

SUPcheat

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2016, 03:22:32 PM »
Im NOT scary-lookimg. Kind of like Wilford Brimley, only in boardshorts. though come to think of it that's kind of scary.

A swastika on your forehead like Charlie Manson would do it.  Of course, maybe the Westies would think you are a brudah.
2013 Fanatic Prowave LTD 9'3"x30.5x@134L
Sunova Speeed 8'10"x29.12@131L
Sunova Flow 8'7"x30.25"@121L
Carbon 9.3x32@163L Hammer
Me: 6'1"@230 lbs 68 years old

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal