Author Topic: SUP around Newport Beach  (Read 7155 times)

Slappysan

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
SUP around Newport Beach
« on: February 05, 2016, 05:54:39 PM »
I'm going to be in the Newport area mid Feb and I'm going to bring my SUP (and my skim) and I seek some advice.

After reading up a bit my plan is to SUP at Bolsa Chica mostly as I'm used to Canadian and Oregon waters where you often have 2-3 other people to share waves with. I'm average skill at best and prefer longboard style mellow waves to getting barreled.

Any other spots to consider?

Anyone have any tips on where to skim? I'm more of a flatland skimmer so a wave novice but I do have a decent wave board.

Temperature wise what should I expect? I have a 6/5 hooded and a 5/4, after that it's just 2 mm pants + 1.5 mm top. I like to be warm though so I'm thinking 5/4 should be okay.

Newps

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Re: SUP around Newport Beach
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2016, 06:03:08 PM »
Anywhere North of the HB Pier, all the way to Bolsa Chica State Park is good.  I like the north part of HB cliffs.  Your 5/4 will work just fine, you might want booties too.  We've had warm water this winter 58-60 mostly.  If you want to skim, Balboa Pier is great all the way to Newport Pier is all good.
L41 SIMSUP S4 - 7'4" x 30 1/4" x 4 1/2" 112L
L41 SIMSUP S5 - 7'6" x 27 1/2" x 4 3/16" 106L
L41 SIMSUP S4 - 7'8" x 31"x 4 1/2" 122L - Modded w/ a King's TUT Tuttle box and using a King's foil.
L41 SIMSUP S4 - 7'10" x 30 1/4" x 4 1/2" 120L
Starboard Whopper - 10' x 34" x 4 1/3" 171L - w/ FCS GL-1 fins

SlatchJim

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2016, 08:36:00 AM »
if you're used to Canada and Oregon, your 1.5 top and 2MM pants should be plenty.  If you're going mid week, you should be good anywhere from the Santa Ana rivermouth all the way to Seal Beach.  Weekends are crowded...everywhere. 

Old School 213

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2016, 11:35:52 AM »
HB Cliffs and Bolsa are good calls. The Seal Beach river jetty can be good for the long board style you're looking for. The south side of the NB pier can be OK too but north side is one of if not the most populated prone breaks (Blackies) in the area and while there are a few SUPs there upon occasion I would not recommend it. From 36th street in Newport to Beach Blvd I would skip over as it's steeper breach break. Go forth and enjoy just remember 

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2016, 05:46:19 PM »
I'm a long-time Newport local.  Hit me up and I'll show you around.
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

Old School 213

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2016, 08:36:48 AM »
Hey Zoo, you still surfing before work?  One of these days you need to enlighten me as to your secret spots around the homestead.

Slappysan

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2016, 05:29:56 PM »
Thanks for all the input.

Seal Beach looks worth checking out as I might bring my one of my bigger kites with me in case there is enough wind to kitesurf. Everything I've heard though says the kitesurfing is garbage in Feb though.

I'll primarily be out in the mornings too, Monday-Friday so odds of wind are pretty close to zero.

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2016, 07:09:16 PM »
Hey Zoo, you still surfing before work?  One of these days you need to enlighten me as to your secret spots around the homestead.
Yep, going again in the morning before work, as usual.  Wimped out today and was grumpy all day because of it.  As far as secret spots; dey ain't none in Zooport BCH.  You are welcome at our couple of less popular spots anytime you want to join. Also, OCSurf and I are talking about hitting trails midweek sometime this next week.  You should join us.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2016, 07:11:44 PM by Zooport »
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

Old School 213

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2016, 09:11:31 PM »
Let me know what day for trails. My schedule is somewhat flexible and I have not been down there in a while and one SUP session in four months. 

I keep proning at blackies for some reason. Shocking the number of SUPs around the lower jetties today. Must be the new Doctors Thursday lunch gig. In the mornings are you just going across the street a block north of the pine knot?

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2016, 11:23:34 AM »
Let me know what day for trails. My schedule is somewhat flexible and I have not been down there in a while and one SUP session in four months. 

I keep proning at blackies for some reason. Shocking the number of SUPs around the lower jetties today. Must be the new Doctors Thursday lunch gig. In the mornings are you just going across the street a block north of the pine knot?

No, going somewhere else in Newport.  Not really a secret, but still don't want to post it online.  You are welcome to join, though.

For a Trails run, I'm open any day next week.  Let's look at the forecast and decide.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2016, 11:25:27 AM by Zooport »
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2016, 06:53:48 PM »

No, going somewhere else in Newport.  Not really a secret, but still don't want to post it online.  You are welcome to join, though.

For a Trails run, I'm open any day next week.  Let's look at the forecast and decide.
Well OK....yet you have no problem posting our local "best kept secret" where we like to escape to when the looney weekend, and summer crowds arrive at SanO....geez, thanks "bud".  >:( ;) ;D
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2016, 07:47:27 PM »

Well OK....yet you have no problem posting our local "best kept secret" where we like to escape to when the looney weekend, and summer crowds arrive at SanO....geez, thanks "bud".  >:( ;) ;D

Oh, yeah, Uhhh....We are going there to see just how much the place sucks and how many people get bitten by the great whites.  Don't anyone go there unless you like terrible surf and would like to donate a leg to a whitey. 
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2016, 08:05:59 AM »
Oh, yeah, Uhhh....We are going there to see just how much the place sucks and how many people get bitten by the great whites.  Don't anyone go there unless you like terrible surf and would like to donate a leg to a whitey.
Lol....glad you took it in the fun, and jest it was meant.  Trails is fun, but not for everyone, as the walk down, and back up when you're exhausted seems to discourage a lot of folks from the place.  But seriously, we welcome all adventuresome enough to put in the effort to get down there, and enjoy the "uncrowded", and pretty decent wave....relatively speaking for SoCal.

Just an FYI to those considering heading this way who haven't been here before.....Trails doesn't like a lot of water, so plan you runs for a medium to low tide, as it can get pretty finicky, and wonky as it heads into or out of the high tide.

If anyone's down, and sees a long-haired guy wearing one of Ralph's red "SUZ" hats....please make sure you paddle over, and say "Hi"....I enjoy meeting new "Zoners" I've yet had the chance to SUS with. 

SanoSup
(aka. Dave)
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

Old School 213

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2016, 10:08:08 AM »
Yeah, the walk down the trail. How far is it again.... 4+ miles? All I can remember is that my feet hurt just from the walk down in booties so much that I wore tennis shoes down after that.

SlatchJim

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2016, 10:28:00 AM »
Lol....glad you took it in the fun, and jest it was meant.  Trails is fun, but not for everyone, as the walk down, and back up when you're exhausted seems to discourage a lot of folks from the place.  But seriously, we welcome all adventuresome enough to put in the effort to get down there, and enjoy the "uncrowded", and pretty decent wave....relatively speaking for SoCal.

Just an FYI to those considering heading this way who haven't been here before.....Trails doesn't like a lot of water, so plan you runs for a medium to low tide, as it can get pretty finicky, and wonky as it heads into or out of the high tide.

If anyone's down, and sees a long-haired guy wearing one of Ralph's red "SUZ" hats....please make sure you paddle over, and say "Hi"....I enjoy meeting new "Zoners" I've yet had the chance to SUS with. 

SanoSup
(aka. Dave)
We almost went to Trails on Saturday, just Marty and I but we stopped at Doho on the way south and it was relatively empty, so we stayed put (Bird in the hand syndrome).  That and I was worried about the tide swamp near noon and wanted to extend the session as long as I could ...so I started it earlier.  :)

Hey Dave, what's the scoop on El Nino Damage to all the end of each trail?  It's been a while since I've made the walk, being winter and all.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal