Author Topic: SUP with Alligators??  (Read 13509 times)

PJBrendel

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: SUP with Alligators??
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2016, 06:43:33 AM »

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2016, 08:05:40 AM »
not sure how that lake compares to others in the florida area but my family has a house in wintergarden on a small lake and we get aligators on the lawn some times however when you tried to get close they soon ran of, i don't believe they are aggressive unless provoked. we paddle windsurf and water ski a lot in there with out worrying. There are a few other bigger lakes near buy that we also ski on that we have seen some big gators on but as long as you keep away from the edge and the big lilly pad areas know one worries you soon tell when you are in a particularly gator friendly area. The only scary one i have had out paddling was when i saw a some type of water snake swim past quite close, I HATE SNAKES!

SUPflorida

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2016, 05:20:54 PM »
Lake Okeechobee is 730 square miles...lot of potential for big gators.

diveChick

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2016, 07:34:07 PM »
Good gosh! Well there are definitely some horror stories in the replies!  I believe that there is a pretty big difference in the aggressiveness of alligators vs crocs but I do NOT speak from experience.  Don't get me wrong, I still have a healthy respect for anything with that many teeth.  I broke down and bought a kayak, which, actually turned out to be even smaller than the paddleboard, but at least I'm less likely to fall in.  I gave the kayak a shot and that worked out fine so maybe I'll try the paddleboard soon... though the stories here make me wonder if either one is a good choice... in fact, it makes me wonder if I should be upgrading my 19' center console to something larger as well. 

Quickbeam

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2016, 10:31:41 PM »
Good gosh! Well there are definitely some horror stories in the replies!  I believe that there is a pretty big difference in the aggressiveness of alligators vs crocs but I do NOT speak from experience.  Don't get me wrong, I still have a healthy respect for anything with that many teeth.  I broke down and bought a kayak, which, actually turned out to be even smaller than the paddleboard, but at least I'm less likely to fall in.  I gave the kayak a shot and that worked out fine so maybe I'll try the paddleboard soon... though the stories here make me wonder if either one is a good choice... in fact, it makes me wonder if I should be upgrading my 19' center console to something larger as well.

As I said in my earlier response, it’s not something I would do. To me, it comes down to risk vs. reward. Don’t get me wrong, I love my paddle board. But I don’t love it enough to paddle in an area that has, as you said in your original post “MONSTER alligators”. To me, that risk just isn’t worth the reward.
Infinity Blackfish 12’ 6” x 23”
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 24”
Infinity Whiplash 12' 6" x 24 1/2"
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 26”
Bark Competitor 12’ 6” x 29”
Red Paddle Explorer (Inflatable) 13' 2" x 30
Starboard Airline (Inflatable) 12’ 6” x 27

pguidry

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2016, 07:53:12 PM »
Anything less than 10' probably wouldn't be a problem but I wouldn't trust a big bull gator in mating season.

I've had a big one follow me pretty close for 100 yds or so. I was in a tandem kayak at the time. Pretty intimidating.

One of the local guides told me a story when he went over a big gator canoeing up a side creek. He must have hit it with his paddle. It popped up and clamped down on his canoe. It gave him a few shakes and let him go.

Back in the 80's I remember someone going in off a Hobie Cat and a big one ended up taking his arm off.

There about as trustworthy as a bull shark. I stay away but know people who've gotten away with it.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal