Author Topic: How to repair a broken paddle - Great Video  (Read 7259 times)

supthecreek

How to repair a broken paddle - Great Video
« on: February 04, 2016, 03:57:15 PM »
Ha ha.... so, 4 days ago I listed 2 of my Ke Nalu's on Craigslist, because I never use them, and I need cash!

Today, in some nice waves today, I snapped the one Ke Nalu, that I was keeping  ::)  (see pic)
Can anyone say "Murphy's Law"?
Late takeoff, board sucked around in a barrel loop, karate chopped the middle of the shaft like a hatchet!

Just as a coincidence, I saw this video today on Seabreeze.... so I thought this might help all you other shaft braker's out there.
The big question it answered for me was:
I have to cut several inches of damaged shaft away, but it is already short enough..... I did NOT know that you can add back some length with this method.... Very cool!

I won't opt for the carbon patch kit..... I have fiberglass and epoxy already, that will be good enough for me..... but the kit looks awesome!

blueplanetsurf

• Site Sponsor
  • Teahupoo Status
  • Hawaii's SUP HQ
    • View Profile
    • Blue Planet Surf
Re: How to repair a broken paddle - Great Video
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2016, 12:24:28 AM »
That's another great video from Jim Terrell.  The APLtech composite patch is such a clean and easy way to do the repairs. 

I found the kit available on the european company website:
http://www.compositepatch.com/en/detalle-producto.asp?id=14&idCategoria=6

Is it available in the US?

It's pretty easy to find a smaller diameter carbon shaft cutoff piece to fix a 1" diameter shaft but harder to find one for the smaller Ke Nalu shafts, what are you planning to use for the inside ferrule?
Robert Stehlik
Blue Planet Surf Shop, Honolulu
Hawaii's SUP HQ
http://www.blueplanetsurf.com

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2016, 12:36:08 AM »
See if Bob has a good size chunk of shaft. If you cut a slit in it about 1/4" wide you can compress it and slide it into your broken shaft. Line up the slit on the compression side of the shaft (the side opposite to the pull) and epoxy it in place. You can slip a spacer over the ferrule if you need to lengthen the shaft. epoxy everything in place, then do two or three wraps of 4 oz prewet, and wrap tightly with mylar VHS tape to compress it into place.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2016, 12:46:04 AM »
Like I said on seabreez cut all ends to 45deg as it spreads the load and transfers it across the joint through the original shaft as well as the new ferrule. You can allso jig it up perfectly stright using a section of angle aluminium and the last tip is to drill the smallest hole you can in the centre of the ferrule and put a pin in it that way you can slide both half on  up to the pin making sure it is centred then just pull the pin out
« Last Edit: February 05, 2016, 12:59:05 AM by supuk »

supthecreek

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2016, 04:40:48 AM »
Like Pono said:
cut a gap lengthwise in a section that is too big....
Then squeeze the ferrule and slip it inside the broken bits, and spacer..... it expands to give a nice tight fit

I learned to save ALL the cut pieces from my shafts as I shorten them.
I cut down shafts for other people as well, so I have a nice selection.
Plus they know I have them, if they ever need a repair.

supuk
are you able to do the 45* cut, if you need to add a spacer?
or do you use the 45 to eliminate the need for a spacer, because the angle cut remove most of the frayed bits , that would ordinarily need to be trimmed back?

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2016, 06:04:45 AM »
doing the 45 deg cut you loose about a inch of length but get a lot stronger and less prone to failure joint. If you want to keep it the same length just cut the spacer on the 45 as well.  Just try to get them all lined up perfect or you may end up having to just the handle however if thats hot glued then thats no worries. I have never had to glass or carbon the out side doing it this way, its as strong as any other joint on the paddle as it pretty much the same method.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2016, 09:41:37 AM »
Nice joint UK, I doubt I could get one that well fitted. The glass on the outside is belt and suspenders, I agree, but I like belts and suspenders.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2016, 11:50:40 AM »
did the carbon patch kit actually cost 74.90 euros?? i may not read correctly, but seems pricey compared to mixing epoxy and brushing onto carbon twill. the plastic mixer wrap etc is slick but for 85$ i could forgo the convenience.
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

J-Bird

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2016, 12:27:04 PM »
Sup UK,

That's an elegant solution to the problem, better than the hackjobs suggested.

PJBrendel

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2016, 01:52:17 PM »
Great video, thanks for sharing!

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2016, 02:25:45 PM »
Nice joint UK, I doubt I could get one that well fitted. The glass on the outside is belt and suspenders, I agree, but I like belts and suspenders.

I just use a chop saw set at 45 or you can make up a very simple jig out of wood and use a hacksaw and any small adjustments can be made with a strip of wood with some 120 grit stuck to both sides and is were my jig with the gap come in to play allso

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2016, 03:11:19 PM »
This video was very cool.  Good to see alternative methods. 

I fixed a paddle shaft with no dowels and without clean fiber to line up.  Used a Stryofoam insert, glued and took it from there.  I have fixed 2 shafts this way both still holding.  The benefit you get is that the external diameter is greater meaning larger 'moment of intertia' and bend strength.

The break severely fractured both ends on the shaft (Item 1).  The material looked compromised so I cut off ¾” of an inch as perfectly square as I could.  I then gently sanded the ends to fit in the most aligned, straight way possible.  I rotated the two shaft ends until the alignment was as close to straight as I could make it.  I then marked the alignment with thin strips of white electrical tape (Item 2 & 3).

Rather than fumble with a dowel, or insert, I took the example from surfboard design and built a plug out of a block of Styrofoam (Item 2).   The idea was minimize weight, not necessarily to add strength and serve as a substrate to temporarily hold the two halves together.   I applied a light coating of epoxy to the last half inch of foam on both sides and pressed the two halves together (Item 3) holding it vertical with foam in a wood vice against padding on the ground.   I attempted to make the re-connected shaft as straight as possible.

The result is shown in Item 4.  I applied 2 strips of masking tape 4” from the break to be able to identify the center after applying carbon.

Final added weight: 18 grams.  Additional info here:
http://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php/topic,27353.msg285032.html#msg285032
« Last Edit: February 05, 2016, 03:13:53 PM by Beasho »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal