Author Topic: I need techie advice above and beyond that of mortal men....  (Read 3384 times)

Old School 213

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
I need techie advice above and beyond that of mortal men....
« on: January 31, 2016, 10:41:36 AM »
Here's the situation: may father-in-law, a prince of a guy is getting a little squirrely with his dementia and we're worried about him wondering off but really don't want to but the clamps on his freedom just yet. I'm looking for something like a watch that we can use to locate him. The idea of giving him an Iphone came to our minds but he'd either lose it or give it away every 45 days. With the ranges that might be involved blue tooth is out and the solution is likely something using the cellular network. So, tech giants is there a device that has this functionality?

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: I need techie advice above and beyond that of mortal men....
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2016, 11:03:49 AM »
Of course there is. Google gps tracker for dementia patients. There are dozens of devices, from wrist bands to shoe inserts. Some are quite expensive, but walMart has a device for $129 that is pocket carried. You just need to figure out how to ensure it's always with him.

Here's a good list of options:

http://www.aplaceformom.com/blog/4-29-15-dementia-and-elderly-gps-tracking-devices/
« Last Edit: January 31, 2016, 11:12:53 AM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Old School 213

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2016, 03:00:07 PM »
Thanks Bill.

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2016, 01:48:57 PM »
School,  I was working on a design for a dog/cat PFD that would appeal to offshore sailors and one idea was to incorporate a tacking device.  Sailors, especially live-aboards, are among the most cost conscious white people there are.  I found a device called 'Guardian Mini' an RF device for kids, pets, etc..  It was pretty inexpensive.. There may be better RF trackers out there. You are right about Bluetooth - 100' from what I gather.  Good luck.

Jim
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

PDLSFR

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2016, 03:22:54 PM »
These seem great for teenagers as well, good to keep an eye on them these days!
Infinity RNB 8'2
Ron House 9'7
Ron House 10'7
Infinity New Deal 10'
Custom Infinity New Deal 10'
VEC 11'
Focus Bluefin 14'

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal