Author Topic: Paddle length changing?  (Read 9636 times)

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
Re: Paddle length changing?
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2016, 11:10:08 PM »
When I first started sup surfing I bought a Kialo Pupu. Thing is an entry level performance fixed paddle. Fiber glass reinforced molded plastic w/a ribbed blade. HEAVY! I had no clue and the dude who sold it to me didn't give me one either! So it stayed at a BRUTAL 80"! After a while someone said cut the damn thing! I was apprehensive and only buzzed it down to around 76". Now that I think I know what I'm doing my paddle is 1" taller than me and a full carbon fiber Kialoa Methane...pretty much the total opposite of the Pupu. It felt odd to have it so short for like the first 5 mins! I like it WAY better at this length! A bit of crouching down more but it doesn't get caught up in the wave nearly as much and is 10x easier to maneuver with.
One could go into a mall in Kansas and ask a teenager "What is a surfer looking for?, and the answer will always be, "The perfect wave"
9'11" PSH Hull Ripper-145 ltr    
9'3" PSH  Hull Ripper- 130ltr 
8'0" Corevac Assassin -127 ltr   
Paddles- Carbonerro PRO SERIES 85 & Riviera Camo at 70"

Off-Shore

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • HksupaHK SUP and Downwinding
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2016, 04:01:31 AM »
I also agree it depends on where the shoulder of the blade starts. I use my old 2013 SB Enduro paddle for downwinding on my SIC F16 which sits high on the water. It is 8" above my head. I use a QB Trifecta for racing which has a narrower and taller blade with higher shoulder and it is 1" shorter. I choke down upwind and on starting. My Think XO race board sits even higher than the SIC F16 in the water. For SUS I use another SB Enduro which is about an inch shorter that the QB, so around 6" above my head... I am sure it should be shorter but since I rarely SUS, and when I do, I spend a lot of time with it in the water for balance, perhaps it is fine that it is a little long for the moment.
SB 9' x 33' x 4.1" - RPC 9'8" iSUP - SB All-Star 12'6" - Blue Planet Bump Rider 14 - SB Ace 14 x 27 - RedAir 14' Elite Race - SIC Bullet 14v1 TWC - SICMaui F16v3 Custom

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/HksupaHk_SUP_and_Downwinding

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2016, 06:12:48 AM »
I should have stated this was regarding surfing .  That's all I do

For surf, it depends mostly upon how low in the water my board sits.  For my 7'10" and 9'6" at 110 and 117 liters respectively, the deck is barely above water and I use a 1" overhead paddle.  For my 10' - 162 liter board which sits 2.5-3' above the water I tend to grab a paddle that is 6" longer for a more relaxed stance on the board.

The key in using a short paddle is to bend more at the knees and not so much with the back.  It is more tiring at first but the side benefits are more power, better balance and quicker reaction.

TonyGring

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2016, 10:58:15 AM »
When I first started sup surfing I bought a Kialo Pupu. Thing is an entry level performance fixed paddle. Fiber glass reinforced molded plastic w/a ribbed blade. HEAVY! I had no clue and the dude who sold it to me didn't give me one either! So it stayed at a BRUTAL 80"! After a while someone said cut the damn thing! I was apprehensive and only buzzed it down to around 76". Now that I think I know what I'm doing my paddle is 1" taller than me and a full carbon fiber Kialoa Methane...pretty much the total opposite of the Pupu. It felt odd to have it so short for like the first 5 mins! I like it WAY better at this length! A bit of crouching down more but it doesn't get caught up in the wave nearly as much and is 10x easier to maneuver with.

The Methane is what I've been using last 6 years.  Cut it down yesterday to 1'' over my head ( was 6'' over my head )   Looking forward to trying it soon.

Easy Rider

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2016, 08:49:23 AM »
One thing to also factor in is arm length.
I am short - but have long arms - so the ___ overhead really doesn't work for me at all. 
Just my 2¢
Easy Rider is the name of my store in Edmonton, AB, Canada.
My name is Warren Currie . . . and we SUP Surf indoors . . . in a shopping mall!

blackeye

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2016, 09:13:34 AM »
For performance cruising, I change it up within the session. So an adjustable works great. I can't imagine committing to one paddle length for more than 20 mins at a time. The variation in length is easier on the body and makes for a great workout.

TonyGring

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2016, 10:44:31 AM »
Good surf here SB/Ventura area last couple days. Got a chance to try my cut down paddle. Little weird.  Feels like granny gear on a mtn bike. More strokes to cover same distance than longer paddle. Sokay.

Best thing about it is ---    It feels much more " out of the way " when surfing.

Huge plus there.   So I've got a new paddle length I'm getting used to as well as a new board -  8'2'' Carbon Stun Gun

Good times El Nino !

OUTSIDEWAVE

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2016, 12:16:30 PM »
for surf I stand straight up grab the paddle upside down at the  base of the blade and cut so that is dead even with my shoulder. I had a longer paddle when I started out but quickly developed shoulder issues. This  way changed everything and  no shoulder issues at all anymore.
SEA BIRDS THEY DO TOUCH AND GO AS THE WORLD JUST TANGOES BY.... SO I SADDLE UP MY SEAHORSE WITH MY FLYROD IN MY HAND.... 10'3 King custom  10'6"  c4 da beachboy

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal