Author Topic: So, are ya still proning much ?  (Read 16242 times)

KiwiSupGreg

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Re: So, are ya still proning much ?
« Reply #30 on: February 01, 2016, 03:25:35 PM »
I sometimes use the kids naish keiki soft top sup as a prone board. 9,6 easy to paddle...fun times

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bajasurf

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2016, 01:01:06 PM »
Not much.. I made a new prone board 7.4 x23x2 3/4 over the holidays.  I thought I still had it in me... Ha-was I fooled. I could barley pop up. The waves were great, and I had a horrible session and sore as hell afterwards... Now, I have been poping up for over 36 years, and there never was a problem before.. After being on a SUP for the last 3 years, I lost my pop up.  I have been way over weight ( 250lbs), so I got pissed and realized I had to get back in surfing shape.  After 3 weeks I am now 230lbs, bit I still need to lose 30#.. I am practicing my pop ups.  I doubt I will ever prone surf again, but if I do, I will be ready... I love SUP, its so much more fun to me than prone surfing..  If I were still chasing barrels, I would still be prone surfing, but point and reed breaks are fine with me...

1tuberider

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: February 03, 2016, 05:03:23 PM »
Since switching to sus, I only prone paddle when my arse is getting beat(you now being in the wrong place at the wrong time from waves of consequence). Surfing my entire life has been standing while riding. No change really. Less prone
paddling is great.

tautologies

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 03, 2016, 06:49:40 PM »

I just got a new 7'10''

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 03, 2016, 07:31:15 PM »
@pono: "the fun starts when you stand up, the only difference is how you get there"

I completely disagree. As a bunch of folks have said in this thread, the popup is a huge part of the fun of surfing, and like them I miss it. But the benefits from SUP surfing are just so immense. Taking a wave count from 6 in an average session to 20+, and being able to cover so much more ground, make it worthwhile for me.

Since I never developed the smooth popup I so admire in longboarders, I can't really argue. I was a windsurfer first, driven to surfing by rotator cuff injuries. I see the advantages of traditional surfing every day, but it's academic now, I'm not willing to spend the recovery time.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 03, 2016, 08:51:07 PM »
@pono: "the fun starts when you stand up, the only difference is how you get there"

I completely disagree. . . the popup is a huge part of the fun of surfing, and like them I miss it. But the benefits from SUP surfing are just so immense. Taking a wave count from 6 in an average session to 20+ . . . .

I've only paddled out on a prone board once this season . . . . It was fun but its hard to go back to not having super powers.

It looks like you only SLIGHTLY disagree.  I was thinking about my last surfboard, that I gave away to this kid, and when I would ever use it.  That board was ideal in 6 - 15 foot surf.  On a typical double overhead day I would have spent my time taking beatings, being cold and maybe, just maybe getting some glory. 

I still remember my first big day on a SUP.  9 ft @ 17 seconds and I had caught 10 waves without getting my hair wet.  I was up, I was warm, I was catching these graceful beasts and riding them like the Red Dragon in Avatar.  Why would I ever go back? 

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 03, 2016, 08:51:42 PM »
Then there was this morning.  I had a rare mid-week day at home.  Took my daughter to school but didn't have enough time to really surf before a conference call. 

Conditions were small so I hopped on the bike, rode 3 minutes from my house and paddled into 4 - 6 feet @ 12 seconds at my local beach break.

100% alone with the sun rising I caught 20 waves in 40 minutes.  I caught lefts until I realized the rights were walling up and ripping down the line.  Two guys watched for 20 minutes but by the time they came out I was finished.  A quick little session at a rate of 30 waves per hour. 

The icing on the cake is that SUP'ing is so good you don't even have to look at the conditions.  Just go.  The proners this morning watched me catch 10 waves in 20 minutes debating whether it was good enough. 

When its big you SUS dragons while others watch on, when its small you are flying down the line while others debate its worth and when its windy you can find your perfect Maui, big SUS drops all to yourself while the crowd sleeps in so they are fully rested when they tell you just how bad the conditions were.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2016, 09:23:46 PM by Beasho »

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 04, 2016, 12:06:18 AM »
Yes, there's that.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

sup_surf_giant

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 07, 2016, 08:45:11 PM »
Sold all but my shortboard which I had shaped after my last resurgence to surfing in 2012. Can't bring myself to sell it..haven't ridden it in about a year.

I should probably sell it.

Surfed my Infinity 8'5 TL sup today for the first time in months. Felt fantastic.

8-5 is a struggle!
Taller than most, shorter than others.

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: February 07, 2016, 10:10:08 PM »
Beasho- " I was catching these graceful beasts and riding them like the Red Dragon in Avatar." That is sooo cool! Perfect description of riding size! I always wonder what those grey beasts up north look like. I think one day!

I managed some size here in Encinitas this past week on a 9'0" Sunova Style. Longboard style sup, aggressive though, the thing is light and spunky. Thanx to Tom from here on forum it's been one wave after another! After 3 days on the thing the waves came up nice and I grabbed a 7'2" mini gun off a guy named Lorenzo on the beach for the first morning sesh...he was super cool to let me jump on it so I gave him the SOLOSHOT armband! The 7'2" paddled me fine and I got out no drama...one drop in 40 mins and it closed. Then a GNARLY duck dive that sucked me over 1/2 way, I hung on. Ended up riding white water in to return the guys board. Grabbed the sup I caught a ton!

Some Size
Screenshot 2016-02-06 00.47.46 by surfercook, on Flickr

Lorenzo running to the waves!
Screenshot 2016-02-06 00.30.55 by surfercook, on Flickr
Lorenzo droppin in
Screenshot 2016-02-06 00.42.05 by surfercook, on Flickr
Perfection on the Style
Screenshot 2016-02-05 17.07.02 by surfercook, on Flickr

Screenshot 2016-02-05 17.06.40 by surfercook, on Flickr

Screenshot 2016-02-05 17.06.48 by surfercook, on Flickr
One could go into a mall in Kansas and ask a teenager "What is a surfer looking for?, and the answer will always be, "The perfect wave"
9'11" PSH Hull Ripper-145 ltr    
9'3" PSH  Hull Ripper- 130ltr 
8'0" Corevac Assassin -127 ltr   
Paddles- Carbonerro PRO SERIES 85 & Riviera Camo at 70"

SUPcheat

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 07, 2016, 11:11:16 PM »
I've been doing a fair number of prone pops on the SUP, just because of getting slammed so much on the inside.

The washboard, very short period whitewater has been keeping me trapped and scrambled a lot, so when a big one would come in, I would just yield and flop onto the board and pop up to get some kind of ride on whitewater. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.
2013 Fanatic Prowave LTD 9'3"x30.5x@134L
Sunova Speeed 8'10"x29.12@131L
Sunova Flow 8'7"x30.25"@121L
Carbon 9.3x32@163L Hammer
Me: 6'1"@230 lbs 68 years old

Cardiff Sweeper

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 09, 2016, 04:32:53 PM »
I took my 5'6" out today.

Not fun.

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: February 09, 2016, 10:37:14 PM »
I took my 5'6" out today.
Not fun.

5'6"!! What's that?!
One could go into a mall in Kansas and ask a teenager "What is a surfer looking for?, and the answer will always be, "The perfect wave"
9'11" PSH Hull Ripper-145 ltr    
9'3" PSH  Hull Ripper- 130ltr 
8'0" Corevac Assassin -127 ltr   
Paddles- Carbonerro PRO SERIES 85 & Riviera Camo at 70"

TonyGring

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: February 10, 2016, 09:28:19 AM »
Thinking a 9'ish long board would be an easier transition from SUP  than when I tried my 6' short board a few years back. I don't own one. Would have to borrow.

I remember coming in after that session on the short board. Felt defeated and incompetent.
I also remember hating to have to duck dive  freezing water.
My neck hurt from arching it up while prone paddling.
I think  the worst was losing the ability to see as much as I did when standing up looking over the line up.

Honestly not in any hurry to prone paddle to surf I suppose......

SUP Leave

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 11, 2016, 11:57:33 AM »
Quick suggestion if you are considering prone surfing after a long layoff for SUP:

Spend extra time prone paddling your SUP before you get back on your prone board. The surfing part is easy, but getting out and feeling like you are able to get somewhere on your surfboard without getting tired usually takes me about 3 sessions to get used to. I found out that if I forced myself to paddle out my SUP prone, then I ended up cutting the 3 sessions down to none.
Make paddleboarding great again!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal