Author Topic: Bic ACE-TEC construction  (Read 18380 times)

spirit4earth

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Bic ACE-TEC construction
« on: January 27, 2016, 02:42:03 PM »
Is anyone out there using an Ace-Tec board?  I'm looking specifically at the Wing 11'.  Is the Ace-Tec build durable?  I don't plan on dropping it or banging it on rocks, but you never know.  Mainly, will the board have the longevity to make it worth the money?  Thanks for your input!

jarvissup

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Bic ACE-TEC construction
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2016, 03:24:32 PM »
I bought a couple of the ace-tec wings for my wife and I a couple of years ago. They are very durable and a good board for the long haul. We have carbon race boards now, they are a lot lighter and faster, but the Bic Wing's are good, durable boards, that require a lot less care.

spirit4earth

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2016, 03:36:14 PM »
I bought a couple of the ace-tec wings for my wife and I a couple of years ago. They are very durable and a good board for the long haul. We have carbon race boards now, they are a lot lighter and faster, but the Bic Wing's are good, durable boards, that require a lot less care.

Were either of the boards an 11'?  How well do they track and how fast do they go?  I'm not a racer----just a flatwater paddler----but I do want to have decent speed and glide.  Thanks!

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2016, 06:15:01 PM »
Bic construction is some of the toughest in the business. It doesn't feel “nice” compared to other boards. Kinda pasticy. But these are some of the only boards that can take a hit. I got my son a Dura-Tec board, which is super tough. I'll probably get a 14' Bic as my next distance board.

Of the “tough” hardboard brands, and there are only a few that are really tough, Bics are probably the best designed. The surfboard shapes are traditional but they work fine. Nobody's going to win a contest on a Bic, but nobody complains they're badly designed boards.

The Wing is pretty durable. It's not fast, but it's a solid choice, especially as first flatwater board. Why are you looking at the 11 footer instead of the 12'6"?
Pau Hana 11' Big EZ Ricochet (Beluga)

spirit4earth

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2016, 06:28:41 PM »
Bic construction is some of the toughest in the business. It doesn't feel “nice” compared to other boards. Kinda pasticy. But these are some of the only boards that can take a hit. I got my son a Dura-Tec board, which is super tough. I'll probably get a 14' Bic as my next distance board.

Of the “tough” hardboard brands, and there are only a few that are really tough, Bics are probably the best designed. The surfboard shapes are traditional but they work fine. Nobody's going to win a contest on a Bic, but nobody complains they're badly designed boards.

The Wing is pretty durable. It's not fast, but it's a solid choice, especially as first flatwater board. Why are you looking at the 11 footer instead of the 12'6"?

I'm looking at the 11 mainly for storage reasons.  If I don't get an inflatable, I don't think I could get a 12'6.  I'm around 150 lbs----would the 12'6 be too much volume for me?   Would the 11 be significantly slower?
I don't need something as tough as a DuraTec.  My main goal, if I go with a hard board, is to get something not too expensive, not too heavy, and not too slow---but also built to last, and worth the money.  A lot to ask, I know!  :)

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2016, 07:49:44 PM »
The 12'6" isn't huge. To me it's a little small, but I'm a bit larger than you. If you just want to tour and exercise without worrying about speed or racing, the 11' board will be fine for your size.

I'm guessing you are a person of the female persuasion?  :) I totally understand wanting a smaller board. I had an 11' board for years, and it got a lot of use. Just make sure you're comfortable with the board because you'll have it for a while. If you can demo both, that would be ideal.

Fog City Rider

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2016, 08:37:13 PM »
I can second Ichabod's comments on the Bics.  They are WAY tough and well-designed.  The plastic shell adds a couple pounds & isn't as slippery-feeling in the water, but the Wings ride great for general purpose paddling.  We had them in rentals alongside their Classic boards, and the Wings were the favorite of most paddlers who were beyond the beginning stage. 

One thing I like about the design is that unlike some other race boards, even if the 12'6 is too much volume for you, it still manages to trim well with all 12'6 of the length in the water.  I imagine the same goes for the 11'.  I weigh 165 & the 11' was perfectly stable for me. 

I remember weighing the 11' at around 27-28 lbs.

San Diego, CA
10'0 Naish Nalu Pro (2017 version)
9'0 Pearson Arrow Laird custom
9'3 Pearson Arrow custom (prone)
9'8 Takayama In the Pink (prone)

spirit4earth

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2016, 05:59:58 AM »
The 11' isn't terribly slow, is it?

Muskoka SUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2016, 06:14:21 AM »
The 11' isn't terribly slow, is it?

It's probably one of the fastest 11' boards on the market... If not the fastest.  Just don't  expect it to be as fast as the 12-6.  Just like a 12-6 can't be Compared to a 14, or a 14 to an unlimited... It's all about the length.. (And the width).  ;D
It ain't over until the fat board sinks....

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2016, 08:08:10 AM »
I second what Muskoka said. This is a slightly skewed group because we're always talking about high-end equipment. I haven't paddled the 11', but the design should make it faster than most boards of its size, especially boards with a surfing hull.

JimK

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Big Guys can have fun too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2016, 08:26:09 AM »
I DO NOT MEAN TO HIJACK THIS THREAD but...

If you are looking at well designed DURABLE BOARDS you Gotta check out
Bounce SUP

These things are amasing and will even hold up to Ichabod's Hudson River Runs

JimK
Extreme Windsurfing

spirit4earth

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2016, 09:05:48 AM »
I second what Muskoka said. This is a slightly skewed group because we're always talking about high-end equipment. I haven't paddled the 11', but the design should make it faster than most boards of its size, especially boards with a surfing hull.

I'd love to get a high-end board, but I can't right now.  I don't want the cheapest board, either.  I do want one that will last, and that's good up to an intermediate level.  I'm also considering a Red Paddle Sport 11', since I like Red boards.

PDLSFR

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2016, 12:24:04 PM »
I have the 11' Bic Ace-Tec board and it's actually a fun board that is pretty fast (actually used it last summer in 2 races and managed to score a 3rd place and 2nd place). Board is on the heavier side but is relatively durable. I've actually dropped it many times and it holds up well, I also had it fall off the roof of my Xterra onto it's nose and although it did ding it was easy to repair being mostly plastic. It wasn't that expensive, think I paid $750 for it and would say it's a fun board for race training and cruising.
Infinity RNB 8'2
Ron House 9'7
Ron House 10'7
Infinity New Deal 10'
Custom Infinity New Deal 10'
VEC 11'
Focus Bluefin 14'

GizzeeNZ

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2016, 08:17:37 PM »
I've got the 12'6......its a nice board to paddle on flat water compared to "surf" sups as has zero rocker so you not pushing lots of water away from you as you are paddling. Rock solid stable on flat water. In choppy ocean conditions its okay.....wouldn't feel the desire to be on the 11 foot version though :)

JimK

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Big Guys can have fun too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2016, 05:59:54 AM »
The BOUNCE are Great boards both displacement and planning hulls VERY reasonably priced and SUPER DURABLE CONSTRUCTION Far beyond ACE Tech and a little lighter but MOST important they do not have a seam that can leak like Ace Tech sometimes do

JimK

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal