Author Topic: 2016 Starboard Allstar 14 x 25  (Read 52715 times)

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: 2016 Starboard Allstar 14 x 25
« Reply #210 on: July 23, 2016, 11:55:00 AM »
Here are 2 very interesting GPS results from this am.  First is with the AS23 and Elite fin.  The tracking is off the chart straight like an arrow -> and speed was 6.9 mph in about 6 kts of breeze upwind.  The second is on the Bullet 14V2 and JL tracker fin.  That speed upwind did not peak - but on the DW was 6.7 mph.  A substantial amount of fatigue had already set in by then.

The sprints were done back to back with an immediate change-over and no rest.  These tests are not precise at all - but do give some idea how different boards and fins perform.  All were using my 116 Vantage R8.5 blade.  It seems my peak speed is 6.9 mph upwind on the AS23 at this point.  The surf nosed Bullet feels a lot slower and the glide feels a lot less.

When you compare the various GPX tracks and speed profiles - you can see the variance between different fins and boards.  For balance gains in the ocean the AS23 is king - and for fun DW the Bullet is king.  So far -> have fallen in fighting cross chop on the AS23 about the same number of times - as all my other boards combined.  My full Orbit PFD was never been rinsed so many times after paddling! Haha.   ;D
Fast is FUN!   8)
Dominator - Touring Pintail - Bullet V2 - M14 - AS23

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: 2016 Starboard Allstar 14 x 25
« Reply #211 on: July 25, 2016, 03:11:25 PM »
Used the SIC 7.0 and hit 7.2 mph upwind and 7.0 mph DW in about 4kts of breeze today.  It definitely is a keeper.  Works a charm for DB as well since it does not broach in messy cross chop nor broach angling across swells.  It makes the board a tad tippier though.  Should note the foil profiles may not be same between fins of the same size.  We have 2 different foil profiles now.  Odd.  When you look at the GPX tracks - the 7.0 moves around the most.  The AS23 with SIC 7.0 fin is fairly speedy.   :)
Fast is FUN!   8)
Dominator - Touring Pintail - Bullet V2 - M14 - AS23

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal