Author Topic: 2016 Starboard Allstar 14 x 25  (Read 52704 times)

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: 2016 Starboard Allstar 14 x 25
« Reply #75 on: July 01, 2016, 05:58:46 AM »
not worried about downwinding - gasp - where's the fun!!! ;D
Haha! Yep I reckon ukgm must have sold his soul to the race devil. Poor guy. But he's probably just at an early stage along the typical SUP evolutionary trajectory, which goes:

Beginner
Starts to get interested in paddling faster
First few local races
Starts to train seriously
Minor successes in local races, progressing to national ones.
Finds that in order to progress further you need to have no life.
A friend suggests taking a break from boring flatwater drills to downwinding.
A revelation occurs. A light goes off in the head. THIS is what SUP is for....
He starts looking for high winds rather than light ones.
Joins or assembles a posse of like-minded souls to DW with.
They become a tight-knit group who rely on each other - sometimes for their lives.
SUP becomes more about co-operation and friendship than competition and ego.
Interest in flat water racing wanes and he starts thinking of himself as an "ex-racer".
Our paddler has evolved into a downwinder...hooked for life.

But maybe one day he will join us and start inventing new ways to measure downwind performance of different boards, which will lead to new design innovations :)

ukgm

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #76 on: July 01, 2016, 06:09:39 AM »
not worried about downwinding - gasp - where's the fun!!! ;D
Haha! Yep I reckon ukgm must have sold his soul to the race devil. Poor guy. But he's probably just at an early stage along the typical SUP evolutionary trajectory, which goes:

Beginner
Starts to get interested in paddling faster
First few local races
Starts to train seriously
Minor successes in local races, progressing to national ones.
Finds that in order to progress further you need to have no life.
A friend suggests taking a break from boring flatwater drills to downwinding.
A revelation occurs. A light goes off in the head. THIS is what SUP is for....
He starts looking for high winds rather than light ones.
Joins or assembles a posse of like-minded souls to DW with.
They become a tight-knit group who rely on each other - sometimes for their lives.
SUP becomes more about co-operation and friendship than competition and ego.
Interest in flat water racing wanes and he starts thinking of himself as an "ex-racer".
Our paddler has evolved into a downwinder...hooked for life.

But maybe one day he will join us and start inventing new ways to measure downwind performance of different boards, which will lead to new design innovations :)

Sadly, I sold my soul to performance sport 20 years ago and still going strong. Since then I've been in 5-6 different sports - all of which were equipment heavy and used telemetry and data analysis where possible (I'm back in a wind tunnel reviewing my competitive bike riding position shortly).

I started out as a dinghy sailor and spent 15 years as a beach lifeguard but I never really enjoyed activity unless there was some form of measurement involved. I've often wondered when I would hit the age whereby I feel the need to read Scott Tinley's book about competitive sporting retirement - 'Racing the Sunset'.

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 01, 2016, 07:16:56 AM »
Measuring? Who said that needs to go away. Figuring out what to measure is the name of the game. I'm sure you knew that!

Grin factor. That's the trick.

Oh! and Beaning. Or is it same same?

I'm a telemarker [skier]. It's basically stupid. Years of scientific study have determined that it defies all logic of efficiency except for two factors: grin factor and chicksdiggit.

That's it! I'm putting a "Telemarking is stupid" sticker on my DW board (not that I have any other board jBTW)

« Last Edit: July 01, 2016, 07:19:03 AM by yugi »

photofr

• Peahi Status
  • Dakine… fun
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Outdoor Photography
    • Email
« Reply #78 on: July 01, 2016, 08:32:13 AM »
Just for reference:

Telemark skiing
Telemark skier
Tele (Tay-Li) ski
You Tele (Tay-Li)

Not too good:
Telemarking
Telemarker

Tele skiing logic: ZERO
Tele skiing grin factor: I have to agree 100% - it's great fun.
Nelo SUP - 14' x 23"
Nelo Surfski 560M - 18'4" x 17"

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 01, 2016, 09:36:55 AM »
^^ you wot!?

just FYI
This Telemarker says...

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 01, 2016, 09:39:38 AM »
Just to help me put your comments in context - How tall and heavy are you and how long have you been paddling ?

A few months after the Dominator came out.  Size no bigger than Kai or any top young pro.

If you only race mostly flatwater - go for a 2017 Sprint not an AS.  Even the 23 AS feels slow on dead flat - and is.  All top riders go Sprint for that.  So drop your COG and go 21.5.  But if you are 200 lbs or so - you may have to go up a size.

But do put your order in yesterday if you want one - as most get snapped up by more serious racers like the chap I bought the AS from.  The only other one available was the demo I tested from a sponsored rider.  And that one he decided not to sell as he wanted to keep it.  So fortunately for me - the 23 I got by fluke must have been my destiny.  As DV would say.

A10 is right about the progression though - and it seems you are just starting out in SUP.  And yes the $/lb is all relative - try car racing or yacht racing.  Hint hint.

The dark side is DW my friend - and every hell bent racer for the very last bit of speed -> eventually does gravitate to that.  Try that.  You can also win a little trophy there too.   ;)
Fast is FUN!   8)
Dominator - Touring Pintail - Bullet V2 - M14 - AS23

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 01, 2016, 10:04:20 AM »
I'm glad to hear that it isn't a cultural thing, and that it is just that you are rude. That makes it easier for us to know how we should respond to you.

Neither "bluntness" nor rudeness is a virtue if it's only purpose is to cause needless discord.

It may be a cultural thing or maybe a familia thing or maybe a personal thing.  But insults are not a good way to go as you can see.  Most do not insult others on here or elsewhere for that matter.   ;)
Fast is FUN!   8)

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 01, 2016, 10:13:01 AM »
Just to help me put your comments in context - How tall and heavy are you and how long have you been paddling ?

A few months after the Dominator came out.  Size no bigger than Kai or any top young pro.

So tall like Connor and built like Georges Cronsteadt?

ukgm

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #83 on: July 01, 2016, 10:36:09 AM »

If you only race mostly flatwater - go for a 2017 Sprint not an AS.  Even the 23 AS feels slow on dead flat - and is.  All top riders go Sprint for that.  So drop your COG and go 21.5.  But if you are 200 lbs or so - you may have to go up a size.

But do put your order in yesterday if you want one - as most get snapped up by more serious racers like the chap I bought the AS from.  The only other one available was the demo I tested from a sponsored rider.  And that one he decided not to sell as he wanted to keep it.  So fortunately for me - the 23 I got by fluke must have been my destiny.  As DV would say.

A10 is right about the progression though - and it seems you are just starting out in SUP.  And yes the $/lb is all relative - try car racing or yacht racing.  Hint hint.

The dark side is DW my friend - and every hell bent racer for the very last bit of speed -> eventually does gravitate to that.  Try that.  You can also win a little trophy there too.   ;)

I have been paddling 3 years, racing two, seriously for one. 6ft 3 high, lean build and 94kg in weight. I have a modified 2014 26 inch wide starboard sprint I used for flat water but with my high centre of gravity and need for volume does give me pause about what I'll get for the 2017 season.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2016, 11:33:52 AM by ukgm »

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 01, 2016, 11:59:37 AM »
yugi - kinda like Kai size but maybe with more muscle.  For my age - my BF is well within the top 5th percentile according to my DEXA results.  It says I am lean like a marathon runner.  So very scrawny in that sense.  But have very little BF now since I lost most of my excess fat and put on lean muscle.

I do a lot of heavy weights HIIE and stuff like muscle-ups a lot.  Also love running down mountain trails at full speed.  All silly stuff like that.  Sarcopenia is a concern - so that's why I lift very heavy.  Testosterone and HGH secretion for muscle building during deep sleep.

But anything fast -> is fun for me.  And applies to cars and sailboats as well unfortunately.  Kinda like some thrill and adrenalin seeker of sorts.

And must give props to my wife again.  As she took out the 23 last night for an hour by herself.  She said it was a bit tippy - but much easier than when she first started on the Dominator.  Told her that's what it should feel like - and she actually believed me for once.  Haha.

But ukgm - the type of stuff we go out in - no other SUP paddlers round here goes out in.  It sometimes is real crazy out there.  The Dominator I use as a benchmark because a lot of racers started out on that way back when.  We use that to play on around home in really windy conditions -> so when we go up to Squamish on our real DW boards - DWing up there is quite straightforward and easy. 

You see on a surf nosed rockered board - it is way easier in steep waves and a ton of wind.  You do not pearl much at all.  Instead you power up and launch off them.  Planing or "gliding" or surfing or "beaning" or whatever you want to call it.  Haha.  It's 100% fun -> and that's what always counts for us.  Fast really is fun.   :)
Fast is FUN!   8)

Muskoka SUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 02, 2016, 04:20:33 AM »
WTF?    :o.  Where did the effin dumbass stooopid Pinheads come from?  Theyre like some sort of dormant virus, just lurking under the surface waiting for the snow to fall... 
It ain't over until the fat board sinks....

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 02, 2016, 05:51:38 AM »
 ;D ;D ;D
Fast is FUN!   8)

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 02, 2016, 12:13:37 PM »
Seems that why the 23 is stable - has to do a lot with the side concaves and firm edge where you stand.

Just paddled this am - and while rinsing the board after - noticed this.  It is most prominent right where you switch to surf stance for DB  That's why it feels so bloody stable and planted when you hammer away.  Very interesting.

Same with pounding waves upwind.  Completely stable once you move back.  Hmmm.  Might have figured it out.

Third time out was a charm - and feels perfectly ok now for up down DB. 

At first you do feel tippy as I reported - but once your body and senses adapt to the feel of the board - the tippy goes away even in waves.  You just auto balance and adapt.  yugi was right on the $.  It was definitely worth the gamble to get the 23.   :)
Fast is FUN!   8)

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 02, 2016, 04:46:39 PM »
ukgm - have you considered a SIC FX14? Plenty of volume for you, an all-waters board, and not too ridiculously tippy.

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 04, 2016, 09:54:30 AM »
Muskoka - check this post dated Jun 30/16.

"2017"   :'(

and Bullet 17.0 V2.   :o

Cheers mate.

http://www.sicmaui.com/blog/sic-introduces-fast-foot-actuated-steering-technology/?imt=1
Fast is FUN!   8)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal