Author Topic: 2016 Starboard Allstar 14 x 25  (Read 52701 times)

ukgm

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: 2016 Starboard Allstar 14 x 25
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2016, 02:50:18 AM »

1. Having paddled surfskis and super tippy boards, I find the allstar 14x25 to be far too stable for me. I wish I had ordered the 14x23.

What is the problem with "too stable"? Boring?
For me it couldn't be stable enough ;-)

For me having a board that is too stable can mean a boring time......but more precisely ......not a lively feel, little reaction to foot placements and just feeling like no challenge.....a step back rather than forwards.

It's a personal thing for everyone and dependent on what you do with your board, where you paddle and of course your own skillset and fitness....and size. There's no right or wrong.

I like my boards to be on the stable side so I can just paddle and not tire myself out....I'm never on flat water.

Predictability and stability is just what you want in a race when everything is being stretched to its limits anyway. Sounds useful there.

photofr

• Peahi Status
  • Dakine… fun
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Outdoor Photography
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2016, 04:05:54 AM »
Too stable or too tippy is going to be very PERSONAL.

It's literally a balancing game between too stable (somewhat of a dull feeling) and feeling like my legs got somewhat of a workout (yet not burning like there's no tomorrow). Having said this, I train on super tippy boards so that when I get onto my chosen board (Sprint 14x23) it feels remarkably "more" stable.

SURFING
Otherwise, I have used the stock fin and super tiny fin on the Allstar 14x25 for surfing (while long distance paddling). They were both different, but the board still surfed better than any other 14-footer board I have ever tried. BTW: I found the 14x27 Allstar to be actually difficult to surf as well, but I ruled that one out as me being too light.

The 14x28 has a very distinct and different shape... go figure!
I have not tried it, but from the looks of it, it should surf very well for bigger guys (less volume, more rounded nose that doesn't grab, etc...).
Nelo SUP - 14' x 23"
Nelo Surfski 560M - 18'4" x 17"

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2016, 10:53:47 AM »
Yep - got the 2016 AS 23 CS.  My wife tried it and stayed 100% dry - so her record remains intact.   :)

Paddled out in the ocean for a mile or so - then turned back.  And can say the board is ok upwind - but very exceptional DB.  Catches virtually any bump because it is made to glide and plane.  The 23 width minimizes deceleration from form drag to a substantial degree.

Our impression is that it is definitely an AW board - not really a flat water race board.  So in that regards falls precisely within the design parameters.  Would say the 2015 AS is probably faster on flat - which confirms reports made.  The 2017 Sprint would be a better choice for pure flat water speed racing with drafting - mass starts - and buoy turns.

Overall - a nice board.

If the Eagle family buy one then it has passed the quality threshold ;D

Totally agree about it not being a flat water board and better options for that .....but it still is pretty good there.

Haha coldsup - you crack me up!  But not sure about it passing the quality threshold really just yet.   ;)

Here are a couple pics just snapped.  Looks ok - but some dislike the big red rudolf looking nose.  For me - a board is a board.  When we were at the beach closing the deal - a number of random people came up and said - hey what's that a paddleboard?!? - I like the look of it!  It looks pretty.  Haha - my wife loved that of course - and that sealed the deal for her.   ;D

My wife did surprisingly well for the first time on a 23 - and I was completely impressed.  I think her balance may be better than mine.  But No ..... Never!  I better go out and practice some more.  And Luc - saw our mutual friend as well.  Must get out together to paddle again as a big group - all the wives will love that.

Cheers   ;)
Fast is FUN!   8)
Dominator - Touring Pintail - Bullet V2 - M14 - AS23

coldsup

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2016, 11:12:41 AM »
Very nice Mr and Mrs Eagle.

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2016, 02:25:18 PM »
We actually paddled the 14x28 - and it goes fine DB - but upwind and on flat it is slow.  Not slow as molasses - but slow.

Comparatively our 28 M-14 feels faster - and our 27.25 Bullet 14V2 faster yet.  Our 30 SB Touring Carbon pintail is much faster upwind -> and DB as well.  The 14x28 AS feels like a huge board and exceedingly stable for 28 - probably due to the huge boof and wide square tail.  It apparently was designed to be DW specific vs AW.

From our perspective - we agree with Robert that a bit wider DW board is perfectly fine -> and even desirable.  So 27.25 and 28 are good for us - as we sometimes get caught in some pretty harsh winds and steep swells.  And fighting to balance on a narrower board in those conditions - is best left to those with better balance.

Personally - the AS boof is a little ridiculous to me - but it somehow seems to work DB.  Kinda like the Ace boof in some ways.  Am going to give a try right now - and see how it handles a bit more breeze.  The chap I bought the board from told me he makes zero balance checks when he races.  But doesn't win or place higher because he lacks the engine and is too old.  Nevertheless - he is a way better paddler than me.  He is getting a 2017 Sprint 23 CS to race in the fall.

Very nice guy - and by fluke via CL - the same guy we bought our Dominator from years ago.  Very small world indeed.  Now how many times will I get wet.  Expecting a lot.  Haha.   ;D
« Last Edit: June 28, 2016, 02:32:42 PM by Eagle »
Fast is FUN!   8)

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2016, 07:37:58 PM »
Just got back - and made it round the island+ for about 8 miles total.  Legs got tired after 6 miles - but that was ok.  Just sat down and laid flat on my back to rest.  The full PFD was a nice cushion.  No falls -> so a success.  Wind was about 5 kts steady with lots of boat wakes.

The 23 was excellent upwind - ok DB in cross swell - and kinda crappy in side swell.  It is very sensitive to fore aft position and micro foot adjustments.  But oh well - that's what you get with a narrower board.  Does like power and goes well - and you do get used to the rolly rolly pretty quick.  So perfectly ok for an average level paddler to paddle a 23 AS in 5 kts of breeze in the ocean.   :)
Fast is FUN!   8)

coldsup

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2016, 10:17:05 PM »
You reckon the 25 would have made side swell much easier?

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2016, 11:16:12 PM »
Yep.

Seems with the side concave you can roll to that - then stop a bit.  So when you made the comment a couple of days ago about your board having - good primary and exceptional secondary stability - I kept that in mind today when I was out.  Interestingly the edges are fairly hard.

I trusted the roll - and it worked a charm.  Early days yet - and probably only paddling at 50% power - but today was a big day for confidence as was not planning to make it around the island on my first real day out.  Was thinking maybe after 10x out I would be able to make it.  So very happy and thanks so much for that insight coldsup.  Today was a very fast progression and learning curve day for me.  Thought it best to sink or swim.  Haha.

Would think the 25 to be a lot easier in side chop.  That extra inch on each side equates to a lot of extra stability when we tried that board.  And would think your 27 to be that much better.  Never tried the 27 - so can only guess.  But you should be able to take your 27 in some pretty decent wind - probably similar or more - than the Bullet 14V2.  So lighter DW go AS -> big breeze and surf M-14.

The 23 is kinda an odd board - and was starting to feel really quite comfortable upwind.  Seemed to go really smooth with the bow cutting just right.  In time - hope to feel as comfortable on all angles - like on my Dominator.  We bought the board primarily to help improve our balance as we age.  So in that regards it is doing its job.   :)
Fast is FUN!   8)

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2016, 01:14:55 AM »
Good idea to push the envelope on a narrower board and just get used to it. I bet you will.

I hear that 23 is so stable. Can you compare it to other boards you tried?

coldsup

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2016, 04:49:34 AM »
Got to have an unexpected swim now and again Eagle - pretty normal for me on a choppy windy day if I am messing about.

photofr

• Peahi Status
  • Dakine… fun
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Outdoor Photography
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2016, 05:30:27 AM »
When it's all said and done, please remember that "it's only water".
Once we get that through our heads, we tend to be more relaxed, and actually even fall less.
Nelo SUP - 14' x 23"
Nelo Surfski 560M - 18'4" x 17"

coldsup

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2016, 07:59:46 AM »
I like to get my swim  with early - then I settle down  ;D ;D

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2016, 11:43:23 AM »
Haha - hear you on that coldsup.  Might try that to shake off the nerves.   ;D
Fast is FUN!   8)

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2016, 11:48:07 AM »
yugi - some that spring to mind - rated by most to least difficult to ride for me -

1     2015 Race 25 - too much roll - fast nose
2     2016 All Star 23 - roll somewhat stops at side plane - ok nose
3     2013 Sprint 25 - was going to buy it - but the bottom had a crack
4     2014 All Star 26 - fairly stable - nose too wide
5     2013 Ace 27 - roll only goes so far - efficient pintail
6     2016 All Star 25 - quite stable - good for DW

The only ones that suited my use for flat and upwind DW use in the ocean were the Sprint 25 and All Star 23.  Would have loved to have gotten that Sprint years ago - but guess it was not meant to be.   :)

Fast is FUN!   8)

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2016, 11:53:31 AM »
Yes photo - will try to remember your words of wisdom.   ;D  :o   ;D

Thank you so much.
Fast is FUN!   8)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal