Author Topic: Scots starting to downwind  (Read 8231 times)

coldsup

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: Scots starting to downwind
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2016, 09:51:05 AM »
Thanks Eagle....i got a taste that's for sure. The M14 glides well when it's on.

The winds are pretty good on the east side of Scotland ....pretty perfect ....but yours truly managed to get the wee one's cold so not feeling that great just now....grrrrrr

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2016, 03:28:16 PM »
Do not take it out in higher wind -> unless you want to be a full-on planing addict.   ;D
Fast is FUN!   8)
Dominator - Touring Pintail - Bullet V2 - M14 - AS23

Muskoka SUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2016, 04:42:58 PM »
Thanks Eagle....i got a taste that's for sure. The M14 glides well when it's on.

The winds are pretty good on the east side of Scotland ....pretty perfect ....but yours truly managed to get the wee one's cold so not feeling that great just now....grrrrrr
So, a wee dram or two?  What could go wrong...  ;)
It ain't over until the fat board sinks....

coldsup

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2016, 01:24:45 AM »
I think a couple of the crew are intending to go out - 50 mph + winds forecast

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2016, 03:02:33 AM »
Tell them to make sure that the wind is pointing in *exactly* the direction they need to go. At those wind speeds if the wind and your intended course are more than about 10 degrees apart, you risk problems.

If you have vans with boards on the roof, the best way of getting them off is to turn the van so the rear is pointing into the wind, then loosen but do not remove the straps, and pull the boards off from the rear, into the wind, using two or more people. It is quite hard to get a board off a high van roof safely in 50mph+ winds. Unless you are careful, damage to van, board or person is about 50% likely.

Good luck!

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2016, 06:01:33 AM »
^ true all that.

Beware nOOb DWers the windage on these big boards. As a windsurfer we grow used to this as we only do our sport in big winds.

I'm not a fan of gadgets, hence my [backward] migration to SUP, bu this is pretty "a propos" to this thread-drift:

https://www.facebook.com/334602236638927/videos/884749838290828/?fref=nf

Tall vans are really tricky to get boards up and off.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2016, 06:03:17 AM by yugi »

coldsup

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2016, 06:27:12 AM »
Good advice folks - I'm going to get a good few runs under my belt first before doing anything in the 50mph bracket. Will pass on that info.

coldsup

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2016, 01:41:31 AM »
Snow blizzards and it is really Baltic so they've called off...good move. Suf tomorrow instead.

UKRiverSurfers

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2016, 06:17:50 AM »
Winds are forecast to be gusting 80-90 mph tomorrow in N Scotland. That would be a record-beating downwinder! But, just as I would sit out a big swell at Peahi, I would also sit out a 80 knot gale in freezing cold winter Scotland. That really would be perhaps the most extreme thing anyone could do on a SUP.

Plenty of good options on The North Shore in that wind speed.. :)

Its a total different ball game up there though, make Hayling look like kids stuff. The waves are more comparable Nias and the coast is more comparable to Iceland.
SIC Bullet 17v2 Custom
Richmond Custom Carbon 16'
Starboard Point 14'8
Starboard K15
Starboard Astro Touring 14
Starboad Big Easy
Redpaddle Ride 10'6
Badfish Rivershred
Jackson SUPercharger
Badfish MVP 9'o
Badfish IRS 7'2
Pack OC1 12'

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2016, 07:37:37 AM »
You'd be crazy to go out in coastal waters above 60 knots, unless there were very special circumstances indeed. After my last experience in 50 knots I think I've found my limit.

Hayling IS kid's stuff.  That is the whole point of that run. If you want more excitement on the South coast then go Selsey to Elmer in over 30 knots and when there is a couple of metres of swell running. But it's a bit sketchy in winter because of the distance from shore, the cold, and the lack of daylight hours. People keep saying to me "why don't you take a safety boat", but you'd never find anyone to take a boat out there in those conditions. There is a reason why there is a big lifeboat station right where the run starts.

Sandbanks to Boscombe or beyond is a safer run that is still a step up from Hayling. You are a lot closer to shore.

UKRiverSurfers

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2016, 02:27:25 AM »
Thats why its a different ball game up there. The coast is so varied that if a 60-80 knot wind is blowing, you can still find shelter somewhere. When its blowing f9-10 from the west, loads of little hidden reefs start breaking in places you wouldn't believe, for longer than you'll see anywhere else in the UK.

Since I moved back I just have to make do with the South Coast :(

Thats why you'll never see me at any events in the south.. They are all being held in  places that are just not worth bothering with IMHO.. I mean surfing on grumbly close out beaches of the SW???? Whats the point? :D

I keep telling the guys to put an event on in a serious bit of coast - Sutherland, Caithness, Lewis or Tiree and I'll be there but nobody wants to go up there... Too worried abut the weather :D

Talk about rescue etc? Not much chance up there, where not even VHF radios work in some places, let alone mob phones.

If you get into bother - only you can get yourself out of bother, unless you get lucky.

Trust me - if you make the trip up there, you'll see what I mean, but its unlikely you will. The usual excuse folk give is

"What 1000 miles to drive, I can go to somewhere warm in less time for less money"

Or something along those lines..  ::)
« Last Edit: January 31, 2016, 02:32:59 AM by UKRiverSurfers »
SIC Bullet 17v2 Custom
Starboard Point 14'8
Starboard K15
Starboad Big Easy
Redpaddle Ride 10'6
Badfish Rivershred
Jackson SUPercharger
Badfish MVP 9'o
Badfish IRS 7'2
Pack OC1 12'

dingfix

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2016, 11:05:46 AM »
There's a lot in what you say about Scotland, just want to make a couple of observations.  East coast Scotland and England isn't a great place in strong westerlies, next get-out point is Norway!

Grumbly close out beaches of the south west; I've spent a lot of time down there, breaks like Croyde, Saunton and a bunch of less well known spots frequently deliver great waves and are world class on the right day.

UKRiverSurfers

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2016, 12:36:14 PM »
Well IMO - the East coast is the best place in England. Scottish East Coast of course isn't as good as Caithness but it too has some of the longest most perfect waves, all breaking over perfect bathymetry with no sand in sight :D
SIC Bullet 17v2 Custom
Starboard Point 14'8
Starboard K15
Starboad Big Easy
Redpaddle Ride 10'6
Badfish Rivershred
Jackson SUPercharger
Badfish MVP 9'o
Badfish IRS 7'2
Pack OC1 12'

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2016, 12:49:35 PM »
Let's not forget that Newquay and area is the surfing capital of the UK. And that is in the SW.

And I don't think Thurso is any secret. It's one of the best known reef breaks in Europe, and has hosted various international comps. Scotland is hardly a secret surf destination.

And as for ""What 1000 miles to drive, I can go to somewhere warm in less time for less money", well, they are pretty good arguments. It's often cheaper and quicker to go to eg. Fuerteventura and get world-class waves in hot sun and warm seas that will keep the girlfriend/family happy. You've got to be realistic about what most people want from their time off. Anyone who would try to argue that Scotland is a better surf destination than the Canaries (or even France/Portugal) has a job on thir hands.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2016, 01:11:14 PM by Area 10 »

UKRiverSurfers

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2016, 01:29:56 PM »
Unless you go, you'll never know..  8)
SIC Bullet 17v2 Custom
Starboard Point 14'8
Starboard K15