Author Topic: Cheap Electric fatbike  (Read 95542 times)

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Cheap Electric fatbike
« Reply #120 on: September 26, 2016, 07:57:03 AM »
The learning curve is steep. 

1) Shocks: I consider these a must not because they generally soften the ride but they make unexpected hits at 15 mph + tolerable.  As Pono suggested the shocks when cruising might not be doing as much as the softer tires.  But from my 5,000 miles of experience on my last bike there are plenty of holes in the road that you hit even on your normal commute that are terrible without the front shock

2) Power: I am now convinced this has more power than my last bike evident from the fact I can spin out in dirt from a stand still.  I am currently trying to climb the "Rockies Cove" hill with this bike.  It is a trail that isn't quite mountain climbing but is ~ 100 foot ascent over 300 foot traverse.  Pretty darn steep.  I made it up all but one little technical section with an 16" step that I have to figure out how to go around.

3) Legs vs. Power: Let's face it we're all getting older.  This bike will put the kid back into you and you will be racing all over spots you might have written off long ago.  I want to go mountain biking again having taken the last 15 years off.  The bike will get you riding when you otherwise wouldn't and you will sweat and be tired after riding.  So there has to be some element of workout.

4) Legality:  Essentially there are no laws.  Sure you are suppose to keep it under 20 mph, and <<750 Watt motor.  The reality is, in less populated areas, no one is going to ask.  The motor is silent.  When around crowds just slow down.  There will be a crack down but for now you are well ahead of the curve and the laws which no doubt will come when some knucklehead barrels through a crowd at some random street fair.

5) The build was much faster than expected.  2 1/2 hours and it would have been faster if I had googled how to get the sticky handlebars off (allen wrench and alcohol) and the motor had easily fit in the bottom bracket (required sanding the inside of the bottom bracket with dremel flat-wheel sander).

Total Bike Weight = 58 lbs.  Here is a view of the geometry.  Not much space in the triangle.  This is the 17" Boris FS X9 from BikesDirect.com.

Thanks to Pono and Gotwavz for inspiring this purchase. Really, really cool stuff.  And this is coming from an owner of 2 prior electric bikes. 

Rarely, but once in a while something comes along that makes you say to yourself "This changes everything."  Like SUP this is one of those things.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2016, 08:11:58 AM by Beasho »

GOTWAVZ

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: September 26, 2016, 08:57:54 AM »
Well done Beasho!  I forgot to tell you keep an eye out for your motor to work it's way loose after a half dozen rides. Both of my bikes did that. I pulled the peddle and removed the safety cover and loctited it on after re-tightening it.

Also the whole wheel spinning thing actually hurt me....in a weird way. I was standing up peddling up a steep offroad incline and powered on the juice at the same time (it was steep). I went over a branch and the torque of the wheel put the branch right thru my tire. Just saying bring a spare. The Mongoose doesn't have quick release hubs so that meant a walk home. And you go far quickly on those bikes so bring all the tools/repair kits.  This was just going to be a quick jaunt from my house.
HB, CA, Oahu, HI
JK 7'-8' x 28"x 4" = 99L
JK 7'-10" x 41/4" = 106 L
Joe Blair Gun 8-10" x 28 x 4 1/4
198 lbs - 5'-9"

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: September 28, 2016, 11:48:29 AM »
Just throw some Slime or equivalent (tire sealant) into your tire and never (never in this case is maybe = 90%) have to worry about flats again.  Since you are running electric-assist no need to watch the grams too closely.  I even run a tire sealant in my Onewheel since carrying a spare would just be awkward.

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Cheap Electric fatbike
« Reply #123 on: September 29, 2016, 12:05:05 PM »
« Last Edit: September 29, 2016, 12:07:23 PM by yugi »

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #124 on: December 12, 2016, 05:35:33 PM »
Any long term updates, lessons learned, etc from those who built them?

I'm assembling my Mongoose and BBSHD 1000W with Panasonic Shark from Lunacycle right now.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #125 on: December 13, 2016, 06:29:14 AM »
I'm hoping my wife called Santa Pono for specs....if not I may have to get myself a birthday present next month.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: December 13, 2016, 07:15:08 AM »
Bob, I've got a spare BBSHD motor kit in my shop in Hood River with your name on it (and two left in Maui--you might recall I discovered back when I started it was cheaper to import eleven of them than five). Let me know when you want it. All you need is a bike and a battery.

My long term stuff echoes GotWavz. Carry repair stuff. Not because it's a less reliable setup (though you are straining things) but because you wind up in the middle of nowhere. Twenty miles is a short ride, but it's a long walk.

I carry:
Bike toolkit--one of those amazing folding thingies that has everything on it. I often wind up digging it out when I need to do something in the shop.

Pump

Patch kit

Two spare tubes

a little chunk of chain and two master links.

Small charger--slow is better than none, and lunch yields enough charge to get home without grinding. A 60-pound bike is a bitch on a hill without assist.

Anything you carry you won't need. Anything you leave you will.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

1tuberider

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #127 on: December 13, 2016, 07:24:37 AM »
I was so proud of the nuvinci hub! Seemed perfect.
After a 5 mile hill climb it started leaking. Only had 100 miles on it. I now have
a cassette.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #128 on: December 13, 2016, 07:29:34 AM »
Cool....send it whenever. If Sue hasn't talked specs with you then Santa won't likely be bringing it (a lump of coal again!.... :P).
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: December 13, 2016, 07:37:04 AM »
Just push the BUY Button.

I take out the bike rather than run.  This spot is 3.5 miles from my house so 7 miles round trip.  I can check out Mavericks inside break all the way down the beach, mushroom rock, then climb up the hill and check out Rockies cove this perspective and then get home in 30 minutes.  Fast and Fun.

400 miles on the bike so far.  Mostly surf commuting.  I would still advocate the "Mid Priced Electric Fat Bike."  The front shock is really nice but runs another $600 to $750.

The chain is interesting.  When not well lubricated it starts to skip.  Given all the load on the chain it freaks me out a bit. 

Got one flat when my tire pressure was low and I slammed a rock from the side.  When these go flat, they go really flat.  There is almost no hope of even rolling the bike you almost have to carry the back of the bike.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2016, 07:45:08 AM by Beasho »

GOTWAVZ

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: December 13, 2016, 09:50:56 AM »
OHHH that flat tire gave me a flash back to mine...your right you cant even push the bike when its flat with that fat tire getting hung up.

Long term upgrades for me would be;

1) Better kick stand - I like yours, looks beefy, the stock Mongoose one sucks
2) Quick disconnects on the wheels (I dont remember the last bike that didnt have them standard), makes changing a flat more difficult in the field
3) The Shark battery system has a USB slot somewhere, so i would like to figure out a way that it either charges or powers my lights
4) Surfboard rack - Done
5) Condensed flat kit attached to bike frame - wip (i use a back pack now)
5) SUP Rack....WIP
HB, CA, Oahu, HI
JK 7'-8' x 28"x 4" = 99L
198 lbs - 5'-9"

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: December 13, 2016, 11:45:58 AM »
There is a USB slot at the Base of the Cycle computer.  I ordered mine from Lunacycle so it all came complete.  However rather than monkey around trying to find a super juiced USB powered LED Headlamp I just bought this one from Amazon.  $25 - Done. 

It recharges (in fact you could use the USB recharger to plug into the USB), and it nearly as bright as a truck headlight.  Great for speeding down the beach at night. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01H2XNVQM/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Kickstand was here.  I like this form factor because it doesn't get in the way of reversing pedals:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FIKIK7C/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #132 on: December 13, 2016, 12:42:18 PM »

Here is mine. Built for getting back to my van after a 7 mile down wind kite surf session. My plan is to lock bike around street sign post in highly visible area. Where a thief using cutoff wheel, shooting sparks cutting my hardened steel might attract attention.

Mine gives me power without peddling. Also with peddling. I can just ride it like a motorcycle. Although I'm not. I peddle on the beach as to not draw attention. I'm running back to my van on the beach. I selected off road programming when I ordered it.

Riding in soft sand is easy, but it jars your teeth out going fast.

I had to use Beasho style kickstand. Otherwise bike fell over with my board and kite weight on it.

Walmart jacked the price to $249. Then they did a roll back to $219. Amazon followed suit. Then I saw Academy Sports had it for $199. I paid too much at $249
« Last Edit: December 13, 2016, 12:50:25 PM by DW »

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: December 13, 2016, 01:13:06 PM »
I use this:http://www.backcountry.com/blackburn-outpost-seat-pack-dry-bag

Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

GOTWAVZ

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: December 13, 2016, 05:26:01 PM »

Here is mine. Built for getting back to my van after a 7 mile down wind kite surf session. My plan is to lock bike around street sign post in highly visible area.

How are you doing this? Dropping your bike off first then driving up wind?  I like it!
I was going to try and do the same with two bikes and my son but need to set up a double seat, not sure I trust that weight.

Love the banana seat...so ugly no one will steal it :)
HB, CA, Oahu, HI
JK 7'-8' x 28"x 4" = 99L
198 lbs - 5'-9"

* Recent Posts

post Re: GPT 5, Sam Altman, What's coming
[Random]
PonoBill
March 17, 2024, 05:30:44 PM
post Re: 2024 North Mode Pro wings:
[Classifieds]
cnski
March 17, 2024, 05:09:04 PM
post Re: HOT Chicks on Stand Up Paddle Boards!
[SUP General]
burchas
March 17, 2024, 08:50:00 AM
[SUP General]
Night Wing
March 16, 2024, 07:02:05 PM
[SUP General]
blueplanetsurf
March 16, 2024, 03:28:57 PM
[Random]
LaPerouseBay
March 14, 2024, 12:38:42 PM
[Random]
LaPerouseBay
March 13, 2024, 07:59:28 PM
post Re: FS - Ocean Rodeo Glide A-Series Wings (3m/ 4m / 5m), USA
[Classifieds]
StellaBlu
March 12, 2024, 07:27:21 AM
post FS - Kalama Barracuda
[Classifieds]
VB_Foil
March 11, 2024, 05:43:58 PM
post Re: Vision Pro
[Random]
Bean
March 11, 2024, 03:46:42 PM
[Random]
PonoBill
March 09, 2024, 11:06:32 AM
post Happy International Women's Day, lady zoners!
[General Discussion]
LaPerouseBay
March 08, 2024, 07:28:47 PM
[Random]
Admin
March 08, 2024, 04:45:53 AM
[Random]
PonoBill
March 06, 2024, 11:00:24 PM