Author Topic: Cheap Electric fatbike  (Read 95696 times)

1tuberider

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Cheap Electric fatbike
« Reply #105 on: September 22, 2016, 06:55:55 AM »
Nice bike Beasho

Will the battery fit in the triangle?  Hope so.  My bottle
battery is a real tight fit and requires a little force.

I am considering a bluto shock for the front.  The jarring on ruts in the sand is not tamed by low
air pressure. I want a use report after you get a chance to beach ride.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: September 22, 2016, 08:07:02 AM »
There are a lot of limitations to front suspension on a bike. They're generally useful only in handling impact. The compliance of a suspension is a factor of the mass suspended, it's distribution, the spring rate of the fork, and the damping of the shock absorption. Weight distribution of a bicycle with a rider seated up, with arms extended, can be as low as 30 percent on the front wheel.  If you spring the front suspension of a bike softly enough so that the light weight on the front wheel holds the front wheel smoothly on bumpy ground, the bike will porpoise. That could be dampened either in compression or rebound, but in compression that means the bump compliance is less, and in rebound the forks will pump down with repeated shock. To strike a useful medium the forks are generally stiffly sprung and lightly damped. You can change the damping, but you'll be surprised how little it aids comfort with a stiff spring.

Manufacturers tried to combat this with air forks using soft springs, but air tightens the seals around the fork legs and makes them sticky. It's also easy to lose pressure in one leg and get a torque to the axle with every bump.

That's a very long way of saying you probably won't get the softer ride you're looking for, but when you hit a curb it will jolt less. But tele forks look cool.

Good catch on the area in the triangle. I didn't think of that. I suspect the Carbon Shark batteries will fit nicely, but a big triangle bag battery might not fit.

« Last Edit: September 22, 2016, 08:12:22 AM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

starman

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: September 22, 2016, 09:55:56 AM »
Lots of links to different builds on Electricbike.com forum. This one is specific to Beasho's build;

https://www.empoweredcycles.com/blogs/news/109966534-motobecane-boris-the-evil-brut-sprung-bafang-bbshd-build

I've been eyeing the Motobecane Boris for awhile so I'm very curious to hear what Beasho thinks of his when done.

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: September 23, 2016, 09:15:56 PM »
PHANTastic!

Maiden run.  Look Mom ONE HAND! From soft to hard sand.

On the way home with 2 hands I was jumping the sand moguls.  Really cool and silent.  Quieter than my original eBike because . . . . it's totally silent.  No whir, or whine from the motor.

Less juice than my hub motor from 0 - 3 mph but then it takes it up to 35++++.  I was probably going 40 mph downwind with this thing.  Need to optimize chain ring, chain length but will give it a bit of time first.

Unedited but hot off the press.  Just got this eBike working today around 3 pm.

https://youtu.be/EpRmy7_yiVs
« Last Edit: September 23, 2016, 09:32:19 PM by Beasho »

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: September 23, 2016, 10:44:15 PM »
What happens from 0-3 is that there's so much torque that you forget about the shifter and take off in pretty tall gears, especially if you're using the 46 tooth sprocket. The 42 is a bit better, but if you take off in first (unlikely) there's plenty of jump. Unnecessary though. The controller also keeps the power low for the first second of two. You'll notice that even if you set it to an assist level of 4 that it actually starts about 2 and ramps. You can change that with a programming cable, but it's best to leave it alone for a while. If start in Level five you get level five.

One little tip, when you let someone try it, set it to level one and then tell them how to adjust it, or they'll wind up on their ass and your bike gets scraped up. A neighbor ran my Maui fatbike into the garage.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: September 24, 2016, 08:03:31 AM »
A lot to learn here.  And - Yes on Power.  After my second ride I went to my favorite surf spot which requires a hike downhill.  I tried the bike going down and didn't realize how technical the trail was on a bicycle.  Let's say I wouldn't have been comfortable with 1 hand.  I then turned around and tried going up. 

I was originally worried about the large 46 tooth sprocket in the front.  However the combination of trying to peddle with 1,000 - 1,500 Watts means that the old gearing theory doesn't hold.  You have so much power you can afford to run a little bigger in the front.  Going up was actually easier than going down and its going to take time to get used to SPEED going up a Technical incline.  Really cool again.

For now my chain is a bit short, the original sprocket was 36 teeth so I can't comfortably run on the largest back sprocket, I need to add links.

Friends will have to be managed.  Naturally everyone will want to try it.  If I were to redo my 1st ten runs down the beach I would crash at least once.  So yes I am NOT happy to have someone fling themselves off a dune and crumple themselves or the bike. 

PS:  My monitor is on the fritz, will have to send it back.  It worked for 3 minutes and I saw the 1, 2, 3, and had no idea what it meant, then it sketched out.  I will be riding with a blank monitor until I can afford to take a break and send it back.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2016, 08:07:29 AM by Beasho »

starman

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: September 24, 2016, 10:45:51 AM »
Beasho, I'm being lazy (the info is there to find) but what was the final price for your build?

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: September 24, 2016, 02:07:08 PM »
Remember it's only half the number of links--only half the sprocket has chain on it, so going from 36 to 46 is ten teeth but only five  links. And yes, you count the second master link. Make sure you get the same chain and link. Bicycle chains tend to look alike, and the nomenclature is odd. If you have a derailleur your chain is sized for the spacing between sprockets, so a ten-speed rear hub takes a ten-speed chain. Likewise the master link. Trying to get a ten-speed master link on an eight-speed chain is not gonna work, and if it does the link will be too tight.

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: September 24, 2016, 05:06:22 PM »
Took the bike for a jaunt down the coast.  6 miles down, 6 miles back.  Ironically even though its powered you end up sweating.  AND you are out on the bike when you might otherwise be sitting around. 

My arms and legs end up tired after the ride.  Awesome!!!!!

Cost ~ $2,500.  Here:
« Last Edit: September 24, 2016, 05:09:50 PM by Beasho »

Off-Shore

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • HksupaHK SUP and Downwinding
« Reply #114 on: September 24, 2016, 09:55:27 PM »
That's less than a top end board.. and way more useful and looks a lot of fun. I'm amazed you can one hand on the beach.... What is the law in the US about riding these on roads or does it vary State to State?
SB 9' x 33' x 4.1" - RPC 9'8" iSUP - SB All-Star 12'6" - Blue Planet Bump Rider 14 - SB Ace 14 x 27 - RedAir 14' Elite Race - SIC Bullet 14v1 TWC - SICMaui F16v3 Custom

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/HksupaHk_SUP_and_Downwinding

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: September 26, 2016, 03:50:49 AM »
Hey OS, not only does it matter from state to state but each county and municipality can impose additional restrictions.  In NJ, the rule is 1hp or less (750W) and max speed 20mph (with a 170 lb rider).

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: September 26, 2016, 05:02:50 AM »
they are also rare enough that there isnt much enforcement, though that will change if the wrong peron gets irritated by them

Off-Shore

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • HksupaHK SUP and Downwinding
« Reply #117 on: September 26, 2016, 05:21:36 AM »
Hey OS, not only does it matter from state to state but each county and municipality can impose additional restrictions.  In NJ, the rule is 1hp or less (750W) and max speed 20mph (with a 170 lb rider).

Interesting, so if you are 180lbs, does the max speed or hp reduce?
SB 9' x 33' x 4.1" - RPC 9'8" iSUP - SB All-Star 12'6" - Blue Planet Bump Rider 14 - SB Ace 14 x 27 - RedAir 14' Elite Race - SIC Bullet 14v1 TWC - SICMaui F16v3 Custom

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/HksupaHk_SUP_and_Downwinding

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #118 on: September 26, 2016, 06:09:40 AM »
Just use your legs like the rest of us..  8)

1tuberider

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #119 on: September 26, 2016, 06:51:12 AM »
You look like your happy with the build Beasho.  Great report.

I attended a bike event yesterday. There was 3 rides to choose from. I rode the 9 mile loop with a change in elevation
from 120 feet to 1240 feet. A lot of 12% grade. They called the loop the bummer lake trail. The bummer was no lake.
I started last and kept up with the riders to the start of the grade. I passed them all eventually as the grade increased.
It was not easy but I did not stop all the way. Rode thru the break at the top and just had the best downhill ride I ever had. It was the best and my bike did great. The brakes were outstanding flying down the course and battery lasted the whole trip. I did the trip in 1 hr and 8 minutes. The next rider was at least 20 minutes behind.

Yeah I cheated. I don't care what others think as I would not have been there without the equipment. At almost 65 I was happy to just make it. This was the first time I used the bike on a trail. All other riding was on the beach. Ohhh and my
butt is still sore.

Beasho's smile on his ride should be enough encouragement. My report ought to get you to see some of the possibilities. There is no license, insurance or registration requirement. You can ride places you can not take a motorcycle so why not
try it out. The motor totally changes it. You will not be as happy peddling those fat tires anywhere after you have taken a bite of the e bike.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal