Author Topic: Cheap Electric fatbike  (Read 95698 times)

GOTWAVZ

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Re: Cheap Electric fatbike
« Reply #45 on: August 19, 2016, 09:14:17 AM »

You did the right thing buying from Lunacycle. In a world of sleazebags, those guys are the real deal. Congrats on your wisdom.
[/quote]

Heres some pics of my build....top speed 31mph aprox range 22miles....fun factor 10+
I live next to the wetlands so they don't look pretty....we ride them down to the beach and abuse them...Ordered two bike from Walmart and the kits from lunacycle.com with the high end color displays...I drove to the store and they gave me no tax or delivery fee.

I will post pics in a minute of the progress and the final bikes done...they are filthy because they get used daily between by three kids and my wife and I.

Did Bafang BBSHD 1000 W Mid Drive kit x2 = $1,365
Upgraded to the 42 T Sprocket, 100mm fit perfectly on this Dolomite by Mongoose
Did 2 x 52 Volt Carbon Shark @ $566 each
Two Mongoose Dolomite Delivered to my door for $452 including tax and delivery

HB, CA, Oahu, HI
JK 7'-8' x 28"x 4" = 99L
JK 7'-10" x 41/4" = 106 L
Joe Blair Gun 8-10" x 28 x 4 1/4
198 lbs - 5'-9"

GOTWAVZ

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 19, 2016, 09:17:42 AM »
Pics....
HB, CA, Oahu, HI
JK 7'-8' x 28"x 4" = 99L
198 lbs - 5'-9"

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 19, 2016, 09:24:03 AM »
Looks great! I like the carbon shark batteries. I build my own, but if I didn't, that's what I'd use. It's really dumb to make your own, I have them stored outside the shop so they don't burn the place down, but I have the incurable disease of newToolItis. If I can justify buying a new tool to roll my own, I'll do it almost every time. Making my own battery packs justified buying a cheap spot welder. Now I only have to weld together a few gigawatts of batteries to justify upgrading to a more powerful one.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

SlatchJim

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 19, 2016, 11:00:21 AM »
Gotwavz, awesome job.  Also your garage is a thing of OCD beauty.  I'm jealous on both fronts.  :D

GOTWAVZ

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 19, 2016, 11:29:21 AM »
Gotwavz, awesome job.  Also your garage is a thing of OCD beauty.  I'm jealous on both fronts.  :D

Thanks but my garage is a mess in those photos...almost didn't post because of that...yes I have ADHD and OCD and probably a lot of other things wrong:)
HB, CA, Oahu, HI
JK 7'-8' x 28"x 4" = 99L
198 lbs - 5'-9"

SlatchJim

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 19, 2016, 02:36:53 PM »

Thanks but my garage is a mess in those photos...almost didn't post because of that...yes I have ADHD and OCD and probably a lot of other things wrong:)
That's exactly what someone with OCD would say  ;D

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #51 on: August 22, 2016, 08:25:21 AM »
Nicely done.

THAT's a messy garage?.... :o :)
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 22, 2016, 09:37:24 AM »
That is NOT a messy garage!

THIS is a messy garage!!

;D  ;D  ;D
« Last Edit: August 22, 2016, 09:40:27 AM by mrbig »
Let it come to you..
SMIK 9'2" Hipster Mini Mal
SMIK 8'8" Short Mac Freo Rainbow Bridge
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin
King's 8'2" Accelerator SharkBoy

SlatchJim

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 22, 2016, 09:38:06 AM »

http://newatlas.com/outdoor-retailer-2016-roundup/44657/pictures

Looks like the Outdoor Retailers like your concept too, but they call their version Rambo and it's a fat tired hunting bike. (and probably charge 4 times what it cost you)

Mr. Big, I think I see where Indiana Jones stored the Arc of the Covenant along the back wall.  ;)
« Last Edit: August 22, 2016, 09:39:51 AM by SlatchJim »

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 22, 2016, 09:43:06 AM »
Slatch, Ssshhh..

;D  ;D  ;D
Let it come to you..
SMIK 9'2" Hipster Mini Mal
SMIK 8'8" Short Mac Freo Rainbow Bridge
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin
King's 8'2" Accelerator SharkBoy

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 22, 2016, 09:52:10 AM »
Meister Grande--thanks for that. I feel much better now.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #56 on: August 23, 2016, 10:25:50 PM »
Check out this new Bultaco electric dirt bike.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hxpmpFAlqs
« Last Edit: August 23, 2016, 11:06:59 PM by TallDude »
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 24, 2016, 08:57:32 PM »
It's pretty, but a hub motor?? WTF? 

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 25, 2016, 07:11:00 AM »
What's the downside of a hub motor?  Alternately the upside of the bottom bracket design?

Having used a Hub Motor for 5 years, 5000+ miles what I do like is the instant power on.  Even if you are at a stop you can throttle up regardless of the gear and get out of a pinch (can't do that as easily with the wrong gear on bracket motor). 

Here is a hub motor from Luna Cycle.  Half the cost and might go in more effortlessly.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 25, 2016, 09:06:13 AM »
There's nothing wrong with hubmotors in a low-end electric bike--they are the most popular motors for low power by far. Easier to fit, and simpler electronics. But if Bultaco is going to sell a high-end bike it should be a BB crank motor IMO. Hubmotors have too many limitations. I've built several hubmotor bikes, one mid-gear, and two BB crank motor bikes. Crank motors win hands down.

First major issue is efficiency--it's a single gear device. Not such a big deal for electric motors since their torque curve starts pretty high at 0 rpm, but it's still a curve, and there's still a point of greatest efficiency and torque--often the same peak unless the gearing is really screwed. With a nuvinci, internally geared, or seven-speed derailleur rear hub you can have tons of low end grunt and high top speed.

Second is balance. A heavy device hanging out at the front or back end makes for an unbalanced bike. You've undoubtedly mastered the art of keeping it from getting away from you, but it's a big flaw for most people.

Third is cabling limitation--power has to come in through the axle, which means the wires have to pass through an axle that can fit in the dropouts. The small cable means limited power and high resistance. I'm powermad. There are 2KW hub motors, but I doubt that they actually deliver that, and if they do, I suspect their reliability. It's much easier to build a reliable high-power bottom bracket motor. All of the true electric motorcycles I'm familiar with use the equivalent of a BB crank motor (with no pedals of course) for all the reasons above. My late friend Michael Czysz (gone much too soon. RIP Michael)  http://motoczysz.com/  called hubmotors "tin fiddles". I'm not that critical of them, but I know what he meant.

The only technical downside of a BB motor is that the power is delivered through a chain and gear system designed for human power levels. Not as big a problem as one might think because motor torque delivery is much smoother--the instantaneous impact of a 200 pound person standing on a six inch crank pedals is 100 ft-pounds and the average torque is roughly equivalent to a 1500 watt motor, even though it's only about 100watts average. They are also roughly twice as expensive. The reason that's so is that they are much less popular--easier to build an eBike with a hubmotor.  But the balance is excellent, and all the technical aspects are more favorable. I hack my BaFeng motors to make 2kw (about 2.6hp) in short bursts. Similar to the power output of a 50cc gas engine and the torgue of a 100cc.

No company currently makes high-power crankmotors, since there are so many regulations that limit their use, but it would be easy to build a 10kw crank motor. I know a guy ho did just that. He can light up his rear tire with the bike rolling.  I've seen high-power hubmotor bikes that claim 10kw with dual motors. they have custom axles and dropouts to handle the bigger wire required. I've never had a chance to ride one, but seeing the videos of them performing I don't see anything my 2kw crank motor doesn't do.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2016, 09:43:19 AM by PonoBill »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal