Author Topic: El Nino…New wave  (Read 3644 times)

lopezwill

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
El Nino…New wave
« on: January 23, 2016, 08:54:02 PM »

With El Nino and larger surf this winter in California some reefs that have been asleep for a long time are starting to come alive.  The buoys this afternoon were 16 feet at 13 seconds.  Not huge huge but with the minus tide this wave was popping up.  I've never surfed it and have never seen anybody try.  Maybe this year will be the year?

The inside is a solid ten foot but from the photo it looks like an easy paddle out…which it isn't.  Still…it's doable.

That wave was from a ten wave set.  About five waves broke out there.  The photo is a wave probably near fifteen feet or more?.   Anyways…I love seeing these new waves with potential.

mik911

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: El Nino…New wave
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2016, 09:54:52 PM »
Claim it!!  That wave is now named "lopezwill"
Is that is SoCal?
Wonder what Cortez Bank looked like these past couple weeks.  With all the big wave spots going off (Mavs, Todos), I'm sure Cortez was firing.
Mike

Ron House Coastal Cruiser 12'6"
Hoe Nalu surf sup  10'6"
BARK 14' custom carbon SUP
Fanatic Fly Race 12'6" carbon SUP
BARK 14' prone custom paddleboard
BARK 12' prone Surftech paddleboard
Longboards: Harbour, Becker, Local Motion
Kneeboards: Cleary 5'10"
Handboard: Brownfish

Cardiff Sweeper

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
El Nino…New wave
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2016, 11:39:42 PM »
For me, it is just playing the tides right. I've been scoring the last three days and loving it. While all the regulars have been bitching about not being able to paddle into anything.

(yeah I just tell them I don't surf anymore, I need a broom and a crutch to help me when I do go out.)

surfinJ

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2016, 01:49:11 AM »
Yea, and who's smiling :)

Lopez get on it!  Those outside deep water bombs are a sup dream.
After you figure out the shorebreak pass.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2016, 09:15:12 AM »
You guys have inspired me. There's one of these up north that I need to go check out. I need more standup adventurers. An easy paddle for us leaves my prone buddies in the dust.

Someone get GoPro and yeah, name that place!

laszlo

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2016, 12:16:06 PM »
Is that the "Bombora" at County Line? I have always thought that it might be rideable, under the right conditions, with a SUP.

OUTSIDEWAVE

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2016, 05:16:39 PM »
it looks like bombora or something similar named  that is just south of capitola.  I have seen i break a few times but it is always sporadic. My son lives in santa cruz and surfs capitola and privates a lot he pointed it out to me one day,
SEA BIRDS THEY DO TOUCH AND GO AS THE WORLD JUST TANGOES BY.... SO I SADDLE UP MY SEAHORSE WITH MY FLYROD IN MY HAND.... 10'3 King custom  10'6"  c4 da beachboy

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2016, 07:46:36 PM »
Lazlo, you called it. Let's do it sometime when there's swell!

I also hear there's one a quarter mile out at a certain exclusive point that is hard to access. I've paddle to that point from a public beach and had a ball.

SUPcheat

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2016, 11:44:38 PM »
I think I may have seen that bombora one outside of Capitola today.  Suddenly, a reef way out there where I didn't even think there was shoaling started erupting huge waves.  I have never seen a double to triple overhead that far off of shore around Sharks/41st Street. 

The very heavy surf today must have woken it up.  I took my board to the top of Privates and looked at some strange and incredible surf out there.  The waves were piling up at a steep angle to shore, huge, and it looked incredibly rippy.  One of Steve's (Southwesterly) buds from high school named Kirby told me not to go out, he said he almost got drowned once in surf just like today.  He didn't need to exercise much persuasion, I turned around and went home.

I saw a couple of heads bobbing around out there, and since my fearless neighbor went out earlier, I was worried about him.

He finally showed up and told me it was hopeless, he caught one nice wave and spent the rest of the time fighting conditions, including getting washed to shore along the coast where he waited a long time for things to calm down before he could get back to Privates.  I was so happy to see him safe.
2013 Fanatic Prowave LTD 9'3"x30.5x@134L
Sunova Speeed 8'10"x29.12@131L
Sunova Flow 8'7"x30.25"@121L
Carbon 9.3x32@163L Hammer
Me: 6'1"@230 lbs 68 years old

OUTSIDEWAVE

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2016, 03:52:42 PM »
I had an experience similar to that in the late 70's at he hook.paddled out surf was good moderate tide but building   by the tim ewe decided to go in it was nearly  dark but we couldn't  get in  the waves got bi and very consistent the tide was now boating off the cliff face  this was long before there were stairs there,    so we ended up drifting looking for a way in  but you know the cliffs there  no way out finally we saw some  stair Private stairs managed to get tot hem on a lull ran up and through the back yard of someones home,   It was getting really dicey.  The one thing I  have seen in san ta cruz is the swell hits and comes up very fast, conditions change fast. you have to really pay attention.
SEA BIRDS THEY DO TOUCH AND GO AS THE WORLD JUST TANGOES BY.... SO I SADDLE UP MY SEAHORSE WITH MY FLYROD IN MY HAND.... 10'3 King custom  10'6"  c4 da beachboy

supdiscobay

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2016, 02:58:34 PM »
it looks like bombora or something similar named  that is just south of capitola.  I have seen i break a few times but it is always sporadic. My son lives in santa cruz and surfs capitola and privates a lot he pointed it out to me one day,

That is a different Bombora than County Line.  My son has surfed that one.  I Surfed Bombora in Santa Cruz a lot in the 70's/80's.  Well, by a lot, basically when it was breaking.  Only went down there when it was good though.
Mainly locals, as access is limited. If its breaking good, I probably wouldn't sup down there.
8'5" Starboard Pocket Rocket, 8'0" Kazuma Fugu custom,  8'10" Kings Sidewinder, 10' Starboard Noserider, 14' BARK Carbon Dominator, SIC F16 V3, KeNalu and Quickblade paddles, 19' Eaton Prone, 67" Goode 9700

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal