Author Topic: Board Damage / Durability  (Read 1919 times)

Esteroali

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
Board Damage / Durability
« on: January 22, 2016, 07:26:46 PM »
I am a new paddler and racer. Yesterday I had a minor wipeout and my board shot out from me and went into the mangroves. I have a used SIC x 12 SCC  in excellent condition. I was really surprised at the amount of damage although it could have happened when I was launching  from the dock.
URL=http://s252.photobucket.com/user/esteroali/media/image_1.jpeg.html][/URL]

So my questions are: for racing boards is durability a trade off for speed? Are there certain brands or construction types that hold up better? I am looking to up grade in the near future and was really surprised at how much damage came from so little trauma.

manta

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Board Damage / Durability
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2016, 09:57:47 PM »
The carbon boards generally seem to be very fragile. I had a sic and that skin is paper thin.
Not only the sic boards, friend got an imagine on the first paddle hit the rail hard with the paddle and cracked the skin.
So yes, I'm a bit disappointed at how fragile carbons are for the price. For surfing I use heavier construction boards simply because as someone still learning how to surf I would destroy a carbon board.

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2016, 11:33:40 PM »
Light carbon boards and new paddlers do not mix well. I think you've just had an expensive lesson that we all learn sooner or later. It's possible that there is a manufacturing flaw underlying that ding, but it looks like you've given it a good clout that would probably have damaged any performance raceboard. You need to get that ding fixed professionally immediateły. Do not paddle it again until it's fixed or it will take on water and you will have a huge problem on your hands.

The skin on these things is very thin. Only one or two millimetres. They are not designed to be hitting hard objects. Some brands are a bit more durable than others, but when you are starting out it is best to use a board that is made of a cheaper more durable construction. They will be quite a bit heavier, but that is usually because there is more material there, and that makes it more durable. The SIC SCC construction is aimed at serious or semi-serious racers who are happy to trade durability for weight and performance. But it's not significantly less fragile than the equivalent offerings from the other major brands. Most of them are made in the same factory with very similar construction methods.

RSPro rail tape is also a good idea. If you are a wham-bam-thank you-mam type of person, consider getting an inflatable raceboard. Good luck - and I hope you have a good ding repair person locally.

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2016, 06:15:49 AM »
I think board fragility is something the industry is gradually coming to grips with. I'm always in the look for a durable board that's designed for a serious paddler. By durable, I mean able to take an impact with a rock without serious damage. There are basically no race boards out there that fit that criteria.

The biggest issue is that race boards want to shed a lot of weight because less weight = more speed. That goes against the durability need. I think most board designers design boards for the beach, even cruiser models, then say that their boards are “durable”. Within a limited context they are, but when you get away from the sand they most certainly are not. I bought an Exocet board which I was told was durable, then I tore the bottom out of it without even knowing it had happened. The thing was so thin-skinned I could depress the hull with my thumb.

I paddle in the Hudson, which is actually a fjord. It's all rock, so I need a board that's tough. None of these carbon eggshells would last on the river, especially because the visibility is so limited I might hit a rock before I even see it.

The closest I think are the Bics. The Wing 12'6" is a pretty sturdy board, comparatively. It's also kind of slow, more a cruiser than a racer. The good thing is that Bic has a one-design racing series with these boards. Bic makes some 12'6" and 14' race style boards which are fairly tough, but not as strong as their Ace-Tec construction. (I gave one the “tap test” at a store, but never stressed one in real life.) I'm looking at one of these as my next board.

There are some very tough boards being made by Bounce and Tower. Seriously tough, like able to take a blow from a hammer. The problem with these is that none of them are 14' or even 12'6". They're all designed for more casual users. I've asked these people lots of times if they're going to make something in a racing/cruising length, and I get a “come back soon” answer.

As Area 10 mentioned, an inflatable might be a good choice too. They can take hits very well. I prefer a hard board, but that's just my preference.
Pau Hana 11' Big EZ Ricochet (Beluga)

manta

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2016, 06:37:57 AM »
I agree initial damage I did to my boards was just inexperience but that's not always the case.
Friends I would consider deeply experienced have had similar issues. Some manufacturers have had issues which have been well documented here and on other forums.
In the end you pay your money and hope that either there are no defects and if there are the manufacturer will honour the warranty claim.

* Recent Posts

post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
foiled again
Today at 07:32:24 AM
B-Walnut
Today at 07:18:48 AM
foiled again