Author Topic: How Fast is Your Board?  (Read 13663 times)

capobeachboy

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: How Fast is Your Board?
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2016, 09:16:36 PM »
Ok guys I ordered my Trace and it should be here by Friday.  I plan to read up on your tips especially since I'm on a Mac and will be going for speed & distance on my JL M14 at some of the outer reefs. Look forward to share & compare.
West Coast Distributor
Dolphin Surfcraft
DEEP Ocean Boards
Ambassador/team rider/rep
KeNalu Paddles

S3Dsup

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2016, 07:54:57 PM »
what would be very interesting to do is to take say three boards out  1 at a time  on the same day in the same session  surf them see what you get in the same place.  Did the wave speed vary   form one set to another?   is there a bug difference in speed from the fasted biggest  wave in a set to smaller waves> Then try  switching the boards same waves different sets slightly differ times and tides..  what happens?  and as final  test use one board.  change the fin set up  see what happens.  I gotta get me one these!!!

Not quite what you're proposing, but here's a video the Trace guys made last year showing data collected at Lowers over 6 months from a dozen different surfers using the trace sensor.   At 00:52 there's a heatmap visualization showing where they hit fastest speeds.   

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2016, 06:38:46 AM »

Not quite what you're proposing, but here's a video the Trace guys made last year showing data collected at Lowers over 6 months from a dozen different surfers using the trace sensor.   At 00:52 there's a heatmap visualization showing where they hit fastest speeds.   
[/quote]

This is a cool addition.  Once again a very crisp way to display the speed data over a local spot.  What this also confirms is that short boards, on smaller waves run about 18 - 22 mph.  Given a SUP's ability to catch big waves, and early we definitely have the edge on speed.

OUTSIDEWAVE

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2016, 06:15:31 PM »
I think I like the trace better  but how doe the xensr compare?
SEA BIRDS THEY DO TOUCH AND GO AS THE WORLD JUST TANGOES BY.... SO I SADDLE UP MY SEAHORSE WITH MY FLYROD IN MY HAND.... 10'3 King custom  10'6"  c4 da beachboy

capobeachboy

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2016, 10:42:41 PM »
Beasho or Pono - can you guys tell me the best place to mount the Trace on my JL M14 downwinder?  I was thinking on the centerline in front of one of the recessed deck screw mounts so I could set up a leash system. I'm going for speed & distance and don't care about turns.
West Coast Distributor
Dolphin Surfcraft
DEEP Ocean Boards
KeNalu Paddles

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2016, 12:26:10 AM »
I doubt you'll need a leash. Click the trace into the mount and see what you think. Moving it back might give you more turns. I purposely did a whole bunch of cutbacks for no good reason today, and still only got one turn in 21 waves.

Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2016, 08:28:13 AM »
invite me next time, bill---but pls send plane tkts

in case you get lonely on that head high glass
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2016, 04:23:44 PM »
New Speed record set: MAXED out at 31 MPH on a party wave.

New features discovered.

It had been more than 3 years since I got in a car to go surfing, then my friend Jim called and suggested that Santa Cruz would be the call given big, Mavericks'able size 12 ft @ 15 seconds, but pesky NW winds in the morning.

I took off on a Beast at Middles.  I called out to Jim that I was going left, he too was going left.  We used to windsurf together on the waves so I / we figured 'whatever' and partied it up.  I ended up a little deeper on a 15+ foot face.  I was looking up at his board.  You'll see me emerge from below, and behind him on the first wave.

It was like the SUP'ing dynamic duo at Steamers to the horror of everyone on the cliff. 

What I found is that the TRACE allows you to home in on the Surf-Cam Rewind feature like it was a Solo shot.  Just pull up TRACE on your phone.  Tap through the waves caught, scroll down and see the time e.g. 10:33 am, and go to the exact same time on Surfline REWIND.  BINGO! - There you are!!!!

Surfline's camera focuses on the cliff but does not show the take-off at Middles wide to the left.  These are the end of my rides.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2016, 04:33:26 PM by Beasho »

capobeachboy

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2016, 06:34:17 PM »
Love it Beasho.  Keep it coming.

Pono - tell me this: it Trace a viable device to measure downwind runs?  Can it show bumps? We're having a significant wind event and tomorrow might be pretty good.
West Coast Distributor
Dolphin Surfcraft
DEEP Ocean Boards
KeNalu Paddles

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2016, 06:41:23 PM »
Love it Beasho.  Keep it coming.

Pono - tell me this: it Trace a viable device to measure downwind runs?  Can it show bumps? We're having a significant wind event and tomorrow might be pretty good.

I tried it today--stuffed it in my camelbak. I don't have time to fiddle with it tonight, but I think I can use the data to give me what I want.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

southwesterly

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2016, 07:04:13 PM »
New Speed record set: MAXED out at 31 MPH on a party wave.

New features discovered.

It had been more than 3 years since I got in a car to go surfing, then my friend Jim called and suggested that Santa Cruz would be the call given big, Mavericks'able size 12 ft @ 15 seconds, but pesky NW winds in the morning.

I took off on a Beast at Middles.  I called out to Jim that I was going left, he too was going left.  We used to windsurf together on the waves so I / we figured 'whatever' and partied it up.  I ended up a little deeper on a 15+ foot face.  I was looking up at his board.  You'll see me emerge from below, and behind him on the first wave.

It was like the SUP'ing dynamic duo at Steamers to the horror of everyone on the cliff. 

What I found is that the TRACE allows you to home in on the Surf-Cam Rewind feature like it was a Solo shot.  Just pull up TRACE on your phone.  Tap through the waves caught, scroll down and see the time e.g. 10:33 am, and go to the exact same time on Surfline REWIND.  BINGO! - There you are!!!!

Surfline's camera focuses on the cliff but does not show the take-off at Middles wide to the left.  These are the end of my rides.

Hey Beasho, so funny that was you out there. I went across town to check out the Lane on Saturday morning and got there right after you got a good wave at Middle Peak. I was at the railing and got to hear some grumbling from some long time locals.

I wish I spoke up. There wasn't hardly anybody else hanging outside waiting for the macking set waves. What was there to grumble about? These guys weren't even in the water and you were out there snagging some big ones.  Good on you!

SUPcheat

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2016, 08:40:29 PM »
I think I saw you guys on the surfcam, but couldn't be sure because not enough detail.

Looks great!
2013 Fanatic Prowave LTD 9'3"x30.5x@134L
Sunova Speeed 8'10"x29.12@131L
Sunova Flow 8'7"x30.25"@121L
Carbon 9.3x32@163L Hammer
Me: 6'1"@230 lbs 68 years old

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2016, 02:19:01 PM »
yeah beasho--carrying the torch!

nice waves/rides
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

S3Dsup

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2016, 08:24:25 AM »
Looks like TRACE has been integrated into the new Mission smartwatch by Nixon for surfing and skiing. 
Unique to the Mission are two apps: Mission and Trace. Mission is an app, powered by Surfline and Snocountry, and designed specifically for surfers, snowboarders and skiers. It shows real-time snow and surf conditions. Trace is a powerful action sports activity tracker.

http://mashable.com/2016/03/16/nixon-mission-android-wear-smartwatch/?utm_cid=mash-com-Tw-main-link#CvphWfy51kqu

Interesting but kinda pricey at $400.

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2017, 02:23:48 PM »
Hero 5 Session coming to life.

My go-to camera was an 'older' Hero 3 Black.  It shoots perfectly well, in 2.7K.

However I have found that the Session is:
  • Ligther
  • Easier to turn on/off
  • Sync's better with TRACE

1st attempt with TRACE.  Sync before you go out.  Then shoot in 4K. 

It only took 1 1/4 yrs to get this to work but I can see this being a great feedback tool for speed down the line.  This was in some chop 6 ft @ 12 seconds.

As I get feedback from other people with 'Trackers' I am constantly surprised by how slow the prone guys go.  I am not sure why.  Hopefully this video feedback will answer some questions. 

« Last Edit: March 04, 2017, 02:34:00 PM by Beasho »

* Recent Posts

post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Dusk Patrol
Today at 12:51:49 PM
post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Night Wing
Today at 06:29:07 AM
post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 18, 2024, 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard