Stand Up Paddle > SUP General

How Fast is Your Board?

(1/8) > >>

Beasho:
Surfers talk about how fast their L41's or Pintails can go vs. Squash and Zippy Fish designs.

Having recently bought a TRACEUP Surf GPS tracker there is NOW an objective way to report how fast that board or wave really was.

What I have discovered is that a slow wave is ~ 12 mph.  Small beach breaks can get up to 15 or 17 mph.  20 mph on a beach break wave is pretty fast. 

When waves get serious, e.g. bigger than 10 feet, the speeds get up to 26 or 27 mph. 

Really big waves, with long period open ocean swell can push you beyond 30 mph.

How fast are you going? 

Here is a small Beach Break 3 - 4 feet riding my 12 foot Gun just Cruising MAX 14.3 MPH

Beasho:
Here is a slightly faster day further down the beach at a zippy break.

Waves 4 - 7 feet.  10 ft Board.  MAX 21 MPH

Beasho:
Mavericks wave.  12 foot gun (same from 1st video) MAX 30.1 MPH

This was a surprise.  It felt much faster.  I am the invisible collection of 4 pixels making the wake.

PS: This was a special day.  I think everyone was stuck in Puerto Escondido.  I paddled out to check it out.  100% alone.  Wow!

Conditions were clean so I just . . . caught a wave.  Then I got clipped by an outside set.  Still 100% alone.  My leash stretched 50+ feet but fortunately it did not break, and I ended up all in 1 piece.  Then a guy named Benny paddled out from Nicaragua.  I caught 3 more waves and he caught one before I paddled in for a conference call. 

Beasho:
My fastest wave to date.  MAX 32.7 mph.

This was NOT at Mavericks but a macking, angry 18 footer that had my full attention and then tried to drown me.  It followed up with 3 subsequent beatings by mutant step brothers.

10 foot board (same as on beach break above).  I knew the ride was fast, the TRACE confirmed it.

supthecreek:
Cool Beasho..... good stuff, this should be an interesting thread!

My board did 85 last week..... but was slower when I got to the break.
Not sure if I care how fast I am.... but I am interested to see the figures!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version