Author Topic: Coldwater-surf wettie opinions  (Read 8508 times)

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Coldwater-surf wettie opinions
« on: January 19, 2016, 02:34:39 PM »
Old age is creeping up.  While I've made it through several winters with my 4/3 Mutant, I'm ready for some more warmth.  Nothing too heavy, just a high quality 5/4 hooded suit.   So, I surfed a little web and find that Patagonia is going full-Yulex, Isurus is pushing compression and Yamamoto rubber, RC F-Bomb claims to dry by the time you get home, O'Neill is offering their most flexible ever, TB2 technology, and sadly, I'm apparently not hip enough to navigate the Matuse website (if you don't know they have a vintage (old stock) section, you'll never find it). 

So, is any of this technology worthwhile, is Yulex going to save the planet, will the F-Bomb give me more TOW, will Isurus compression help me kick it up a notch? 

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
Re: Coldwater-surf wettie opinions
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2016, 02:46:04 PM »
Not sure where you're at, Bean, but I've went w/O'Niell fulls pretty much always. I'm in NJ and it gets SERIOUSLY cold here! My current winter suit is a 5.5/4 Pyro Tech. My second winter in it and it's good rubber. I really like the 3/4 front zip on it. Scored mine for $320 at the beginning of last summer before the cold.
Off www.wetsuitwearhouse.com -
PyroTech - A line made of the insane Technobutter rubber for you chest zipper lovers! The F.U.Z.E. entry is upgraded with a Code Red water resistant zipper and drain holes. Technobutter-Air Firewall and regular Technobutter makes up the rubber for this line. *Update* O'Neill just released the Psychotech which now  replaces the PyroTech. It still has all of the awesome features of the PyroTech but is updated with the latest wetsuit technology.

https://www.wetsuitwearhouse.com/wetsuits/category/oneill-pyrotech-wetsuits.html
One could go into a mall in Kansas and ask a teenager "What is a surfer looking for?, and the answer will always be, "The perfect wave"
9'11" PSH Hull Ripper-145 ltr    
9'3" PSH  Hull Ripper- 130ltr 
8'0" Corevac Assassin -127 ltr   
Paddles- Carbonerro PRO SERIES 85 & Riviera Camo at 70"

kayadogg

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2016, 02:57:42 PM »
Great timing. On Sunday I surfed in RI for 2 hours in a 3/2 due to my 4/3 being wet from the day before. Fortunately it was a brand new chest zip so it was doable but still pretty cold by the end. I realized I need another, better 4/3.  I've been researching cold water suits the past couple of days and just pulled the trigger on an Xcel Men's 4/3mm Infiniti TDC X2. I looked at the Patagonia R4 and the Isurus i-Evade. I was willing to spend the $$ necessary to get something that I wouldn't regret but after reading as many reviews as possible, I found the Xcel for a pretty good price and was willing to see if their "TDC" technology lives up to the hype. I was leaning towards Isurus before starting my research and I understand the compression idea but ease of getting it on and off was something that I didn't want to sacrifice, especially on those frigid days when you can barely open your car after a session. It basically came down to the Patagonia vs. the Xcel. I did look into the Xcel Drylock model too but I wanted to go with as much flexibility as possible and from what I gathered, the Drylock model is a little less flexible. Ultimately I couldn't find any compelling reason to pay $200+ more for the Patagonia so I settled on the Xcel. Not sure this helps you at all but I'm also interested in what others have to say.

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2016, 02:58:15 PM »
Thanks SC, I'm just north of you in Monmouth County.  And yes, I have had good luck with my O'Neill's both with respect to quality and sizing. 

starman

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2016, 03:31:13 PM »
Then there is layering under a suit for added warmth. I've been interested in Polypropylene since I read this blog post by Anders Brigdall a long while back;

http://www.andersbq.com/2011/03/polypro-read-my-words.html

This year I finally found a product I liked from ProMotion in Hood River called Polar Fuzz. Quite pleased with it as it does a nice job of adding warmth to an existing wetsuit. If you have a 4/3 and wish you had a bit more on a cold day a product like Polar Fuzz may help.

I also like it for distance paddling where it's cold enough for a wetsuit but you don't want the discomfort or restriction of rubber.

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2016, 03:55:04 PM »
 I live in the UK and surf in water that regularły goes down to 4C. Today the air was -2C. I've had many suits from many brands over the years, and own about a dozen different suits right now. Probably more. Including the top of the range Xcel, Billabong, Rip Curl etc, at various thicknesses and configurations.

In my opinion O'Neill are the best. I seem to get about an extra season out of them and although other brands may be better in certain areas (for instance the Flash Bombs dry faster, and the Xcel celiant chest panels might be a little warmer, O'Neill are better all-round. I'm quite broad in the chest too, and the O'Neill ones seem to fit better, where other brands are too tight across the shoulders. The flexibility is excellent too, and this results in less energy expended fighting my suit when paddling, and more energy free to heat up my body.

And yes, adding layers of polypro thermal vests and leggings is better than putting on extra rubber. It really is great stuff. If it's really cold I'll wear two layers of polypro on top and polypro leggings on the bottom. As long as your wetsuit is watertight you can get away with a lot thinner a wetsuit if you wear polypro, and it is much more comfortable.

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2016, 05:20:47 PM »
When the water gets really cold i.e. low thirties a 6 5 4 is almost a requirement. Have owned Rip Curl, O'Neill, Quiksilver, Billabong, and Xcel.

K-Dog my favorite 3 2 is my Xcel Drylock, but I agree with your observation that they are a little stiff.

I think that fit is ultimately more important as all new suits have incredibly flexible warm rubber. For reasons that make no sense to me I wear a LS - must be those massive shoulders.

Currently rocking a Quicksilver which is as warm as my O'Neill techno butter (no hood no bueno) and super flexible.

Let it come to you..
SMIK 9'2" Hipster Mini Mal
SMIK 8'8" Short Mac Freo Rainbow Bridge
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin
King's 8'2" Accelerator SharkBoy

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2016, 06:08:28 PM »
i like oneill--got the pyro-tech xmas 2014--ive never gotten cold in it--and i surf all winter long

my 4/3 is an oneill psych 3, and it's nearly 3 years old, has been a pleasure to use, and has held up well

technobutter is the shit, and oneill suits can be found on sale
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

supthecreek

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2016, 06:17:08 PM »
kayadogg makes a good point, concerning taking a suit off after a session, that I will extrapolate...
As I get older and much less flexible, also prone to muscle cramps after a 3 hour session in below freezing temps with strong winds...... I find it bordering on dangerous, to take my suit off.
I am tired, cold and my hands are not working that well by then, so pulling off a tight fitting, no zip suit, plus gloves with tight seals, and booties that suck on to my feet with a death grip....
I throw out my back and pull hamstrings.... so I just rebelled.

Now.... I will always sacrifice extreme warmth, for ease of operation.
I cut ALL seals out of my suits, all flush guards.... use FULL back zips, zippered boots.

Why am I answering this thread this way?

Just to let older readers consider the reality of the super warm suits... I simply can't get them off.

How's it working out?
My feet do NOT freeze, my hands are fine without the stupid water seals.... and I can actually put them on and off with ease.
My cheap suits, with full back Zip feel the chill, but I can get my entire suit on or off in seconds.... without hurting myself.

If my gloves are any indication...... fleece really works.... 3.2, five finger gloves, lined in fleece are awesome!
If I were rich... I'd get a custom, full back zip, fleece lined suit, with thicker fleece front and back panels  :)

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2016, 07:10:12 PM »
Starboard has a new semi-dry suit. Anybody have experience with this thing? Looks probably more for flat-water than for surf.

http://standupjournal.com/starboards-sup-suit-the-future-of-cold-water-paddling/
Pau Hana 11' Big EZ Ricochet (Beluga)

jumpfrom13k

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2016, 07:50:21 PM »

As I get older and much less flexible, also prone to muscle cramps after a 3 hour session in below freezing temps with strong winds...... I find it bordering on dangerous, to take my suit off.

Ever do Yoga? I've just started doing Yoga about two weeks ago, three to five times a week, and I can already see the improvement in overall flexibility. My whole life I could never touch my toes and after two weeks I can almost touch it. My goal this year is to be able touch the toes and grasp hand to hand behind my back.

I believe surfing and yoga goes hand in hand. I don't get stiff shoulder/back from prone surfing for 3-4 hours. Some of the balance pose will benefit big time when you surf as it strengthens tiny core muscles for your hip/knees/ankle.

I actually can not wait for summer to come so that I can do yoga on a SUP.

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2016, 08:29:34 PM »
Maybe I'll just suck it up and stick with my current 4/3 preceded by a vigorous yoga routine... ;D

Please keep the opinions coming in, I'm taking notes...

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2016, 09:46:09 PM »
I just can't believe all the people who take their wetsuit off at the beach here in winter. I would severely freeze doing that. I get cold way too easy.

My hands freeze up just taking my mitts off to strap the board on the car. No way am I taking my wetsuit off when it's cold. I wear it home and take it off in the nice warm shower. So much nicer and easier.

I also put the suit on at home and drive to the beach in it so that I don't get cold putting it on.

I wear a 6/5 Excel Infinity which is good for 30 to 45 degrees F air temps, but that's me. I have to wear a thicker suit than most people.

For temps in the 20's I wear the Soul Drysuit.

« Last Edit: January 19, 2016, 10:02:52 PM by Badger »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2016, 08:13:44 AM »
I just can't believe all the people who take their wetsuit off at the beach here in winter. I would severely freeze doing that. I get cold way too easy.

That might be a good argument for a quick drying suit.  I'm only minutes from the beach so I usually just throw a FCS changing poncho over the drivers seat and hop in.

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2016, 08:54:05 AM »
i drive at least 45 mins to surf--dont want to be clammy and get a chill--i dont get cold donning suit, and doffing i can stand around shirtless for a while, i am so warm from exertion. and i always beg help from another surfer or passerby to get my pyrotech down past my elbows. love that suit--i just know i'll be fine in the thing, so less anxiety about paddling out when it's 25 degrees or less, even a few times.
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

* Recent Posts

post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Dusk Patrol
Today at 12:51:49 PM
post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Night Wing
Today at 06:29:07 AM
post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 18, 2024, 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard