Author Topic: High winds SUP  (Read 10384 times)

lucabrasi

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: High winds SUP
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2016, 04:26:21 PM »
.....in my part of the world is highly unpredictable, so I just go with it. It can definitely be annoying when you just want a chill day on calm water and end up having to battle a head wind and/or cross chop and quartering swell. Especially on distance paddles when you are a long ways from your start point with no option for an early pick up. I have been blown off the water many times.
Yep, all that.

When I have been caught out in the wind on an inflatable it hasn't been lots of fun. Really get pushed around and seem to be at a lot more mercy than on any of my hard boards. Definitely more of a chore to keep going where you want. My Kaholo with it's piercing bow hasn't been fun either getting caught in side chop tho my Searcher makes a huge difference. Even with it's displacement hull It doesn't seem to be effected as much by side chop tho it has gotten plenty squirrley and it cuts through a head wind like I never thought anything could. With that said, my daughter and I got caught out on a couple windy days last summer, me on my Searcher and she on her One World (there you go Warren :) ) She did really good. Actually I was quite impressed and amazed at her. I think the extra rocker up front than our other boards helped her with that. Both those days I remember with her the wind was pretty serious and we were going straight into it. Darn if I could talk her into doing a "true" downwind (for us where we are and what we have) run tho.

Maybe this is the summer I will really get a mast and sail but I really only have got like 60 days or so I feel I could go out with one without wearing a bunch of rubber if I going to be doing something like that. (hmmmm, if I get one then maybe the wind won't blow this summer......)
« Last Edit: January 15, 2016, 04:31:13 PM by lucabrasi »

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2016, 05:05:05 PM »
With over 30 years of windsurfing experience, I think that standup paddlers have a tendency to over-estimate the wind speeds when they talk about paddling in 30kt (35mph) winds...that is pretty extreme...

There is a huge difference between a day with gusts to 30kt winds on outside buoys...and, a day where the average wind speed is 30kts near shore...

On the Beaufort Scale, that would be a 7...

High wind, moderate gale, near gale

Sea heaps up. Some foam from breaking waves is blown into streaks along wind direction. Moderate amounts of airborne spray.   Whole trees in motion. Effort needed to walk against the wind.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beaufort_scale

In this vid clip, you will see several people struggling to carry boards or sails...because they've given up trying to carry both...except for Nat Gill about 1/2 in and you can see how he is exhausted...when I shot that vid, he was a big strong kid who grew up windsurfing in the Gorge and moved to Maui...pro windsurfer...and, it's maybe Beaufort 6 at max...

https://youtu.be/yddwM2Hmc50

On gusty days I sometimes use a handheld anemometer to verify sail size...and, I oftentimes check out the recorded data at iWindsurf for a particular site...
« Last Edit: January 15, 2016, 05:12:42 PM by SUPsports »
Mahalos...{:~)

WARDOG ®
Owner/CEO  StandUp Paddle Sports®  &   SurfingSports®.com, Inc.

(805)962-SUPS (7877) store
(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
Standup Paddle Sports, LLC
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2016, 08:32:38 PM »

Everyone seems to assume you meant paddling.
Any chance you meant SUPsurf?

I figured she must have meant paddling since she was headed for the west coast of Florida.
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2016, 10:54:31 AM »
With over 30 years of windsurfing experience, I think that standup paddlers have a tendency to over-estimate the wind speeds when they talk about paddling in 30kt (35mph) winds...that is pretty extreme...

... On gusty days I sometimes use a handheld anemometer to verify sail size...and, I oftentimes check out the recorded data at iWindsurf for a particular site...

We use this simple windmeter to get a true windspeed before heading out on the water.  You can estimate on-the-water also - as you get blown DW.  Most times though - we just go non-stop until we get to the take-out -> then confirm the speeds online.   :)
Fast is FUN!   8)
Dominator - Touring Pintail - Bullet V2 - M14 - AS23

robon

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2016, 11:11:22 AM »
I have no problem believing the windspeed described by many on here as the proof is in the pictures, and video, and there is no shortage of runs on the internet from the Gorge and Hawaii where wind speeds are easily upwards of 30knots and paddlers are out in these conditions all the time. As mentioned from the Beaufort scale, you can see the spray from the swell and trees visibly swaying, and yes when it gets that windy, it can be a chore walking against the wind, and you get pushed forward on your board and really have to be aware of it. Especially when it starts gusting 30+.

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2016, 11:45:56 AM »
It would be good entertainment watching someone try to walk a 14'er across the beach in true 30kt (35mph) average wind speeds...;-)
No doubt that there are people who can do it...but, it ain't gonna be easy...remember, that 30kt average means that there are gale force gusts...

I have a degree in Oceanography...used to maintain a weather station for Scripps...was one of the first handful of windsurfers to support the pre-cursor to iWindsurf (Call of The Wind) with a pager that displayed wind speeds at local windsurf venues back in 1992...early internet times...etc...and, all I'm saying is that I hear standup paddlers throw "30 knot" descriptions of wind speeds out when I know that it's not close to average 30kt conditions...it's easier to survive gusty days if the differential between the low speed and the high speed is spread out...but, not if it's a sustained average of 30kts...possible gusts to 40-50mph...

Happens with wave sizes, too...DOH...really?!?! was that one rogue set wave...the average size waves...or what?

I've sailed Jalama when "wind devils" spin down the coast...flattens everyone...I have lots of video of it...all you can do is drop your sail and wait for it to subside...

Another thing to remember about iWindsurf anemometers is that they are normally mounted on buildings or poles...and, there is a  wind profile power law...wind speeds at the surface are much lower because of frictional drag...etc...that's why it's important to verify or calibrate those readings with a good handheld like Eagle showed to get closer to reality...for people that DW around windsurf spots, you can also guage wind speeds by sail and board sizes being used...
« Last Edit: January 16, 2016, 12:08:30 PM by SUPsports »

WARDOG ®

(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

hbsteve

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2016, 12:28:47 PM »
Also, take time and learn to read the water for estimated wind speeds.  When do white caps start appearing etc.. 

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2016, 12:54:16 PM »
Also, take time and learn to read the water for estimated wind speeds.  When do white caps start appearing etc..

Yes...but, those signs can also change during the season...cold air is heavier and more dense than warm air...and, obviously also less dense at higher altitudes...so, colder air at sea level has more power at the same wind speed...there is also a sun angle factor to the equation...;-)

WARDOG ®

(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2016, 01:39:12 PM »
The iWindsurf meters are usually mounted up high.  The windspeed above water level is substantial and very noticeable when we race our sailboat.  Sometimes at deck level there is no wind -> but aloft there is plenty to power our boat easily.

At water level - because you are being blown DW on a SUP - the windspeed shown is surprisingly low even in full whitecaps and wind streak lines.  But once you account for drift and compare that windspeed to the iWindsurf data -> you can reasonably adjust and calibrate close enough.

Without a handheld it is hard to accurately gauge -> and many will tend to over-estimate the true windspeed.  Over time though - with enough experience and data - you can get fairly accurate with the true windspeed.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2016, 01:41:08 PM by Eagle »
Fast is FUN!   8)
Dominator - Touring Pintail - Bullet V2 - M14 - AS23

1tuberider

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2016, 06:49:02 AM »
Today we have high wind and rain. Forecast is winds s 20-30 gusts to 45. You don't have to believe me, check nws Eureka forecast. I do live in an area where it gets really windy even though it is not consistently windy. Yes our nw high wind is turning out to be great for down winding but during strong southerlies doing a down winder is probably a death wish. Its better to go to our harbor to windsurf.
I don't intend to do anything on my sup. I do plan on bombing around on my sailboard. Hope to make the most
of it. How about sup chick. Did you score?
I have wind meters. I don't rely on them as its different on the water than on the land. Visual check is pretty accurate for me. My sail tells me when its time to change.

diveChick

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2016, 02:34:12 PM »
Wow! Thanks for the feedback ya'll!  Definitely gotta try windsurfing and kiteboarding.   It's been pretty windy this winter in FL and unless it's on a protected river, it's a touch paddle.
Yes, lots of long runs on Okeechobee, but ya gotta get back.  Honestly, I've been too scared to SUP in Okee so far because of the monster alligators...sounds like a new thread!

FeralInBaja

• What?
  • Rincon Status
  • Beginner's mind... works for me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2016, 10:08:42 AM »
I was just about to start a topic on this subject, focusing on surfing in heavy offshores with very low-volume boards. I got some waves yesterday in 15 kt. offshore with gusts to 22-25 or so. But damn, I missed so many more, especially cause the current working with the side-offshore was pushing me out of position, where I would watch myself get closed out on, while the killer left barrel reeled off just out of reach. The pier made it to where I couldn't just do the 5 kt. drift and catch-as-catch-can down the beach. Today, I'm walking to the north end of the beach and not going to fight the current and wind. Beach is 1 1/2 miles long, if I get 3-5 waves on the long drift, that'll be a win. It's weird, only SUP'ing 6 mos., it's like 2 sports. Standing, paddling, balancing, etc., and surfing. The surfing part is easy. OH!!! My best left-hand paddle practice ever yesterday. Finally made significant forward motion paddling left instead of only using it to spin around for waves. Thoughts? Advice? You guys have helped me so much with this awkward transition. Surfing is surfing, and I'm blessed to have found a way to continue. (Bad back, knee and all) Thanks Guys.
Feral
8' 4" S3 Simsup 134 ltr.
6' 10" 88 ltr. Solid Surf Quad

Blue Planet Surf
FeatherLight Carbon Paddle!
Gifted from Rob- Eternal Aloha to you Rob.
Isle Pro Carbon Paddle
Surfercook Special ThankYou!!!

CamOne Infinity and GoPro (Sadly destroyed in Big Beachbreak)
Thank you Wetstuff and NoSaltSuper

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2016, 06:24:15 PM »
30 kts is heavy duty in the Gorge, but it gets higher sometimes. Of course we only know after the fact, but there's a zillion wind gauges in the gorge.  The usual visual cues for Beaufort scale are skewed because the river is narrow (about a mile across) and it's gap flow, which often makes surface velocity higher than the upper levels of flow. Still, the typical cues for Beaufort 7 are often there--whitecaps blown apart into spray and spindrift, long streaks on the water, kitesurfers being blown to Idaho, etc.. If you sit down and turn your board around in the water to look for your buddies it's sometimes like trying to look into a showerhead.  Anyone who has spent time there has stories of boards blown across the parking lot and racks ripped off cars that were fine driving down the highway at 60mph to get there (park your car sideways to the wind on an exposed point and it can happen), but yeah, there's a lot of BS.

Viento is blessed by having the trail wind through trees to reach the beach, after leaving a reasonably well wind-blocked parking lot. The last 100 feet to the beach is where 99% of the damage to boards gets done. You think a 14 is rough, try a 17.5" Bullet. My boards all bear the marks of the trudge, even my 12'2" which can be a serious handful sometimes. Sometimes you just have to follow the board and take the path off to the east. No way to get straight to the beach. Hold on with both hands and try to keep the board from turning sideways and jamming in the brush. Always entertaining.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2016, 06:29:21 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

JP4

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2016, 09:53:30 PM »

Viento is blessed by having the trail wind through trees to reach the beach, after leaving a reasonably well wind-blocked parking lot. The last 100 feet to the beach is where 99% of the damage to boards gets done. You think a 14 is rough, try a 17.5" Bullet. My boards all bear the marks of the trudge, even my 12'2" which can be a serious handful sometimes. Sometimes you just have to follow the board and take the path off to the east. No way to get straight to the beach. Hold on with both hands and try to keep the board from turning sideways and jamming in the brush. Always entertaining.

For sure, if it wasn't for the tree coverage at Viento, there'd be a lot of days we couldn't safely get to the water.

My gauge for determining if it's really windy is if my 14' board pirouettes in the air at the end of my leash when I crash :)
JP

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2016, 10:00:31 PM »
I guess everyone knows the gorge is different. I've windsurfed all over, had a house in Manzanita for thirty years, up and down the Oregon coast, Maui most years even when I didn't have a house here. But the only place that a fat boy like me owns a 2.9 is the gorge.

Hey, is that Bob Gill's kid? I think I remember him when he was about three. Shit... I'm old. Seems like about a year ago.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2016, 10:03:04 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal