Author Topic: Downwinder Vid - The South Lamma Run  (Read 7514 times)

Off-Shore

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • HksupaHK SUP and Downwinding
Re: Downwinder Vid - The South Lamma Run
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2016, 03:51:12 AM »
Area. I'm glad I've got company! That's one awesome vid and run you posted. Fabulous conditions. I'm going to make it down to Hayling one of these days. Interestingly on these big 16' boards with active steering there is something rather majestic about being up in the wheelhouse parallel stance using the foot rudder. I think it was Headmount who mentioned this in one of his vids.
SB 9' x 33' x 4.1" - RPC 9'8" iSUP - SB All-Star 12'6" - Blue Planet Bump Rider 14 - SB Ace 14 x 27 - RedAir 14' Elite Race - SIC Bullet 14v1 TWC - SICMaui F16v3 Custom

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/HksupaHk_SUP_and_Downwinding

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2016, 09:09:17 AM »
Area. I'm glad I've got company! That's one awesome vid and run you posted. Fabulous conditions. I'm going to make it down to Hayling one of these days. Interestingly on these big 16' boards with active steering there is something rather majestic about being up in the wheelhouse parallel stance using the foot rudder. I think it was Headmount who mentioned this in one of his vids.
Oh yeah for sure, stance is determined a lot by board and conditions. I still find myself steering from the back of the board in full surf stance quite often though on my 17. Certainly more than I see in the average Maliko video. Maybe it's me, maybe the difference in conditions.

Hayling is where we go usually when either we have newbies with us, or it's totally nuking. It's about as safe as conditions can get in the 35+ knot range, so it's really useful. Sometimes it can be incredibly well lined-up, and it never gets particularly big. Having said that, Charlie still makes it look all so easy. You'd swear that you could just hop on his board there and do that. But most typical amateurs (like me) would be confronted with an inconvenient truth if they tried. It's annoying when aspiration doesn't match ability... so I spend a lot of my time annoyed :)

Off-Shore

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2016, 01:21:45 AM »
Whilst we can only dream of getting to the OluKai Hoʻolauleʻa (which happened yesterday in Maui) we did get out on the SLR (South Lamma Run) here in Hong Kong yesterday. We're hoping to get Hong Kong represented in 2017...
« Last Edit: May 01, 2016, 01:25:17 AM by Off-Shore »
SB 9' x 33' x 4.1" - RPC 9'8" iSUP - SB All-Star 12'6" - Blue Planet Bump Rider 14 - SB Ace 14 x 27 - RedAir 14' Elite Race - SIC Bullet 14v1 TWC - SICMaui F16v3 Custom

SpaceCoastPaul

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2016, 04:32:07 AM »
Nice vid OS. Love the camera angle.
8'8" x 31" Stu Sharpe WaveHog
10' x 32" Foote

Off-Shore

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2017, 08:54:45 AM »
Some unexpectedly good conditions on the South Lamma Run this week with one of the young local Naish sponsored riders.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal