Author Topic: First big SoCal race of the year ... HanoHano Huki Ocean Challenge Jan 23  (Read 1704 times)

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
This was my first race ever 8 years ago. I've participated in it every year with the exception of last year due to a surgery. I'm looking forward to it this year. This is a great event. When there were no SUP races, the SoCal Ocean Series Outrigger races created a division for us to tag along in. The prone paddle boards were already doing the races, so it was an easy fit. It was Stock 12'6, and unlimited classes only. The 14' boards didn't exist until a few years later. They still have an unlimited class and do at all the series races. They went from 10 or so SUPs (ask CapoBeachBoy he was one of them) to about 250 last year. The fastest growing group is the youth individual and team divisions. These little kids are getting so fast.

If you have never done a race before, I highly recommend you make it your first. You can paddle anything and have a great time. It's just 4.5 miles in the flat water of Mission Bay, San Diego, Ca. I hope to see some Zoners there.  https://paddleguru.com/races/2016HanohanoHukiOceanChallenge
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

capobeachboy

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Stoked!  Over 370 entries in the short course so far the SUP division is over twice the size of all the other divisions combined. In 2006 there was one SUP, 2007 there were 8, 2008 we had 18, and by 2010 it started blowing up to 80+.  Good times watching it grow, the boards get lighter and more efficient, and the paddlers get faster.

I'm glad you are still paddling this one Matt - I've brought a lot of people down to do the Hanohano over the years as their first race (paddleboard, surfski, and SUP) and it continues to be one of the best paddle events of the year.

Good luck to al the paddlers and stop by the ULI tent to say hi.
West Coast Distributor
Dolphin Surfcraft
DEEP Ocean Boards
Ambassador/team rider/rep
KeNalu Paddles

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal