Author Topic: Dogpatch RIP  (Read 12122 times)

supsurf-tw

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Dogpatch RIP
« on: December 25, 2015, 04:30:41 PM »
Well as of today the parking at Dogpatch is over. The high tides have rendered the parking well, unparkable. It's so bad that it won't be returning with the sand this summer. Knowing the State, they won't fix it. It'll be interesting to see the outcome.....
Boards:

8-10 x 31 Egg
8-11 X 32 Double wing Fangtail Tom Whitaker
8-6 X 30 1\2  Inbetweener Tom Whitaker
8-4 x 30 Hyper quad Tom Whitaker (wife's now)
8-4 X 31 1\4.  Round (wide) Diamond Tail Quad Tom Whitaker
 9-4 X 30 1\2. Swallow Stinger Quad Tom Whitaker (ex wifes now)
10-0 Brusurf for teach

goodfornothin

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Re: Dogpatch RIP
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2015, 04:36:45 PM »
Park at trails and paddle over i guess.  Maybe it will be a little less crowded

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2015, 05:11:13 PM »
Hopefully, they will come in a re-grade it before summer.  If not, you can still park at Old Man's or at the Point and carry your board over, can't you?  Finding a spot will be even more difficult. 
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2015, 05:39:50 PM »
king tides and surf take another  one. The historic  shack  at wind n sea got  distroyed  but  they  saved  the  roof  at  low tide.
I  guess  surfers  are  more  dependable  than  the  government .

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2015, 05:54:59 PM »
The entire SanO surf Beach looked at risk of being cut off because the stretch between  north parking and the point was looking pretty grim last week. Another 10' of erosion and that might be it for SanO.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

Weasels wake

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2015, 06:19:57 PM »
king tides and surf take another  one. The historic  shack  at wind n sea got  distroyed  but  they  saved  the  roof  at  low tide.
I  guess  surfers  are  more  dependable  than  the  government .
Aw man that sucks, but I don't think it's the first time, can't remember for sure, but I do remember Hot Curl (RIP), I sat at his feet eating a honey bun after a belly board session when I was 13, summer 1963.

But the shack will return I'm sure, the Mac Meda Destruction Company will make sure it happens if nobody else.
If you know your L.J. history, you'll agree.
It takes a quiver to do that.

TEX_SUP

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2015, 07:08:52 PM »
It was pretty bad in October, wonder what the chances are it will be fixed by January?

supsurf-tw

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2015, 07:24:07 PM »
Sano is the most profitable State Park so I'd hope there's a little incentive to keep things good. I calculated the Dogpatch parking to bring in a minimum of 273,000 per year. You have the handicapped alternative surfcraft area out of bounds now too. Plenty of ammo to get it fixed.
Boards:

8-10 x 31 Egg
10-0 Brusurf for teach

jsupsocal

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2015, 09:49:42 AM »
This is it folks, as of a few days ago....... a tragedy being played out everyday.......
2017 Infinity Blackfish custom 14x26 280L
2015 Lahui Kai 14x27

jsupsocal

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2015, 09:54:13 AM »
A shot from north of the point... both photos courtesy of San Onofre Surf club members.
2015 Lahui Kai 14x27

Easy Rider

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2015, 09:07:42 AM »
It's called erosion and it's been going on since the dawn of time.  Can't stop it. 

This is it folks, as of a few days ago....... a tragedy being played out everyday.......

Easy Rider is the name of my store in Edmonton, AB, Canada.
My name is Warren Currie . . . and we SUP Surf indoors . . . in a shopping mall!

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2015, 10:04:03 AM »
We're not the only ones noticing, and concerned for the park.  From the San Onofre Surf Club.....

2016 President Letter

To Our Members,

Once again it has been an honor to serve as President of the San Onofre Surfing Club this past year. 2015 has been a quite a year. 70-degree water temperatures into November and plenty of surf for all of us to enjoy.

I am pleased to report that our Club’s membership numbers have continued to increase. As I mentioned last year, having a strong membership base is crucially important to the Club’s ability to be an advocate for what is in the best interest of this beach that we all cherish.

Thank you to all that participated in our club events in 2015. For those that were not able to do so, keep an eye out for our 2016 event announcements and participate if possible. These events are exclusively for you, our members. I’d like to extend a huge “thank you” to our board of directors and all that volunteer to help make these events a success year after year.
We do face some challenges…

The current park lease is up for renewal on August 30th, 2021. There is no clarity at this point in time as to what will happen with the access to the beach and who oversees the facilities. The club is very focused on the historic significance of San Onofre both to the sport of surfing and those that appreciate the ocean and nature.

Additionally, we continue to closely monitor the erosion of the beach and the road. This has progressed significantly over the last year. With the high probability of a forthcoming El Nino weather pattern, there is reason for concern. We expect at the very least to have additional beach maintenance expenditures and are working hard to maintain our good relationship with the State Parks folks to assure we keep our beach in the condition we all desire. During periods of bad weather, the State Parks may temporarily restrict access until the conditions dry out a bit and/or erosion issues are inspected for safety concerns. While this may be an inconvenience, the Club appreciates your cooperation and understanding. Ultimately the weather and erosion is up to Mother Nature but we will do whatever we can to preserve the beach and it’s historical features.

In conclusion, I would like to humbly ask that all of you renew your club memberships right away. Upon joining, you will receive a link to allow you to vote for the 2016 Board of Directors. We encourage you to vote… all ballots must be completed by February 15th, 2016.

Lastly, if you hang out with others down at Sano that aren’t members, encourage them to join. With some of the challenges I outlined above, we will need to have a strong membership to be effective in our efforts to preserve and protect the San Onofre experience.

Respectfully,
Brian Ephraim

This entry was posted on Wednesday, December 2nd, 2015 at 11:21 am and is filed under Blog. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.
Just an FYI, the club doesn't care what you ride when it comes to getting membership, and $20 is pretty inexpensive to put another name in the ledger when it comes to the number of "members the club represents" when it's talking with the State folks wrt the beach, and the public's access to it.

There's strength in numbers, so if you we in SoCal really want to attempt to do something about it.....just saying.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2015, 10:09:18 AM by SanoSup »
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

jsupsocal

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2015, 10:28:10 AM »
It's called erosion and it's been going on since the dawn of time.  Can't stop it. 

Well, certainly the dawn of time is significant and does not go without notice..... but when your 66, and you started surfing at San Onofre at age 10, as I did, long before it was public, and accessible only by a lucky and dedicated few ( the early San Onofre Surf Club), and the military (as a dependent I was), MY DAWN OF TIME, is what really matters, as it does for the now many, past and present, who understand that San Onofre is not just another surf break, but a culture onto itself, quietly nurtured by a dedicated number of active, and sometimes visitors of this special place, that has to be experienced to be appreciated for what it is.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2015, 10:30:32 AM by jsupsocal »
2015 Lahui Kai 14x27

supsurf-tw

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2015, 11:40:02 AM »
I strongly suggest all Dogpatch SUPers join the Sano Surf  Club as SanoSup suggests. Not only to have a bigger, more powerful club, but also to have a large SUP presence which may be a benefit as far as SUP boundary changes, etc
Boards:

8-10 x 31 Egg
10-0 Brusurf for teach

SlatchJim

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2015, 12:09:17 PM »
I think I'll join, finally.  This makes me quite sad. I remember a lot more beach at San Elijo too as a kid.  Hopefully El Nino won't be all bad and the beast of an erosional cycle that's expected will add to the beach on it's own.  Coastlines don't remain constant...ever...   It was inevitable.  Time to walk the trails.

* Recent Posts

post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
Today at 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 16, 2024, 12:40:25 AM
post SIC Raptor Foil and Board For Sale
[Classifieds]
addapost
April 15, 2024, 04:25:26 PM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 15, 2024, 02:40:38 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal