Author Topic: Paddle Comparisons - Konihi versus Trifecta  (Read 12319 times)

Rideordie

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Paddle Comparisons - Konihi versus Trifecta
« on: December 01, 2015, 09:53:45 AM »
I am continually working on my stroke ( THANK YOU LARRY CAIN!!) and trying to incrementally improve my gear.  While I have been through several boards over he last several years, I have only had a couple  paddles/blades.  My primary use has been flat water training and down breezers and the rare down winder on large inland lakes.  Lots of confused chop and no real surfing.  My first decent paddle was a Ke Nalu Maliko with an x-Tuf-S shaft and an Extended ergo t-handle.  The ability to adjust the paddle length has been a huge plus when searching for the just right length and adjusting to new boards.  However, the blade would punish you for poor technique and just felt like a truck at the end of a long run or heavy upwind paddling.  So I switched to the new Konihi 95 blade.  I noticed some improved performance and it felt a ton better going through the water.  It is a great blade.  However, I am always reaching and I had read many gushing reviews about the Quickblade Trifecta and V-Drive blades.  I had recently suggested to my son that he purchase an SIC bullet V-2 and a Trifecta 95 paddle with the oval shaft.  He loves both and I was excited to get to try his paddle which is just my size.  We paddled together and switched off blades between each other over several runs of 1-1.5 miles each.  The Trifecta seems to go through the water like butter and I can see where it would be easy on the upper body.  The blade and shaft flex noticeably on loading and an early exit is required.  It is light as a feather and takes a little getting used to, as the swing weight difference is significant.  The oval shaft is very comfortable.  I am a little concerned about wearing out the handle cushion.  I suspect the handles are epoxy glued rather than hot glued.  Anyway, all is going as expected during the test.  After a few paddle swaps, it becomes readily apparent to us both that the Konihi blade is significantly faster for us both.  I could seriously gap him when using the Konihi and he could almost keep up with me when he used it.  No measurements, no gps, no science.  We guessed that maybe the Trifecta would be more comfortable over a long run and the gap might shrink.  I am more of a power paddler than high cadence paddler.  You could attribute it to many things I suppose, but the difference was really significant.  I am not blindly loyal to the Ke Nalu brand and actually had my mind set on buying a new paddle this spring.  As far as I am concerned, the Trifecta is now off the short list for my tastes. It will be interesting to try the V-drive 91 now.  I have read with great interest the 85-95 Konihi comparisons here on the Zone.  After reading, it seems to me that a 90 Konihi blade might be right in the sweet spot.  How's about it Lane?  We want a 90!!  Any plans??     

2021 SIC RS 14 x 24.5
Naish Glide 14 (v2)
SIC X-14 SCC  
KeNalu Konihi 95 xTuf(s)
KeNalu Mana 90 100 Flex

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Paddle Comparisons - Konihi versus Trifecta
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2015, 01:26:24 PM »
Actually the Konihi 84 is considerably faster than the 95 for me, and I greatly prefer bigger blades. It's not a little difference, it's ridiculously big, and it's really irritating to me because I like the way the 95 feels a lot more. the 84 feels like I'm not doing anything. I have a hard time maintaining that higher speed because I'm not naturally a higher cadence paddler, but it's pretty much all I race with now. If I can maintain my focus I go quite a bit faster. Start picking daisies and it's slower.

I suspect a 90 would be somewhere in the middle for speed. If you want to max out your speed, try the 84, and then focus on keeping it working.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Luc Benac

• Teahupoo Status
  • Super Natural British Columbia
    • View Profile
    • When not paddling...
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2015, 01:44:40 PM »
Actually the Konihi 84 is considerably faster than the 95 for me, and I greatly prefer bigger blades. It's not a little difference, it's ridiculously big, and it's really irritating to me because I like the way the 95 feels a lot more. the 84 feels like I'm not doing anything. I have a hard time maintaining that higher speed because I'm not naturally a higher cadence paddler, but it's pretty much all I race with now. If I can maintain my focus I go quite a bit faster. Start picking daisies and it's slower.

I suspect a 90 would be somewhere in the middle for speed. If you want to max out your speed, try the 84, and then focus on keeping it working.

Not that I am any kind of authority to speak but I noticed the same thing than Bill. The K84 on the 100stiff is faster than the K95 on the Xstuff as long as I am maintaining cadence but it slows down radically compered to the K95 if going at a very leisurely pace. I get faster maximum time on 100m all been equal.
Other bonus, it is not hard on the shoulder even with the stiffer shaft.
I am a light guy at only 165 lbs.
On the other hand, I do not get the same acceleration from stop with the K84, the K95 brings a little bit more humph and I would choose it for downwinding instead of the K84 for when you just want the board going on a couple of strokes. Not to say that you cannot get a good work-out with the K84 when going at it like sprinting. It does not feel unsubstantial at all.
Sunova Allwater 14'x25.5" 303L Viento 520
Sunova Torpedo 14'x27" 286L Salish 500
Naish Nalu 11'4" x 30" 180L Andaman 520
Sunova Steeze 10' x 31" 150L
Blackfish Paddles

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2015, 02:58:12 PM »
I do find the swap test with a person who’s speed you are familiar with a very good test of gear.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2015, 05:03:21 PM »
Not that I am any kind of authority to speak but I noticed the same thing than Bill. The K84 on the 100stiff is faster than the K95 on the Xstuff as long as I am maintaining cadence but it slows down radically compered to the K95 if going at a very leisurely pace. I get faster maximum time on 100m all been equal.
Other bonus, it is not hard on the shoulder even with the stiffer shaft.
I am a light guy at only 165 lbs.
On the other hand, I do not get the same acceleration from stop with the K84, the K95 brings a little bit more humph and I would choose it for downwinding instead of the K84 for when you just want the board going on a couple of strokes. Not to say that you cannot get a good work-out with the K84 when going at it like sprinting. It does not feel unsubstantial at all.

Exactly--when my head is in it, the 84 is great for flatwater, and even downwinders since I can maintain a higher speed all the way. But slack off just a little bit and you're down ten percent on the 95. My slowest and fastest southside downwinds last year were both using the same K84. It always feels like a swizzle stick to me.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

LM

• Site Sponsor
  • Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • KeNalu
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2015, 08:24:33 PM »
I am continually working on my stroke ( THANK YOU LARRY CAIN!!) and trying to incrementally improve my gear.  While I have been through several boards over he last several years, I have only had a couple  paddles/blades.  My primary use has been flat water training and down breezers and the rare down winder on large inland lakes.  Lots of confused chop and no real surfing.  My first decent paddle was a Ke Nalu Maliko with an x-Tuf-S shaft and an Extended ergo t-handle.  The ability to adjust the paddle length has been a huge plus when searching for the just right length and adjusting to new boards.  However, the blade would punish you for poor technique and just felt like a truck at the end of a long run or heavy upwind paddling.  So I switched to the new Konihi 95 blade.  I noticed some improved performance and it felt a ton better going through the water.  It is a great blade.  However, I am always reaching and I had read many gushing reviews about the Quickblade Trifecta and V-Drive blades.  I had recently suggested to my son that he purchase an SIC bullet V-2 and a Trifecta 95 paddle with the oval shaft.  He loves both and I was excited to get to try his paddle which is just my size.  We paddled together and switched off blades between each other over several runs of 1-1.5 miles each.  The Trifecta seems to go through the water like butter and I can see where it would be easy on the upper body.  The blade and shaft flex noticeably on loading and an early exit is required.  It is light as a feather and takes a little getting used to, as the swing weight difference is significant.  The oval shaft is very comfortable.  I am a little concerned about wearing out the handle cushion.  I suspect the handles are epoxy glued rather than hot glued.  Anyway, all is going as expected during the test.  After a few paddle swaps, it becomes readily apparent to us both that the Konihi blade is significantly faster for us both.  I could seriously gap him when using the Konihi and he could almost keep up with me when he used it.  No measurements, no gps, no science.  We guessed that maybe the Trifecta would be more comfortable over a long run and the gap might shrink.  I am more of a power paddler than high cadence paddler.  You could attribute it to many things I suppose, but the difference was really significant.  I am not blindly loyal to the Ke Nalu brand and actually had my mind set on buying a new paddle this spring.  As far as I am concerned, the Trifecta is now off the short list for my tastes. It will be interesting to try the V-drive 91 now.  I have read with great interest the 85-95 Konihi comparisons here on the Zone.  After reading, it seems to me that a 90 Konihi blade might be right in the sweet spot.  How's about it Lane?  We want a 90!!  Any plans??     

It seems people must have some sort of E.S.P or something; the topic of a 90 Konihi has come up with me quite a bit recently & actually we are working on something in that range but it won't be a Konihi, but rather the Konihis more "aggressive" brother. That's about all I can say about it for now but we're planning on it's release this (N. America) spring. I've taken what we've learned from the Konihi & tried to expand on it a bit. It'll probably come in a 90 sq. in & (roughtly) 82 sq. in. to both compliment the Konihi line but also since there's some other things going on that will make the smaller sizes (hopefully) work better. I'll keep you guys filled in as things progress. Currently the blade design is done but we haven't done much in the way of testing yet, hopefully very soon though.

Luc Benac

• Teahupoo Status
  • Super Natural British Columbia
    • View Profile
    • When not paddling...
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2015, 08:56:39 PM »
I'll keep you guys filled in as things progress. Currently the blade design is done but we haven't done much in the way of testing yet, hopefully very soon though.

What you really need is a beginner using the new blade during the winter :-) and that can compare to the K84 and K95 having both.....

Cheers,

Luc
Sunova Allwater 14'x25.5" 303L Viento 520
Sunova Torpedo 14'x27" 286L Salish 500
Naish Nalu 11'4" x 30" 180L Andaman 520
Sunova Steeze 10' x 31" 150L
Blackfish Paddles

Rideordie

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2015, 11:50:06 AM »
Thanks for all of the comments guys.  I like going fast, but since I am not naturally a high cadence paddler, I thought a 90 might be the a good compromise.  I am, intrigued by the thought of significant speed uplift and I might buy an 84 for my wife and see if I like it.  Need to get her a new blade anyway.  She is sporting a Maliko 95 and I know it's too much blade for her.  Gosh, I love the interchangeability of these paddle components.  Don't ever change that Lane!!  I may pick up the new "aggressive 90" with the 100 flex in the spring as well.  With all of these blade options, I should be able to find the sweet spot.   8)                   
2021 SIC RS 14 x 24.5
Naish Glide 14 (v2)
SIC X-14 SCC  
KeNalu Konihi 95 xTuf(s)
KeNalu Mana 90 100 Flex

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2015, 08:05:55 AM »
Rideordie, from your description of the Konihi 95 (I can't find one to test), it sounds like the V-Drive 91
will be to your liking, It is very different from the Trifecta.

I have both Trifecta 86 and V-Drive 91 and I lean towards the Tri 86, I found I'm faster using it
than the VD 91 (I'm 5.8/175, my average stroke rate is between  42-45 s/min).

It took a while to make the adjustments but I'm ripping the rewards. You were on point with the assumption the Trifecta would be better suited for long distance, other benefits are better performance going upwind and upstream IMO.

The VD 91 on the other hand is the most stable paddle I've tested, it will grip the water no matter what,
even when super tired and loosing form. it's a curse and a blessing, the curse being, it will not let you off
when you're tired and you'll always have to pull harder (that applies for upwind as well).
Surprisingly, the VD 91 blade, even though bigger than the Tri 86, it is an ounce lighter.

Also, I'm using the QB oval shaft with the padded handle (no signs of wear and tear for now) and switching the
blades (using amber hot glue as recommended by Bill)
in progress...

Rideordie

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2015, 08:42:20 AM »
Thanks for that Burchas.  It will be interesting to see if you also think Konihi blade is faster that the Tri or V-Drive.  I am beginning to think that the Konihi is as good or better than anything on the market today.  Hope I will get a chance to try the Vdrive soon. 
2021 SIC RS 14 x 24.5
Naish Glide 14 (v2)
SIC X-14 SCC  
KeNalu Konihi 95 xTuf(s)
KeNalu Mana 90 100 Flex

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2015, 08:48:52 AM »
I haven't tried a V-drive, but Gregg (Covesurfer) has one, and he's also got a K95. I should stick my 84 on K95 shaft and do some time trials. He's a fast little shit, so it will be a good test.

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2015, 09:11:26 AM »
Thanks for that Burchas.  It will be interesting to see if you also think Konihi blade is faster that the Tri or V-Drive.  I am beginning to think that the Konihi is as good or better than anything on the market today.  Hope I will get a chance to try the Vdrive soon. 

I'm really looking to test the Konihi. Read so many good things about it. I know there is a phantom paddler on my stretch of the river who uses the Konihi but I was never able to pin him down. I will get there eventually.
in progress...

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2015, 09:35:44 AM »
I am going to do some time trials this weekend:

Konihi 95 vs. Maliko vs. Molokai and maybe a few Kialoa's. 

I will not tell the participants which should be faster.  So it will truly be a blind 'taste' test by beginner level paddlers. 

Having surfed with all of these paddles over the past 4 years I am now 100% on the Konihi 95 in the surf.  At first it felt a little bit tinny.  But I have settled into loving the Konihi.  Much less swing weight, 2" overhead, and enough power once I got used to it. 

I was surfing in 12 ft @ 17 second conditions 2 weeks ago on a 12 foot gun and found myself on a 10+ foot wave.  I rode the thing for 200 yards and when I kicked out I realized the wave NEVER BROKE.  Could we be getting into the unridden realm with these new technologies?

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2015, 09:38:06 AM »
Boyum likes it for surf too. I've never gotten used to it pulling so damned dead straight and sometimes catching the wing on a brace.  I found you can't turn by reaching out to the side with the paddle--it pulls straight towards you and doesn't apply torque. Every turn you have to step back for. Good discipline I guess, but sometimes it's nice to have a paddle do what YOU want.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2015, 10:37:01 AM by PonoBill »

Rideordie

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2015, 01:45:44 PM »
I agree, it is time for big paddle test!!  Gather up the contenders and make it happen!!  Based on my recent experience, my intuition is that the Ke Nalus will surprise the many of the Quickblade faithful.  I know that you can drive yourself crazy with the science of testing and measurement in trying to accurately say how much faster one is compared to the other.  However, simply swapping paddles while paddling with my son was good enough for me to form an opinion on the Trifecta 95 and the Konihi 95.  This test was the first real serious paddle comparison that I have ever done, but we agreed on what we found together. 

2021 SIC RS 14 x 24.5
Naish Glide 14 (v2)
SIC X-14 SCC  
KeNalu Konihi 95 xTuf(s)
KeNalu Mana 90 100 Flex

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal