Author Topic: Hawling Island Downwind, M14 and Rail  (Read 4486 times)

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Hawling Island Downwind, M14 and Rail
« on: December 01, 2015, 07:49:39 AM »
Just found this. This any one of you guys?

Festive fun!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpavQyrf6eI

Wish we saw more of the Rail. If it's one of you guys, or your buddies, lets see more of the Rail please.

coldsup

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: Hawling Island Downwind, M14 and Rail
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2015, 11:01:53 AM »
The guy with the green board is the UK JL rep the other his buddy on the 26 Rail

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2015, 11:12:15 AM »
The Rail almost looks like it has soft rails! <gasp>

true?

coldsup

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2015, 12:02:29 PM »
The Rail almost looks like it has soft rails! <gasp>

true?

I just asked the chap in the vid. M14 sharp rails go whole length of board nearly but on Rail the sharp edges are on the tail but the rest are not quite as sharp but tucked under. The hull is quite diff though. He says it is definitely faster than the M14. The two of them were side by side in F8 to F 10 gale just letting the wind blow them and the Rail was picking up much more of the bumps. Hope that helps. If you want to get more from him I am sure he will help answer questions. He worked with Jimmy on the board and the new Ocean racer.

UKRiverSurfers

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2015, 12:24:42 PM »
Probably because of the weight difference Steve..

That rail is as light as a feather - really.

SIC Bullet 17v2 Custom
Richmond Custom Carbon 16'
Starboard Point 14'8
Starboard K15
Starboard Astro Touring 14
Starboad Big Easy
Redpaddle Ride 10'6
Badfish Rivershred
Jackson SUPercharger
Badfish MVP 9'o
Badfish IRS 7'2
Pack OC1 12'

coldsup

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2015, 12:43:55 PM »
Probably because of the weight difference Steve..

That rail is as light as a feather - really.

Just like you and me Dave😃 I'm just repeating - you reckon a couple of KG at most would make that much difference?  If that's the case I could have a new board feeling by just losing some weight!
« Last Edit: December 01, 2015, 01:21:40 PM by coldsup »

UKRiverSurfers

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2015, 01:49:15 PM »
I reckon its a pretty big factor.

Although, paddler weight into the mix adds a whole different angle.
SIC Bullet 17v2 Custom
Richmond Custom Carbon 16'
Starboard Point 14'8
Starboard K15
Starboard Astro Touring 14
Starboad Big Easy
Redpaddle Ride 10'6
Badfish Rivershred
Jackson SUPercharger
Badfish MVP 9'o
Badfish IRS 7'2
Pack OC1 12'

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2015, 03:27:24 PM »
The paddler on the M14 is older, heavier, and a less experienced racer than the guy on the Rail. So it's hard to make board comparisons. If they had switched boards half way than maybe you'd be able to.

The bumps aren't that big either - the M14 shines in bigger ones. I've used the M14 in conditions where other paddlers were completely invisible in the troughs when they were in front of you, and in those conditions the extra width and rocker of the M14 is going to be invaluable. Horses for courses.

It's Hayling Island btw, not Hawling.

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2015, 04:13:34 PM »
Would expect the Rail to fly in those conditions with less edge weight width and lower rocker.

Was a bit surprised the M-14 did not catch more bumps in that windspeed.  Wind streak lines should be enough wind for that board to plane.  Maybe a lighter weight paddler would help a tad.
Fast is FUN!   8)
Dominator - Touring Pintail - Bullet V2 - M14 - AS23

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2015, 04:57:46 PM »
Would expect the Rail to fly in those conditions with less edge weight width and lower rocker.

Was a bit surprised the M-14 did not catch more bumps in that windspeed.  Wind streak lines should be enough wind for that board to plane.  Maybe a lighter weight paddler would help a tad.
The estuary they are paddling is very heavily tidal, and currents can reach up to 7 knots at peak times and places. If the wind and tide oppose each other you can get some great bumps that are almost like a standing wave. But they can be much harder to get into than it looks like they are going to be. I'm guessing that they probably left a bit too late in the tide and this explains your observation. The difference between it being perfect and it being awkward can be as little as 30 minutes, so you have to get the timing just right, which isn't always easy with the palaver of DW logistics.

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2015, 05:28:15 PM »
I'm guessing that they probably left a bit too late in the tide and this explains your observation. The difference between it being perfect and it being awkward can be as little as 30 minutes, so you have to get the timing just right, which isn't always easy with the palaver of DW logistics.

Yes can understand about timing quite well.  Many times we wait about for stragglers to arrive and conditions lessen in half an hour.  That is ok for us though - the camaraderie is worth the wait.

Sometimes we will do a double anyways - so we end up with plenty of good rides - and always ice cold beers.   :)
« Last Edit: December 01, 2015, 05:30:18 PM by Eagle »
Fast is FUN!   8)
Dominator - Touring Pintail - Bullet V2 - M14 - AS23

baddog

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2015, 02:46:59 PM »
So what's the differentiating line between the Rail and the Ocean Race board?  If the Rail is a downwind board where does the Ocean Race board fit in?  Is it downwinder vs downbreezer or more like the All Star vs the Ace?

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2015, 03:14:45 PM »
I suspect that the Rail will appeal to the same people who would want a SIC Bullet V2, or a Naish Maliko, and the ocean race will appeal to people who are interested in a Fanatic Falcon, Starboard Ace, or the new boof-nosed Surftech Bark. They are different solutions to the challenges that oceans present, and have different strengths and weaknesses.

coldsup

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2015, 10:31:53 PM »
So what's the differentiating line between the Rail and the Ocean Race board?  If the Rail is a downwind board where does the Ocean Race board fit in?  Is it downwinder vs downbreezer or more like the All Star vs the Ace?

The Rail is a downwind specific board whilst the Ocean one is a race board.....but you will be able to DW both......just the Rail will be better when it gets more blowy. And when it gets lighter I guess the Ocean will be faster. Different hulls, noses etc so as Area says they will both have strong points depending on what you want to use it for. The V2 seems to have been massively successful so JL now has a board to compete with it.

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2015, 10:06:54 AM »
sppeling wuz never my forté

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal