Author Topic: Measuring Board Speed & Data Collection  (Read 5319 times)

juandoe

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: Measuring Board Speed & Data Collection
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2015, 07:50:13 PM »
http://www.nkhome.com/rowing-sports-products/sup-performance/speedcoach-sup-2

This might fit your needs.  Not sure how granular you need your data.  I can dig into mine if you need some specifics.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2015, 08:42:50 PM »
http://www.traceup.com

Peep that one.

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2015, 07:19:26 AM »
Preliminary Results are in.

100 Meter Sprint course was built using measured string and buoys at either end of the course with a digital egg timer to measure time.

Video was taken from the front of the board, and from shore.   

Unlike distance racing this test was probably more akin to taking off on a wave. 
  • 100 meter sprint from stand still.
  • 2 Riders:
  • Denton 6 years experience, 185 lbs
  • Ruby 1 year experience 120 lbs
  • 1 board:  10' 6" PSH gun
  • 5 Paddles
  • 2 Runs each paddle

1st Image shows the course, using TRACE.  I haven't figured out how to fully download the GPS data yet.

2nd image is tabular information, showing the highest correlation to paddle factors.

3rd image is graph.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2015, 07:30:45 AM by Beasho »

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2015, 07:23:06 AM »
Molokai wins!

Sorted by speed.  This makes me rethink the Konihi in the waves.  From a standstill the Molokai appears superior.  But the weight of the Konihi is still appealing and hard to overcome.

Greatest factor (correlation) to Sprint speed was paddle weight, followed by high stroke count. 

More to come.  Tight speed / time distribution and bizarrely tight paddle stroke comparison despite our different heights and abilities. 
« Last Edit: December 17, 2015, 07:29:29 AM by Beasho »

Glowmaster

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2015, 08:22:27 AM »
You know, I have seen the same results, but didnt believe that big 'ol shovel was fastest.  The theory was the smaller blades were faster.

My data says Molokai, Vdrive 101, Konihi 95, Ho'oloa 95 in speed ranking.

I can only do low 30s stroke rate.  Perhaps 50-60 stroke rate folks may have different results.

In theory there is theory and reality. In reality there is just reality.

« Last Edit: December 17, 2015, 08:24:31 AM by Glowmaster »

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2015, 09:35:36 AM »
I suspect there is an intersection of board and paddle design that yields the highest potential speed. Really long boards need high cadence to maintain speed against skin friction by keeping the deceleration time short, shorter boards need power to overcome form drag.

Even finding that intersection doesn't accommodate the third factor--the cadence and stroke the paddler maintains. I can't keep up a high cadence without being flogged. Without the pressure of a race the Konihi 84 is a very slow paddle for me. Under pressure it's the fastest. But then again it's been a long time since I tried a Molokai for racing (if I ever did). Maybe I should give it a shot.

Congratulations on the test. I assume your daughter did well with her project. Must be very useful to have a geek dad involved.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2015, 10:17:44 AM »
can you imagine life without excel?
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

Glowmaster

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2015, 11:10:53 AM »
Beasho,

If you figure out how to get the .gpx files, I will run them through GPSaction replay for you and forward the results back.

GPSAR tells you how many time you have run it when you open the program.

257 times in 1600 days.  hehe ;D

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2015, 01:06:20 PM »
Beasho,

If you figure out how to get the .gpx files, I will run them through GPSaction replay for you and forward the results back. . . .

257 times in 1600 days.  hehe ;D

Affirmative. 

I Need to get some time during the Holidays.  There is a bunch of cool stuff that the .gpx data could be used for. 

For starters I want to contact the Trace guys.  They appear to be pretty interactive, the co-founder / son answers questions directly.

We often debate how big the waves are that we are catching.  Tough guy rules prevent from ever saying they are 15 or heaven forbid 20 feet (at any spot other than Mavericks that is).  What I did was to take one of the better rides I caught and overlaid the GPS reading onto the NOAA charts.  What I suspected, and this confirmed was a shelf that rises from 26 to 17 feet (Mean Low Tide e.g. 1 foot).  At 4 feet of tide this day suggests I was taking off over ~ 20 feet of water.  Divide by 1.3 and you get ~ 15.5 foot minimum wave height.

Wouldn't it be cool if TRACE could just give you this information for each wave you caught?  It's all just GPS math  8)

Worth another post.

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2015, 06:53:27 PM »
We often debate how big the waves are that we are catching.

If you accurately measure wave height you will be depriving the entire wave riding tribe of their most enjoyable pastime. Please stop now before its too late. 

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2015, 07:01:09 PM »
Beasho, thanks for this. There's a zones from LA (damnit, what's your handle dude who I always talk to at Sunset!?!? Sorry, I'm horrible with names but you are a solid guy and clearly geeky) anyway, this guy knows those guys too.

There's so much to do with that data. I really need to get one if only for working out my GoPro footage. That feature alone is worth the price of admission.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2015, 07:30:50 PM »
We often debate how big the waves are that we are catching.  Tough guy rules prevent from ever saying they are 15 or heaven forbid 20 feet (at any spot other than Mavericks that is).  What I did was to take one of the better rides I caught and overlaid the GPS reading onto the NOAA charts.  What I suspected, and this confirmed was a shelf that rises from 26 to 17 feet (Mean Low Tide e.g. 1 foot).  At 4 feet of tide this day suggests I was taking off over ~ 20 feet of water.  Divide by 1.3 and you get ~ 15.5 foot minimum wave height.

Wouldn't it be cool if TRACE could just give you this information for each wave you caught?  It's all just GPS math  8)

Worth another post.

I've been thinking exactly the same thing. You could ballpark the wave height with position-only data using the ballpark 1.3 ratio with tide and chart data or perhaps get a better number using corrected velocity (perpendicular to the likely wave face) with a little less data required--just the wave direction. Either number would probably piss people off, but it's feasible.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal