Author Topic: Waist Leash for Surfing  (Read 29765 times)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Waist Leash for Surfing
« Reply #45 on: December 24, 2015, 08:27:27 PM »
There's a simple technique to getting back on the board that eliminates the testicle twang. As soon as you are back on the board and before you stand, slide the leash outside your knee and flip the leash behind you. As I come up onto my board I find I can get my leg to push the leash aside most times, but when that doesn't work, a quick flip does it. It's actually easier to keep the leash from getting wrapped than an ankle or calf leash is, though a knee wrap won't strangle your nuts, but it can give you a nasty leg tangle.

When you're surfing, a properly size waist leash is like surfing leashless. No stepping on the leash when you go to the tail. The guys in Mavericks kine waves tuck their leashes into the belt to keep them out of the water. I just use a short (9') very heavy leash. 9mm. Bodacious. It's got molded fittings--I don't like that--but I think I could tow a truck with the leash.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2015, 08:31:03 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #46 on: December 25, 2015, 03:34:29 AM »
Mine hasn't done anything weird yet. I think the stiffy on the leash cord end keeps it far away from me.

I did go up 1 ft in length over my knee leash. Reaching my waist, made my normal leash length feel short.

Board Stiff

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 23, 2016, 08:21:04 PM »
The plastic connector between the ankle strap and leash blew out on me last week, so I think it's time to replace the leash I got with my first board almost five years ago with a nice new waist leash. What length waist leash do y'all recommend?

I mostly ride an 8'10 Sunova Speeed or occasionally a 10'6 Nalu in waist to head high New Hampshire/Maine beach break waves. Very rarely overhead. I also downwind when conditions are good. Are the waist leashes good for this too? Same or different length than for surf?

Thanks!

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 23, 2016, 08:23:50 PM »
I went short and regret it. I go for normal length, which for me is ten feet. I think the Leashlok is a good choice. Not perfect, I modified mine with a backup buckle, but it's good as-is.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

lopezwill

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 23, 2016, 08:43:30 PM »

I think it's safe to say you want a waist leash at least 1 foot over the length of the board your using.  I got lazy and used an 8 foot waist leash on my 10 foot board in medium surf.  A big closed out wave came in and I dove off the front of my board to go under the wave and almost dove into the nose of my board.  Fortunately I only had to make that mistake one time before always going to a longer leash;)

Here's another tip.  Make a circle of the leash and tuck it into the back of the waist leash.  I've noticed that no leash drag in the water causes you to paddle faster.  Using this method with smaller boards you can really notice better performance when surfing as there is virtually no leash drag.  Of course the kook factor goes up even higher tying a circle and having it drape from your arse.

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 26, 2016, 02:21:17 PM »
i have been using my usual 8 footer--i fell forward once and fell thigh first onto the nose of my board--nasty charlie horse--but noe that i know the risk  i kick the board away to the side, certainly when diving deep under a collapsing beast. i like that the board is as close as possible when i am trying to get back on a get the f outta the work zone

so nice during jonas, when i got hit by several beasts--no-brainer: in solid surf with a big board (as most sup's are) waist is the only way
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

Kaihoe

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 28, 2016, 11:29:20 AM »
Ok, are you guys saying that there are no severe  tangled up issues with waist leashes.  ?  At least no more than regular leashes ? Obviously not if they are riding them in big waves. But I made a mock up of one, just a belt and a leash attached to it. I used it in flat water, sort of. I did an upwinder in 25knt. Rough conditions to simulate the ocean.Several times when i fell, it went between my legs. I Don't want to hurt the olo's. So I am just wondering if it can mess you up.

There are especially if you use too long a leash, I have had an incident with a long leash where I got a loop around my neck, easier to do with a waist leash because it attaches higher up.   

Bulky

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 28, 2016, 12:13:23 PM »
Based on this thread, I had a few bucks left over from Christmas and decided to order a Leashlok.  Came a couple weeks ago and I put it together and threw it in the back of my truck.  It was only when I was out at the break today that I remembered I had it and decided to give it a go.  Conditions were nowhere near what I bought it for but I figure it'd be better to play around with it in chest/head-high stuff.

One of the reasons I did get it was for leash snags--at least once a session, I'd find myself with the leash w wrapped around my paddle when I was riding down the line and trying to make a turn.  That happened once this AM with the waist leash, but it's really easy to tuck a loop up under the waist belt to take care of that.  I got a 9' for my 9' board--added a foot from the 8' I typically like on my ankle.

After never having surfed with anything but an ankle leash it did feel like I forgot something.  I didn't realize how much I habitually flick my foot around or give a tug when getting back on to adjust the ankle leash.  None of that here.  Even in the small surf I had today it was a weird feeling to fall and kind of brace myself for the ankle tug and get nothing.

Could get used to this.  Supposed to be bigger tomorrow.  I'll see how it goes.
Santa Barbara, CA

SIC RS 14x24.5
Infinity Blackfish 14'
Naish Glide 14' (2012)
SupSports Hammer 8'11
Starboard WidePoint 10'5
Ke Nalu Mana, Konihi, Maliko

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 03, 2016, 04:08:40 PM »
Called up Crow Haley today. We started to talk story as more senior members of the tribe are wont to do.

My waist leash has been ordered in the skinny old fahrt  size. I send him a check after I receive it!

What a refreshing "old school" experience to say the least.. 8)  8)  8)
Let it come to you..
SMIK 9'2" Hipster Mini Mal
SMIK 8'8" Short Mac Freo Rainbow Bridge
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin
King's 8'2" Accelerator SharkBoy

ninja tuna

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 06, 2016, 06:00:22 AM »
in terms of the waist leash tangling.  I have only had a problem when using thinner surf leashes. When I met STC for the sunova demos.  We were switching boards out in the water, so I had to deal with whatever leash was on the board I tried.  The thinner more spaghetti leashes as I call them tangled a more than the thicker type leashes I use.  I found my paddle getting caught up in the thinner leashes a lot.  With my rigid 9.5 mm leashes, I find I barely get my paddle tangled with it at all.

in terms of length. I have gone the opposite direction. Most of the the time I like to use shorter leashes.  I was using 8 foot leashes on my boards that are 8'6-9'2 ,  even my 12'6. Now I use 6 foot leashes on everything but the 12'6.

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 09, 2016, 05:23:19 PM »
Well a very old dawg tried the waist leash with a (the horror of it all) coiled leash. Awesome in every way! Felt almost leashless; very easy to recover after eating it and going for a swim; no tangles anywhere; no coconut crunch issues; and this was in waist to chest with bigger sets. So it works dakine in small waves as well as the BEEG WANS!
A better mousetrap in every way IMHO!
« Last Edit: February 09, 2016, 05:46:20 PM by mrbig »
Let it come to you..
SMIK 9'2" Hipster Mini Mal
SMIK 8'8" Short Mac Freo Rainbow Bridge
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin
King's 8'2" Accelerator SharkBoy

Board Stiff

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 09, 2016, 05:42:46 PM »
Glad to hear it, Mr. Big! I ordered my Crow Haley waist leash yesterday and can't wait to try it. Hopefully tomorrow will be the last session with my busted old leash tied in a big knot around my ankle cuff.  :D

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 09, 2016, 06:51:29 PM »
Conditions were 8 to 15 feet on Saturday.  I filmed for a bit and kept the camera rolling for a few beatings. 

This is what it looks like to duck dive a 10 ft wave, at the top, and then get dragged face up.  Looks pretty mellow, and it was . . . if you were wearing a waist leash.

The second wave was a bonus, I had to jump and caught some significant air just to get off the back of the wave.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3lWW9zm8nho
« Last Edit: February 09, 2016, 06:53:57 PM by Beasho »

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 09, 2016, 07:11:04 PM »
Here is another perspective on the size that day.  Note the flying spider monkey in the background.  That's my proner friend Matt.  He is such a ham for the camera.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2016, 07:13:32 PM by Beasho »

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #59 on: February 09, 2016, 07:32:19 PM »
Started using the waist leash I bought from Sup-Position even in small, mellow waves.  Conditions are the polar opposite of what Beasho is doing.  Even though you don't have to worry about a tomb-stone death drag in those conditions, it's still nice for keeping the leash from getting tangled as much in your feet and coming in through shorebreak, the board does not drag your foot out from under you.  So it's good even in small waves. 
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal