Author Topic: Waist Leash for Surfing  (Read 29873 times)

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Waist Leash for Surfing
« on: November 30, 2015, 06:34:46 AM »
So Saturday by me it was 4 feet or so, but very disorganized--not optimal, but rideable for the hungry like me.
Didn't seem particularly powerful or sketchy, but damned if i didnt get caught inside for a few very nice pummelings. Actually got denied twice and had to walk to the rip by the jetty to get back out, something's that's not happened in a long time.

Sunday was a touch smaller but clean and easy--no paddle out issues at all.

But I finally tried the waist belt Ralph sent me last year, thinking Saturday might not have been so tough had I worn it then. Bottom line, the waist leash is simply the way to go in decent surf. I made a point to get hit by some big ones and ditch in closeout whitewater, and, as stated clearly by Beasho and others, the waist leash is superior on all fronts. No pulling under by the leashed ankle. Significantly easier to surface for breath between hits. All upside, no downside. Minor issue is that the leash takes more stress from a waist leash--no leg getting pulled and flexed to absorb, where the waist is solid. I use big wave, super strong leashes, tho, so no worry there.

This said, my setup annoyed a bit. Basically I used the "Ralph Belt" and attached my ankle leash to it, wrapping the leash around the belt as I would my ankle. The weight of the ankle leash and  the "Ralph Belt" was more than I'd like (after full saturation with water), and the ankle leash got pulled around front a few times.

I want to switch to waist leashes full time, but cant find a decent 8' surf-oriented (no quick release gimmickry for river running, pls) leash. Design should be light and strong and absorb little water. Seems a no-brainer that a good one would be out there on the market.

We obsessed for a while about handles, and I find I rarely use mine these days--either I successfully paddle through, or i am diving the wave, at this point, and, with an 8' leash and some wits, i keep my board away from others.

But the waist leash has real, immediate and long-term value----where can I get one? Will I be forced to have one made by my local seamstress?

The time has come, tho, for these to be available.

Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Waist Leash for Surfing
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2015, 07:24:14 AM »
I don't know if I fully buy into the waist leash yet EB but it does sound promising.  I found myself prone paddling out on Saturday (down here) and I think that might be a situation where a waist leash might get in the way for me. 

linter

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2015, 08:06:53 AM »
  it's the probable kook factor that gets me, but then again, i'm self conscious like that.

otoh, i am a perfect candidate for one of these.  ankle leashes get in the way.  and my calves are so stupidly skinny that i have to wear my calf leash above my kneecap to keep it from sliding off.  the answer?  waist leash, most likely. hmmmm.

goodfornothin

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2015, 08:50:41 AM »
I use it every time I sup.  I pretty much lay down paddle everyday. (It seems to keep the frothing from the little ones at a minimum).  I've never noticed it being a problem, or even feeling it.

I originally got mine from kayak supply, i thought it had a decent quick release?  I lost it so I use an old Web belt now with a big metal buckle,,hahah. But it still works great. 

I find the system  pulls less on my leash? When I go under I just pencil underwater and let board drag me and keep.tension off cord.  I basically v underwater,,as the board is released from the energy of the white wash I'm at the surface.  It works from head high to above,,,just a matter of holding your breath a little longer as the wave size increases.  I also go with a longer leash,that helps the pull.

I love the waist belt. 

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2015, 09:51:19 AM »
agree nuttin--obviously superior first couple hits i took

hear ya re longer leash absorbing pull better--but so far i plan to stay with 8'--like the quicker retrieval, and less chance of board getting near anyone else.

oh and re retrieval--much quicker to pull the leash from waist height, than from ankle

they do look a bit kooky (sorry bout that beash!), but at 57 yo and butt ugly, i aint too worried! i prolly looked like a geisha with a big bow over my ass, the bow being the ankle piece wrapped around the belt ass-side!

my beef is that they just arent made--and i dont want a bunch of bells and whistles--dont need quick release where i surf--no pilings etc--and with a belt, the release is right at ones waist--rip the velcro--better than fussing with a clip or some connection--much more likely to be reachable when stressing than an ankle--just a solid big surf leash which handles a 20 lb 8'11, and doesnt weigh a ton when wet.

id be thrilled to be pointed to one i can buy.
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"

UKRiverSurfers

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2015, 10:10:05 AM »
Waist leash all the way :)
SIC Bullet 17v2 Custom
Richmond Custom Carbon 16'
Starboard Point 14'8
Starboard K15
Starboard Astro Touring 14
Starboad Big Easy
Redpaddle Ride 10'6
Badfish Rivershred
Jackson SUPercharger
Badfish MVP 9'o
Badfish IRS 7'2
Pack OC1 12'

NorthJerzSurfer

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2015, 10:40:20 AM »
EB-

I'd have to say the fine gentlemen who were giving us a hard time just for SUPing during Joaquin  would really bust our balls if we had waist leashes.

That said...Kook factor doesnt bother me either...i am on a SUP after all.   and when it gets big in Jersey- it gets even thumpier than LI...and I too would be interested in waist leash instead of trying reel in an 8'5 upside down board before the next head high beatdown onto a 2ft sandbar.

Interested to see what this thread produces.

lopezwill

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2015, 06:57:12 PM »

I've been using the waist leashes for a few years now and I think they are superior to the ankle or knee leashes for sup surfing.  I use the "Leashlok Hawaii " brand.  Sounds like they are just what you want EB.  They are light and compact and work well!  You have to have a small hex key or fin key to unscrew the ankle or knee attachment and attach it to the Leashlok belt swivel.  Pretty easy.  I'm absolutely sold on these things.  They say they are tested in Hawaii and I believe it.  I don't work for leashlok but I do think they are a good product.

I bought three of them and use them on all my boards.  Kook factor…probably an 8 or 9 but who cares?  These things are functional!

http://www.leashlokhawaii.com/leash-attachments---leash-belts.html

goodfornothin

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2015, 08:11:37 PM »
Perfect thanks,,I'm getting four,,two for me and one for each of my knuckle head friends that won't wear one.  I always hear, ohh, it's so blah blah blah,,yeah well i say i look goofy as hell, but you can sit in the pit and take bombs on the head all day and never really get tired.  I love it, I'm a swimmer with this set up, not a stuck tuna, hahahaa,,,and I can swim.

Thanks for the heads up,,,and many thanks to Haley and beasho,,I started the day after I saw Haley with it down in newport.  He charges harder than me, so I got mine the next day,, I love i, I use it every day now.  We will see how it stands up to abuse,, hahah.   It could save your life in any Sze surf,,just the quick release alone is awesome.  Getting an ankle leash to quick release is very difficult.  It takes a lot of force to be dragging and reaching for your feet at the same time. I struggled with it.   Anyways, great idea and thanks for the site

lopezwill

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2015, 08:54:24 PM »

Goodfornothin

I've used the Crow Haley waist leash also and it might be stronger then the Leashlok Hawaii for larger surf.  Beasho is really in the know with the use of these waist leashes in huge surf.  Maybe he will chime in?

I have not used the Leashlok Hawaii waist leash in huge surf.  The biggest California reef surf I've tested the Leashlok in has been maybe been 12 foot faces.  It worked fine with a big wave leash attached.  For 90% of the sup winter surfing I do I prefer the Leashlok.  I have to say, "Anything (accidents) can happen in large surf and any leash can fail.  I guess thats my warning ;)

surfinJ

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2015, 12:55:56 AM »
Yesterday, 12' plus, huge current, getting in so hard.
This is a more successful ride than what I had and the two drillings I took were easier with the waist belt and long leash.

Text and money order customized length. Crow Hailey (760)594-2579

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2015, 04:23:38 AM »
very heavy Mr J--wow--and thanks for crow hailey's contact info

lopez, thk you, too

seems what i want is out there--i plan to order both and report back--maybe even with some pics, if i can untangle my brain
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"

BetterIwas

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2015, 03:10:49 PM »
Were you able to get onto Crow Haley ?

Had one made in Australia but it is rubbish - just dangerous actually. Looking for a proper one.

No website for Crow Haley I can find and seemingly no shops stock them for online sale (or at least that I can find).

Thanks

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2015, 04:03:17 PM »
I picked up a Leashlok leash and belt after reading LopezWil's comment. Nice customer service and showed up in my mailbox in two days. Super stout, works just like a regular leash only waist sized. All the fittings are stout and I got a 10' 9mm leash to go with it. Tried it today in punky S-turns stuff that had some pull to it coming over the sandbar. Love it. I can already see how good it's going to be on bigger days. A little more fiddling getting the board back, I can't just kick my leg, but that's a good habit to get out of anyway.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2015, 05:54:51 PM »
I love the 'cook' commentary.  I never really had that impression because all the guys better than me were wearing waist leashes.  To me it appeared more like a superhero thing.  I will repost this shot of a SUP sausage fest. 

Ian on the wave, Haley in the middle and I am on the shoulder taking notes.  I do remember Ian paddling back out after this wave having taking a serious beating.  I think its the only time I have seen him rattled.  But his leash didn't fail.

I am glad SurfinJ found Crow Haley's number (not to be confused with Haley Fiske in photo).  I have 3 waist leashes and want to get a fourth, one for each board. 

Crow Haley (760)594-2579

* Recent Posts

post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
Today at 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 16, 2024, 12:40:25 AM
post SIC Raptor Foil and Board For Sale
[Classifieds]
addapost
April 15, 2024, 04:25:26 PM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 15, 2024, 02:40:38 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal