Author Topic: Leashes save lives.  (Read 5839 times)

southwesterly

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Leashes save lives.
« on: November 29, 2015, 03:00:01 PM »
Once again the same old story. This time without a tragic ending.

http://mauiwatch.com/2015/11/standup-paddle-boarder-rescued-in-waters-off-of-honokowai/

Subber

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: Leashes save lives.
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2015, 03:05:46 PM »
Geeze - that is nuts that they didn't have leashes - unbelievable.
 ::)
Jimmy Lewis Black & Blue Noserider 10'1"x31"x4.25," 164 liters, 24 lbs, 1 box
Pearson Laird Surftech Longboard 10'6"x23"x29.75"x18"x4.375," 154 liters, 24 lbs, 3 boxes
Takayama Ali'i II Surftech 11'x21.375”x28.5”x17.25”x 4.25,” 162 liters, 26 lbs, 3 boxes

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2015, 03:21:07 PM »
Boy meets girl. They get married and honeymoon on Maui. They rent paddle boards. Get their stupid asses rescued.........  ::)
They were lucky. Some of the 'on the beach rentals' are pretty shabby. They probably don't say anything to the renters about safety or leashes. Just some sign posted and a waiver.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

covesurfer

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2015, 04:10:31 PM »
There was also this....http://mauinow.com/2015/11/29/standup-paddle-boarders-rescued-in-south-maui/

Couple things stand out for me, first, part of this is on the rental companies. They need to make sure their boards come with a leash and spend five minutes on basic safety. You still aren't going to educate people that don't understand what they are getting into. My guess is, that in both of these rescues, the paddleboards were likely rented very close to where the rescues occurred. When conditions are like that, I have to wonder what the rental dept was thinking.

We did a downwind run off of south Maui yesterday afternoon. There were three on SUP's, two of us in OC1's and two in surf skis. Everybody was very experienced and we paddled nearly 8 miles down the coast, in  offshore winds, without any problems. We were all very careful not to go off-shore too far and to be sure we could surf left (towards shore) well enough that we'd be able to make a line for our destination.  It was still a potentially dangerous day with those strong offshore wind conditions. My OC1 was literally almost blown away while I was getting ready to launch. The gusts were easily in the low 30's.

When someone not familiar with wind and ocean conditions looks at the water, and conditions are like they were yesterday, they won't understand that the wind is blowing much, much harder than it appears from shore. Add to that, very basic or no real paddling skills and it's a recipe for trouble. There is no fetch in the lee of the beach when the wind is blowing out to sea. The waves don't really become apparent until it's too late and you're several hundred yards off the beach. By then, it's too late. In winds like we had yesterday, you fall and with no leash, your board is gone. With poor paddling skills, you are going to get blown far out into the ocean before you even realize you're in trouble.

Last year, we were doing another downwinder on the south side in similar conditions. A group of tourists was getting ready to launch two people in a rented, two person kayak with no rudder. They were pretty clearly not experienced paddlers, and that judgement is not based on their gear.  I mentioned to them to stay in very close with no rudder because the winds were very off-shore. One of the two paddlers asked me what that meant, 'offshore'? Straight out to Kaho'olawe if you're lucky and Tahiti if you're not....

It is surprising that there are not more tragedies. But, in the vast number of cases, these guys get rescued. I worry that the rest of us, that go almost daily, carry back up gear and have at least an emergency plan if things go wrong, will eventually get restricted because of these kinds of incidents. The rental companies have to do a better job of giving people some basic safety instruction before they leave the store. A list of 10 or 15 safety do's and don'ts would help. Print them on waterproof, laminated cards and hand em out or laminate them to the rental boards. My .002. End of rant.

« Last Edit: November 29, 2015, 04:14:44 PM by covesurfer »

hbsteve

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2015, 04:28:28 PM »
WOW.  The main SUP and kayak place in Sausalito follows the US Coast Guard  rules.  STUPID.   Most of Sausalito most of the time is fairly sheltered.  Just don't get out far enough to get caught in a strong tide.

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2015, 05:14:19 PM »
One great thing--both articles mentioned the lack of leashes to attach them to their boards.  I'm not sure if I've ever read an article about a SUP drowning or rescue that mentioned leashes at all (maybe the one last summer in Hood River before the Naish race did).  Usually the focus is on whether someone was wearing a pfd, with the implication that if you have a pfd, you're safe (even if you break every other safety rule) and if you don't have a pfd, you're not safe (even if you have a leash and follow every other safety rule).  So this article turns a corner in regard to awareness of safety, vs. the usual, knee-jerk pfd-or-no-pfd reporting.

Interestingly, neither article mentioned whether either were wearing pfds.  Is that because pfds aren't common there? 

surf4food

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2015, 06:26:07 PM »
  I mentioned to them to stay in very close with no rudder because the winds were very off-shore. One of the two paddlers asked me what that meant, 'offshore'? Straight out to Kaho'olawe if you're lucky and Tahiti if you're not....

That just floors me.  I do not disagree with your point about rental companies doing a better job of educating their customers, but people still need to use more common sense and due diligence.  I don't care if you're an experienced surfer, ocean paddler/swimmer who grew up on the coast or a cowboy from Wyoming who never saw the ocean before.  If you are doing a new activity in a new environment then you analyze, you do some research and you ask questions and you take the time to learn what questions to ask.   I grew up on the coast.  I didn't grow up on snowy mountains, but I knew not to strap into a pair of skis or snowboard (despite being an experienced surfer and skateboarder) and just have at it as opposed to taking proper lessons. 

covesurfer

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2015, 09:25:28 PM »
Surf4, couldn't agree with you more. Nevertheless, the world as well as this island are filled with nincompoops. You can't fix stupid.

covesurfer

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2015, 09:25:58 PM »
 :o

808sup

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2015, 10:03:50 PM »
Unbelievable! The common sense idea should sit squarely on the company that rents the equipment.You may want a tourist from Idaho to know better but reality says they won't. However,a company that chooses to rent something that could potentially harm the operator or someone else is to blame if they haven't provided even the basic life saving devices and instructions. If these rescues continue we will all be forced into regulations that we all don't want. That is something that none of us want.  BUT REALLY, NO LEASHES???? :-[

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2015, 11:25:28 PM »
It's different in Hawaii. First, every local knows what a leash is and that people should wear them on surfboards (an OC's, and surfskis).  Three year olds know it, great grandma's know it. And no reporter would mention PFDs on surfboards because it's just not common. We never get grief about not having a PFD, even if a lifeguard comes out a mile or so to check on us while we're downwinding. They don't even think to ask.

Companies renting to tourists have no excuse for that kind of stuff, but there are a lot of fly-by-night operators now that show up at the beach with a truck and twenty softop SUPs and rent them. Hard to control. The bigger operators do a pretty good job. I've stood around and listened to the spiel at Maui Wave Riders and they do a nice job with safety lectures. They even show people how to get down and prone paddle if the wind gets tough.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2015, 11:40:54 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

UKRiverSurfers

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2015, 02:35:28 AM »
Well - what a minefield of possible scenario.....

The problem with the title "Leashes Saves Lives" is they don't. Just like life jackets. They don't save lives either. The reason it's a problem over here in the UK is, inexperienced folk put their kids in life jackets and leave them thinking that they are safe. When SUP gets bigger over here the same things gonna happen with leashes.

We need proper education across the board.
SIC Bullet 17v2 Custom
Richmond Custom Carbon 16'
Starboard Point 14'8
Starboard K15
Starboard Astro Touring 14
Starboad Big Easy
Redpaddle Ride 10'6
Badfish Rivershred
Jackson SUPercharger
Badfish MVP 9'o
Badfish IRS 7'2
Pack OC1 12'

UKRiverSurfers

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2015, 02:37:56 AM »
Personally if I'm at sea I wear what you call in the USA, a life jacket and a leash. I also take spare paddles and other safety kit.
SIC Bullet 17v2 Custom
Starboard Point 14'8
Starboard K15
Starboad Big Easy
Redpaddle Ride 10'6
Badfish Rivershred
Jackson SUPercharger
Badfish MVP 9'o
Badfish IRS 7'2
Pack OC1 12'

UKRiverSurfers

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2015, 04:18:02 AM »
Another angle - The board is your life vest??

Actually, the 2-3mm of cord connecting leash to board is the thing you're hanging your life on.

Over here, teachers are taking out newbies saying "The board is your life vest" and written on the board, usually an iSUP, it says "This is not a life preserve"    Doh!
SIC Bullet 17v2 Custom
Starboard Point 14'8
Starboard K15
Starboad Big Easy
Redpaddle Ride 10'6
Badfish Rivershred
Jackson SUPercharger
Badfish MVP 9'o
Badfish IRS 7'2
Pack OC1 12'

UKRiverSurfers

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2015, 04:20:28 AM »
Another bugbear of mine - "Always wear a leash" 

So, of course youre gonna get folk doing so, but they are doing so, on rivers with flow, attatching to ankle? Certain death will prevail. In this instance, leashes kill.
SIC Bullet 17v2 Custom
Starboard Point 14'8
Starboard K15
Starboad Big Easy
Redpaddle Ride 10'6
Badfish Rivershred
Jackson SUPercharger
Badfish MVP 9'o
Badfish IRS 7'2
Pack OC1 12'