Author Topic: Downbreezing - Why it is a great way to get into downwinding - Vid  (Read 4285 times)

Off-Shore

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • HksupaHK SUP and Downwinding
There are not a lot of downbreezing vids around.. Let's face it, compared to downwinding vids they are a little tame, but where we paddle we get a lot more of these days, and they are great for teaching how to get into runners, in a safe way and keeps you fit for when the wind really blows..

I'm always trying to get people into SUP, and when they tell me it is too slow for them, and how can you ever get a good work-out, I always steer the conversation into downbreezing and downwinding. When there are no waves, this is where the fun is at..

So if you have conditions like these near you, grab a board (literally any board over 10' will do) and get out downbreezing. It's a lot of fun and a great work-out. Compared to pounding the road, running at 150bpm, this is a great low impact way of exercise..

https://youtu.be/LUphL4s4KAU
After-Work Paddle. 3rd Person mount. GoPro 4 Black
« Last Edit: November 28, 2015, 07:57:36 PM by Off-Shore »
SB 9' x 33' x 4.1" - RPC 9'8" iSUP - SB All-Star 12'6" - Blue Planet Bump Rider 14 - SB Ace 14 x 27 - RedAir 14' Elite Race - SIC Bullet 14v1 TWC - SICMaui F16v3 Custom

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/HksupaHk_SUP_and_Downwinding

coldsup

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: Downbreezing - Why it is a great way to get into downwinding - Vid
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2015, 11:13:03 PM »
There are not a lot of downbreezing vids around.. Let's face it, compared to downwinding vids they are a little tame, but where we paddle we get a lot more of these days, and they are great for teaching how to get into runners, in a safe way and keeps you fit for when the wind really blows..

I'm always trying to get people into SUP, and when they tell me it is too slow for them, and how can you ever get a good work-out, I always steer the conversation into downbreezing and downwinding. When there are no waves, this is where the fun is at..

So if you have conditions like these near you, grab a board (literally any board over 10' will do) and get out downbreezing. It's a lot of fun and a great work-out. Compared to pounding the road, running at 150bpm, this is a great low impact way of exercise..

https://youtu.be/LUphL4s4KAU
After-Work Paddle. 3rd Person mount. GoPro 4 Black

Great camera angle. Paddling into smaller bumps is a great workout.

Have you tried the v2 bullet? Think they are better for downbreezer days I gather?

Off-Shore

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • HksupaHK SUP and Downwinding
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2015, 11:22:11 PM »

Have you tried the v2 bullet? Think they are better for downbreezer days I gather?

Yes I have, and it is lighter than the V1,  with less rocker, so I would agree better than the V1 for downbreezing .... but a lot more expensive and less durable.
SB 9' x 33' x 4.1" - RPC 9'8" iSUP - SB All-Star 12'6" - Blue Planet Bump Rider 14 - SB Ace 14 x 27 - RedAir 14' Elite Race - SIC Bullet 14v1 TWC - SICMaui F16v3 Custom

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/HksupaHk_SUP_and_Downwinding

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2015, 12:41:02 AM »
I have both the V1 and v2 production Bullet 14s. They work in very different conditions. The V1 is better in steep short-period stuff, or in big conditions, so is generally the better choice once you get over 25 knots. Up to that point the V2 is usually better.

I don't think they are selling the V1 any more (?). This is actual a great shame. For many people it would be the better choice. Mark really should have called them different names IMO. V1 and V2 suggests that one is a progression of the other, but this isn't really true. They are boards for different conditions.

When you get to the kinda conditions where you need a heavily rockered board, you *really* need that rocker. A skilled rider can make anything work. But it will take double the effort and for most people will lead to a huge decrease in overall speed. But for sure, the V2 is a lot better for downbreezing, although in very light conditions (10-15 knots) you can be better off with many flat water raceboards.

coldsup

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2015, 01:14:25 AM »
I have both the V1 and v2 production Bullet 14s. They work in very different conditions. The V1 is better in steep short-period stuff, or in big conditions, so is generally the better choice once you get over 25 knots. Up to that point the V2 is usually better.

I don't think they are selling the V1 any more (?). This is actual a great shame. For many people it would be the better choice. Mark really should have called them different names IMO. V1 and V2 suggests that one is a progression of the other, but this isn't really true. They are boards for different conditions.

When you get to the kinda conditions where you need a heavily rockered board, you *really* need that rocker. A skilled rider can make anything work. But it will take double the effort and for most people will lead to a huge decrease in overall speed. But for sure, the V2 is a lot better for downbreezing, although in very light conditions (10-15 knots) you can be better off with many flat water raceboards.

Yup....the V2 sounds like a great and very versatile board which I was considering if I won the lottery  :)  I have an M14 for most things windy but I am now holding out for the new JL ocean racer the Sidewinder for all else.

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2015, 02:04:41 AM »
"Sidewinder"? Sheesh... What is it with Jimmy Lewis and these pseudo-combat full-of-hate names? Mission, Stiletto, U-Boat, Sidewinder... Someone get this guy a therapist. I quite liked the U-Boat, but a friend and me both concluded that we couldn't buy a board with that name emblazoned on it. It feels a bit...childish?

coldsup

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2015, 03:54:23 AM »
"Sidewinder"? Sheesh... What is it with Jimmy Lewis and these pseudo-combat full-of-hate names? Mission, Stiletto, U-Boat, Sidewinder... Someone get this guy a therapist. I quite liked the U-Boat, but a friend and me both concluded that we couldn't buy a board with that name emblazoned on it. It feels a bit...childish?

He's about as friendly and helpful as you could get too. Maybe some military thing in the family...no idea. Think of other well known brands and their names.....doesn't put anyone off as they are more interested in the board rather the name. Eg Bullet 😃 U Boat was a strange one though lol!

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2015, 04:52:30 AM »
Yes, I agree on both counts. JL is very approachable, and the SIC names also have an off-putting macho combat theme, with the Bullet, Recon, F16, the X series etc. Then there's the Fanatic Falcon... Maybe these board designers are trying to compensate for a certain lack of something in the trouser department? Certainly, if they are trying to grow a female DW base, they might want to consider the message these names send out. The best name has probably already been taken though: the Glide.

coldsup

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2015, 06:15:03 AM »
Yes, I agree on both counts. JL is very approachable, and the SIC names also have an off-putting macho combat theme, with the Bullet, Recon, F16, the X series etc. Then there's the Fanatic Falcon... Maybe these board designers are trying to compensate for a certain lack of something in the trouser department? Certainly, if they are trying to grow a female DW base, they might want to consider the message these names send out. The best name has probably already been taken though: the Glide.

Glide is certainly the best! You should write a blog with reviews of all the boards you have used.....can't be that many you haven't used?

PabstSUP

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2015, 07:21:04 AM »
Speaking of the SIC Bullet, Offshore helped me figure out which board I needed for my upcoming move to the beach in Long Island.  The conditions will either be steep short period wind swell across the Great South Bay or some larger open ocean conditions so the V1 is the right board. The V1 bullet is still available and have two versions available on SIC's website on sale.  They have one 2015 V1 14' in TWC construction which is the cheaper, heavier but the more durable construction and a 2013 14' in their DCC construction with the ASS (Active Steering System) for $1299 which is a $2k discount.  I spoke to someone at the factory and they had a few of these left so I jumped on it yesterday. My wife and I have been sharing a 2012 Glide for the last year and got into Downwinding & Downbreezing last summer so I'm stoked to have my own board!
Hobie Raw 8'11
Sunova Flow 8'4"
Sunova Speeed 8'10
SIC Bullet 14' ASS

UKRiverSurfers

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2015, 07:32:04 AM »

He's about as friendly and helpful as you could get too. Maybe some military thing in the family...no idea. Think of other well known brands and their names.....doesn't put anyone off as they are more interested in the board rather the name. Eg Bullet 😃 U Boat was a strange one though lol!

2013 B14 available for £864!!! :)
SIC Bullet 17v2 Custom
Richmond Custom Carbon 16'
Starboard Point 14'8
Starboard K15
Starboard Astro Touring 14
Starboad Big Easy
Redpaddle Ride 10'6
Badfish Rivershred
Jackson SUPercharger
Badfish MVP 9'o
Badfish IRS 7'2
Pack OC1 12'

Scozz76

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2015, 02:18:10 PM »

2013 B14 available for £864!!! :)

Where abouts?

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2015, 02:41:24 AM »
and I always liked the name of my board, the graphics too

Rogue Rage

Very teenage look, ... and feel to BTW

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal