Author Topic: Nukin' in Hong Kong - Downwinder  (Read 4786 times)

Off-Shore

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • HksupaHK SUP and Downwinding
Nukin' in Hong Kong - Downwinder
« on: November 28, 2015, 03:31:03 AM »
The Northeast Monsoon delivered solid 20-25 knot Easterly winds today for an awesome downwinder under clear blue skies. Probably the last we'll be able to do without wetsuits. A couple of pics taken South of Lamma Island. Feeling' lucky to be alive on days like this.
SB 9' x 33' x 4.1" - RPC 9'8" iSUP - SB All-Star 12'6" - Blue Planet Bump Rider 14 - SB Ace 14 x 27 - RedAir 14' Elite Race - SIC Bullet 14v1 TWC - SICMaui F16v3 Custom

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/HksupaHk_SUP_and_Downwinding

Off-Shore

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: Nukin' in Hong Kong - Downwinder
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2015, 05:02:05 AM »
..And why you always have to wear a leash... this happened moments after the picture below it..
SB 9' x 33' x 4.1" - RPC 9'8" iSUP - SB All-Star 12'6" - Blue Planet Bump Rider 14 - SB Ace 14 x 27 - RedAir 14' Elite Race - SIC Bullet 14v1 TWC - SICMaui F16v3 Custom

coldsup

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2015, 05:34:03 AM »
Love it.....strong leash and string required!

Vid on the way?

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2015, 06:16:08 AM »
Looks nice. But 20-25 knots counts as nukin' where you are? You'd love it here: that's only downbreezing when I come from. Nukin' to me is 40 knots and above, and downwinding only really starts at 25 knots minimum for us. We probably have winds that reach at least 20 knots at some point in the day on about 75% of the days of the year.

Off-Shore

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2015, 06:52:52 AM »
Looks nice. But 20-25 knots counts as nukin' where you are?
Yep, it's nukin' for Hong Kong as most of the time we only get 15-20 knots.. although we do get the occasional typhoon when the sea goes completely white. The most I've downwinded in here though is 35 knots and that is only near-shore paddling. You are lucky to be able to get 20 knot winds 75% of the year. Where are you?

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2015, 07:23:24 AM »
On a peninsular on the South coast of the UK. It's just next to where windsurfing was invented. The amount of wind we get is good for DW, but it is a PITA for surfing: lots of crap onshore days, and the wind direction can be a bit unpredictable too. Fortunately we have a variety of runs in different directions, but logistically it can be a challenge. And of course the water and air is cold here, so the windchill you get with 35-50 knots is no joke if the air is only 0-6C and the water is as cold as 4C in winter. Mind you, it's a lot colder in Scotland. So overall, the amount of wind is a mixed blessing sometimes. The people I bought my house from actually sold it because it was "too windy", and were going back to London!

Probably with your winds, many dedicated DW boards would be overkill. I use flatter rocker boards like the Bullet V2, or raceboards like the Starboard Ace in 10-25 knot downbreezing, and tend to do upwind/DW circuits to save the hassle of the vehicle shuffle. Over 20 knots, up winding gets a bit painful, but 10-20 is fine I think.

laszlo

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2015, 01:45:29 PM »
"On a peninsular on the South coast of the UK. It's just next to where windsurfing was invented"

I thought windsurfing was invented by two guys from Pacific Palisades, California, trying out their experiments at Marina del Rey, also in Southern California. Was I misinformed?

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2015, 04:14:32 PM »
"On a peninsular on the South coast of the UK. It's just next to where windsurfing was invented"

I thought windsurfing was invented by two guys from Pacific Palisades, California, trying out their experiments at Marina del Rey, also in Southern California. Was I misinformed?
Possibly. It's an interesting story. Maybe you only hear the US-centric versions. Google "Peter Chilvers windsurfing".

Or here's a very brief summary: http://www.poolewindsurfing.co.uk/history-of-windsurfing/

As with most inventions, it is often the case that several people have had similar ideas around the same time. But Peter Chilvers has at least as good a claim as any other, and more so than most.

Off-Shore

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2015, 12:26:44 AM »
Area, I learnt to windsurf in Poole Harbor in the early 80s using giant triangular sails. Awesome place to start. Ended up living there too for 2 years in the early 90's. Had one memorable day windsurfing off Sandbanks with a great cross-shore wind and some fairly sizeable sets rolling in, and shearing my boom where the harness strap attached on the way back in. Luckily the other side of the boom remained in-tact and I managed to sail clew first back to shore through the shore break before the whole thing disintegrated.

Anyhow back to the thread at hand. Somehow I managed to set my GoPro on Multishot for the first hour of the run, from where the last 2 pictures above were taken, and the wind did back off a little so here is a vid of the latter part of the run. You be the judge if this is downbreezing or downwinding. The Ground swell was 1.5-2 meters. An epic day for Hong Kong

https://youtu.be/IesO0DLo_pg
... Bit of a "Bad Kook Hat Day".  ;)
Slightly adjusted 3rd Person POV
« Last Edit: November 29, 2015, 12:48:16 AM by Off-Shore »

Off-Shore

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2015, 02:53:07 AM »
Some more pics from the run before the vid kicked in just to show Area that I think this could have been a downwinder.. ;)
« Last Edit: November 29, 2015, 03:33:44 AM by Off-Shore »

UKRiverSurfers

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2015, 07:33:41 AM »
Love spots :)
SIC Bullet 17v2 Custom
Richmond Custom Carbon 16'
Starboard Point 14'8
Starboard K15
Starboard Astro Touring 14
Starboad Big Easy
Redpaddle Ride 10'6
Badfish Rivershred
Jackson SUPercharger
Badfish MVP 9'o
Badfish IRS 7'2
Pack OC1 12'

laszlo

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2015, 02:01:45 PM »

Possibly. It's an interesting story. Maybe you only hear the US-centric versions. Google "Peter Chilvers windsurfing".

Or here's a very brief summary: http://www.poolewindsurfing.co.uk/history-of-windsurfing/

As with most inventions, it is often the case that several people have had similar ideas around the same time. But Peter Chilvers has at least as good a claim as any other, and more so than most.
Thanks for the info. I had heard about Darby before, but thought his device, although clearly a wind driven board, was not workable enough to actually develop commercially

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2015, 09:20:13 AM »

Well BIC sure turned things around after his lawyers got a hold of this. So, technically, it has been decided Chivers invention counts. Practically, I'm still w Zane's gramps.

Either way, interesting it was in that area.

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2015, 05:15:05 PM »
Offshore - looks like a downwinder to me.

Yugi - well I guess everyone tends to support who they know, or know of. I grew up on Hayling Island and knew the early windsurf crew, so of course I'm gonna back them. But if you are from the US then of course you will most likely want to believe that it was the birthplace of all things wind- and watersports, even if other countries had been sailing, surfing etc for hundreds or even thousands of years before the US even existed. But I doubt that either of the people we know were actually the first to "board-sail". That was probably some Chinese guy we'll never know from about a gazillion years ago. Albert Einstein is reputed to have said that the secret to creativity is to know how to hide your sources.

Off-Shore

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2015, 08:42:24 AM »
Offshore - looks like a downwinder to me.
Thanks Area. I was beginning to wonder if I'd been downwinding at all. Although seeing the Hayling Island downwind vid in a recent post, you sure do get some winds + currents going there.

I put together another vid including GoPro + some of the pics (in the 2nd half) of crossing the East Lamma Channel (a shipping lane) below. There is only a few of us who have done this run over the years on days like this, so I'm hoping there will be a few Zoners coming this way to do this run with our crew one day.. Conditions are looking similar for this Saturday  :)

https://youtu.be/yXnen7oHKfo

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal