Author Topic: Video Review - 9'5 Speeed  (Read 4921 times)

supthecreek

Video Review - 9'5 Speeed
« on: November 27, 2015, 04:12:53 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJ2lAjSNCw8

Since I love my 8'10 Speeed, I wanted to try a larger one for winter.

I finally got some variety of video to make up this review of my 9'5 Speeed....
The 1st 90 sec is, info over a still photo, then I get around to the surfing  ;D

I am super stoked that the 9'5, shares all the magic of my 8'10.... in a larger form.
They essentially surf the same, with consideration for 2.5" wider and 30 L more volume.... Bert Burger nailed this line perfectly!!!!
I will add a vid of the Speeed, with Bert explaining why this shape works so well.

I can't even imagine how amazing the 7'3 x 24" at 73 liters is..... pure ripper, for rippers!!!

« Last Edit: November 29, 2015, 06:29:11 AM by Admin »

SUPcheat

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Video Review - 9'5 Speeed
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2015, 04:31:10 PM »
Another great review.  I liked you chortling friends on the shore encouraging you to wade in and get slammed by the shore break.

That board really shifts into mach speed in a heartbeat. 

Seeing somebody so experienced still falling off makes me feel better about my quasi-perpetual condition of falling off.  However, climbing back on the board is great exercise.
2013 Fanatic Prowave LTD 9'3"x30.5x@134L
Sunova Speeed 8'10"x29.12@131L
Sunova Flow 8'7"x30.25"@121L
Carbon 9.3x32@163L Hammer
Me: 6'1"@230 lbs 68 years old

cnski

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2015, 07:34:30 PM »
That board looks fun. Can you compare it to a 9'5" Allwave? I suspect you like the Speeed much better? Thx

linter

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2015, 04:54:56 AM »
as always, nobody does better and more entertaining reviews than you, rick.  i hope you can talk paul into getting one of those, if only so i can try it out.  or a style.  or maybe both.

supthecreek

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2015, 09:16:02 AM »
Thanks Erik ;-)
Paul said he's going to get one.
I saw him southside, last week, when I filmed the "headCAM" session of the video... great waves till the wind went west.

cnski:

The Allwave was my board of choice for years, and kept me VERY happy in all size reductions I went through.
Thicker rails, give the Allwave their legendary stability...
the tradeoff is a bit more swing weight and limits on how easily you can bury a rail.
IMO, the 9'5 Allwave is a great big guy performance board at an intermediate level.

I moved on to more challenging boards, when my skills improved and as I shed some pounds.

Every new board, was a progression.
I can't afford to buy board on "Hype" alone.... I do my research.
Each board was a true step up in performance, that allowed me to push a little harder.

The Speeed is a much more advanced board.... in performance, and the skills needed to unlock the magic.
If you turn the Speeed only from the middle.... you won't feel it's potential at all.

The foiled rails allow for gouging bottom turns, but have less primary stability.
The secondary stability, created by "wet" rails, takes a higher skill set to master.... particularly for a big guy.

In the Speeed line, I have found a "happy place" ... particularly my 8'10
The overall genius of this board, is capable of much more than I am.
The foiled rails and narrow width of my 8'10 are a challenge in full rubber, and heavy winter conditions.

I happened on this 9'5, when "wetstuff" offered it to me, for my Hatteras trip (the choppy session in the video)
I realized that, even at the super comfortable 9'5 length.... this board would be a great winter board, that still performs the Speeed carves.
Funny, I almost feel guilty when I chose the 9'5 over the 8'10.... like I'm taking the easy way out.... but it's just so damn fun  ;D

The 9'5 was available... so I jumped on it, and glad I did, because this size is perfect for so many of us, looking for the elusive "comfort and performance" package.
at 31.5" wide and 160 Liters.... the 9'5 opens up amazing performance for larger, older SUPsters out there!

Just got out after a great morning session on the 9'5..... super stoked!

lunchbox

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2015, 09:52:07 AM »
Another great review Rick!

I have a 9'5" as well and love it! It's soo smooth through the turns.

The only problem I have now is...do I get the 8'10" or the 9'2"? Obviously it would probably make more sense to get the 8'10" but even with the wide nose and parallel rails the 29" width concerns me as I demoed a T. Patterson 9'2" x 29" in somewhat choppy conditions and falling a lot. It was quite embarrassing actually. Talk about a miserable experience.

Do think the 9'2" would give me a big boost in performance on the wave compared to the 9'5"?

How does the 8'10" compare to the 9'5" in terms of stability (is their a huge difference) and turn-ability on the wave?

freetobeme

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2015, 09:55:45 AM »
I believe I saw you ripping it on the cam this morning. Looks like you have another winner.
"Everything you want is on the other side of fear" - George Addair

CoreVac Cannibal BOMB 8'8

SUPcheat

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2015, 11:45:43 AM »
More parallel rails translate into somewhat easier balance.  Member IRideYellow (Vick) @200lbs said that my 9'3" Prowave @30.5 wide is a lot harder to balance than his 7'10" x 32"(??) Jammer.  I was able to stand up on the 8'10" Speeed without any problem and navigate it in mild chop. I thought it was easier to balance at 29 width than the Prowave.

Vick said he was still adapting the the Speeed's balance, but I saw him on it at Privates, and he was looking very adept with it getting into waves and turning around.

I don't think the Speeed is a full tomo type, but I am thinking I might be able to go down to a 120L tomo type by next summer and do OK in mild conditions.  Anyway, it gives me something to shoot for.  Maybe even the smaller 8'8" Speeed.
2013 Fanatic Prowave LTD 9'3"x30.5x@134L
Sunova Speeed 8'10"x29.12@131L
Sunova Flow 8'7"x30.25"@121L
Carbon 9.3x32@163L Hammer
Me: 6'1"@230 lbs 68 years old

supthecreek

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2015, 03:59:11 PM »
Hay Lunchbox... long time.... How you getting on???

Yeah.... a huge difference in stability between 8'10 x 29 (130L)   vs 9'5 x 31.5 (160L)
and a notiecable performance difference..... however.... the feel is exactly the same.
All the bells & whistles are there, with incremental delays one would expect with the added mass.

If I was in serious waves, with late, steep takeoffs and vertical walls, I would certainly prefer the narrower 8'10.

If there was a 9'2 x 30 1/4" (148L) available when I got my 8'10.... I would have gone 9'2
The 8'10 forces me to keep my game up, and now it is quite easy for me in baggies..... casual, in fact, so I am really glad I made the commitment to low numbers.

I think the 9'2 would be an ideal winter board for me, as the 9'5 is so very easy.

I know that you paddle long distances to some of your breaks.....
never fear, I paddle the 8'10 3/4 of a mile all the time in summer.... it's a great paddler... in fact, the 8'10 is easier through the water because it's only 29 1/8" wide.
I believe the 8'10 catches waves easier than the 9'5, because the 31.5" board has more resistance off the paddle.

You are right on the cusp.... so I'd suggest that you try to hook up with a westside Zoner, that has an 8'10 for a water-swap demo.
You can certainly do the 8'10, but at your height & weight, you have to make the call on that.

Another avenue is sell the 9'5 and get a 9'2..... I'm sure that would suit any situation you have.... then you could delay thoughts of the 8'10 till you see how the 9'2 changes things.
I am sure that if you had the 9'2.... you wouldn't need the 9'5

Cheaterboy,
I went 9'6 on the Prowave because I though the 9'3 would be too much of a challenge.
Although I have never even seen a 9'3 Prowave.... I am willing to bet that the 8'10 is close.... maybe slightly more stable

My biggest issue with pointy nose boards is this:
When paddling hard for a wave, I always weight forward on my left foot and left side (paddle side)
Many time, I bury the left side of the nose and pitch off that side of the board.
The Speeed wide kick nose prevents that and actually like the action.... so I have more success on a smaller Speeed than a smaller traditional board.

free!!!!!
wasn't me... I was early bird at Radio.... clean and spiffy..... getting vertical on the 9'5  ;D
it was kind of a Speeed fest out there! (8'10 and 9'5 side by side)

IRideYellow

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2015, 12:29:05 PM »
Karl,

After spending a few hours a day in warm water on the Speeed 8'10 I'm pretty comfortable now.  I still have issues doing a tail dip to quickly turn to catch an incoming wave.  In fact, I am almost always unbalanced so I often revert to the slow and ugly "push the nose" around method.  Maybe in another month.

I'll be at Privates tomorrow around low tide if you want to try the Speeed again.

Vic

More parallel rails translate into somewhat easier balance.  Member IRideYellow (Vick) @200lbs said that my 9'3" Prowave @30.5 wide is a lot harder to balance than his 7'10" x 32"(??) Jammer.  I was able to stand up on the 8'10" Speeed without any problem and navigate it in mild chop. I thought it was easier to balance at 29 width than the Prowave.

Vick said he was still adapting the the Speeed's balance, but I saw him on it at Privates, and he was looking very adept with it getting into waves and turning around.

I don't think the Speeed is a full tomo type, but I am thinking I might be able to go down to a 120L tomo type by next summer and do OK in mild conditions.  Anyway, it gives me something to shoot for.  Maybe even the smaller 8'8" Speeed.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2015, 12:31:12 PM by IRideYellow »
Starboard WidePoint 8'10, Sunova 8'10 Speeed (Sold), Wardog  7'10 Jammer,  L41 8'8 S3 (sold), Naish Mana 10 (sold), 3 Wavestorm 9'6

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal