Author Topic: Argggg! Stupid little fall with a bad result.  (Read 6830 times)

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Argggg! Stupid little fall with a bad result.
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2015, 05:26:30 PM »
« Last Edit: November 26, 2015, 05:34:04 PM by Zooport »
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

goodfornothin

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2015, 08:37:39 PM »
Dude, I did the same dang thing in 04.  I was surfing my humongous aircraft carrier Blair had built me and I thought i was in deep water, jumped off and shattered an ankle and tore ligaments in the other.  I know your pain.

goodfornothin

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2015, 08:40:48 PM »
I'll pm you my number, I have things that will reduce inflammation and pain.  But I've been looking into.this ice bath thing.  The healing goes out the roof with the ice to heat thing. It ain't fun but there's a reason all the pro football  guys are doing this now.

Get your wife to make bone broth soup for you and slam it down all day.  It will help your healing time immensely.

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2015, 04:57:35 AM »
My wife cracked her heel because of a minor fall off my surf SUP. She was trying out my 9'8" and not really enjoying it — her usual ride is an 11'3". She paddled in and when she was in just enough water to float the fin, a small wave came from behind her and lifted the tail. It tossed her forward off the board. She landed on her feet, but this was on the hard, Florida sand. It hurt her a lot, and when we got home she went to the doctor and found out her heel was cracked. Two months with a boot — at least she could still swim.

I feel kind of lousy about it because I didn't warn her. The same thing happened to me about an hour before, but I don't mind getting tossed around. She just landed really heavy.
Pau Hana 11' Big EZ Ricochet (Beluga)

OUTSIDEWAVE

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2015, 01:21:12 PM »
been there sorptive done that. Knew I was in shallow water didn't want to ground my fins so I jumped of kinda running landed funny  sprained ankle  4 weeks out.     ankle  still feel funny 2 years later 

"old age ain't for sissies"
SEA BIRDS THEY DO TOUCH AND GO AS THE WORLD JUST TANGOES BY.... SO I SADDLE UP MY SEAHORSE WITH MY FLYROD IN MY HAND.... 10'3 King custom  10'6"  c4 da beachboy

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2015, 04:29:09 PM »
PB, I did that to you, so sorry.  With the scolding you gave me, I got ticked and put a voodoo curse on you for the next time your surf.  Sometimes I forget the extent of my massive paranormal powers.  So sorry.  :)

I'm surprised all my buddies here and in Hood River didn't jump in and call "bullshit" in unison. They delight in pointing out that I'm bleeding all over my board. My wife says she knows where I've been by the bloody footprints. Oh, well.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2015, 08:33:15 PM »
PB, I did that to you, so sorry.  With the scolding you gave me, I got ticked and put a voodoo curse on you for the next time your surf.  Sometimes I forget the extent of my massive paranormal powers.  So sorry.  :)

I'm surprised all my buddies here and in Hood River didn't jump in and call "bullshit" in unison. They delight in pointing out that I'm bleeding all over my board. My wife says she knows where I've been by the bloody footprints. Oh, well.
So we are both the walking wounded.  Seems like the older I get, the more often I get hurt. 
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

hbsteve

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2015, 08:48:32 PM »
Pilates and Chi Gong exercises can be gentle on wounds like yours but still provide plenty of balance and strength training.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2015, 09:25:01 PM by hbsteve »

SlatchJim

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2015, 06:58:54 AM »
Once you get near or past the 50 yr mark, here are a few things to avoid:
Surfing shallow shore breaks.
Adult softball
Basketball
Skateboarding
Steep single tracks
Terran Parks
Anything wear you might be air born and the landing is not water.
Truth.  Sorry about the ankle Mike. Time heals all wounds...but then again, too much time and you're dead.  Guess you'd better heal fast!  ;D

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2015, 08:17:38 AM »
Once you get near or past the 50 yr mark, here are a few things to avoid:
Surfing shallow shore breaks.
Adult softball
Basketball
Skateboarding
Steep single tracks
Terran Parks
Anything wear you might be air born and the landing is not water.
Truth.  Sorry about the ankle Mike. Time heals all wounds...but then again, too much time and you're dead.  Guess you'd better heal fast!  ;D

I draw so much, uh, comfort from those words!  :)
« Last Edit: November 28, 2015, 08:20:43 AM by Zooport »
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

Subber

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2015, 09:12:34 AM »
A few years ago, I hurt my feet and ankles pretty good
noseriding the shallows at Blackies (Newport Beach). 
I'd be screaming along on the nose and just jump off.
Did it quite a bit - had a great time, until I could barely
walk.

Also, if I was going to fall, I'd fall backwards and flatten out like a Starfish.
One time I was going so fast, even spread eagle falling backwards in a couple of feet of water,
I hit the flat sandy bottom - whoa my butt ached
for about a week.

Learned my lessons about the shallows.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2015, 09:42:51 AM by Subber »
Jimmy Lewis Black & Blue Noserider 10'1"x31"x4.25," 164 liters, 24 lbs, 1 box
Pearson Laird Surftech Longboard 10'6"x23"x29.75"x18"x4.375," 154 liters, 24 lbs, 3 boxes
Takayama Ali'i II Surftech 11'x21.375”x28.5”x17.25”x 4.25,” 162 liters, 26 lbs, 3 boxes

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2015, 10:36:26 AM »
Starfish, eh?... Are their other options?  Mine situation is a lot like Subber's.  I'm always a beach break ..often there's some tourist on the bar, or inside, so you need to do a get-off to keep the board from advancing.  Means landing upright and often feeling like your heels hit concrete.  So, how do you dismount?

Jim
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 28, 2015, 01:26:56 PM »
If you're not a geezer you can practice a quick drop to one or both knees. Those of us of the geezer persuasion are slow to pull that off. If a beach is clearly just sand I'll stall behind a wave, step hard on the tail while I'm still paddling and land fins first. If you're confident of the shore it's easy to just step off, even if you screw up and wind up rolling around in five inches of water.  People say "what about your fins". I say:

A. You rarely (never) hurt your fins, you're not zooming forward and plowing them into the bottom, just planting them

And Two, screw the fins. I can get more. Ankles are precious, fins and finboxes are cheap.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2015, 02:20:47 PM »
I like your attitude there, Bill. Fins are disposable; ankles are not.
Pau Hana 11' Big EZ Ricochet (Beluga)

SUPcheat

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2015, 02:29:26 PM »
One thing I have noticed about some guys with lots of proner experience, especially long boards, is that they seem to have a styled reflex to fold themselves down along the stringer to re-capture their boards. 

My unfortunate reflex is to stiffen up and keel over off the rails.  Even trying to work on it, it is a tough habit to break.  When I drop to my knees, it is usually a clumsy free fall for at least part of the journey down.  I think the right way is to lean forward from surf stance and go down with one leg bent in front of the other.

I don't think I am ever going to be the wave god, pulling up to shore standing, and hopping adroitly off the board to hand the keys to the valet.  Especially after reading this thread, there is something to be said for the chicken shit cautious style.
2013 Fanatic Prowave LTD 9'3"x30.5x@134L
Sunova Speeed 8'10"x29.12@131L
Sunova Flow 8'7"x30.25"@121L
Carbon 9.3x32@163L Hammer
Me: 6'1"@230 lbs 68 years old

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal