Author Topic: Argggg! Stupid little fall with a bad result.  (Read 6831 times)

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Argggg! Stupid little fall with a bad result.
« on: November 25, 2015, 07:37:48 PM »
Was surfing lame little waves with OCSurf the other day.  Knee high at best.  Riding the 8'5 Blair right to the inside where it got really unstable because of backwash.  Got off balance a bit, stepped off the board into what I thought was about waist deep water, only to find it was barely ankle deep.  Unexpected sand bar.  The bottom was so much closer than I thought, I sort of whiplashed my ankle.  Landed it straight with no twist, so I shouldn't have hurt myself at all, but it hurt like crazy.  OC had to carry my board to my car for me.  My foot is black and X-rays this morning revealed a tiny fracture.  No cast, ankle brace only, but I'm high and dry for 4 to 6 weeks.  Right over my holiday vacations that teachers get.  [insert explicatives here]  Getting old and delicate, I suppose.

« Last Edit: November 25, 2015, 08:23:08 PM by Zooport »
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

supthecreek

Re: Argggg! Stupid little fall with a bad result.
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2015, 07:57:10 PM »
Yup.... I have seen more injuries in tiny waves than big ones, because of shallow water and boards you can't get away from.... and a little bit of casualness.

Sucks about your ankle..... heal fast!

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2015, 08:14:13 PM »
Easily done. Similar thing happened to me a couple of decades ago while surfing. It was so painful that those few moments changed my behaviour forever. Since then I always assume the water might be shallower than I expect. It happened to me on the first day of a surfing holiday I'd been looking forward to for months (and was non-refundable) and I had to go home. Driving back was almost impossible and I was on crutches for quite a while.

Hard luck. Very annoying.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2015, 08:30:36 PM »
Be one with the surface, grasshopper. Remember the lowly starfish and be like him (her, it). Maui teaches you really fast not to do that stuff. Razor blades with pincushions.

Today my knee gave out on a downwinder just as I turned to talk with Steven Ross and Bill Boyum who were in a twomacanu.  I bounced off the board and fell in the water and sunk like a stone because I wasn't being a starfish. I've been practicing breath holding since my asthma incident, so I did a little zen thing and didn't dart for the surface. I think Boyum decided I had kicked the bucket or something and was prepping to do body recovery. Shouldn't freak out my buddies like that. they're starting to think I'm kind of fragile.

Heal fast, listen to the doctor, and from now on, believe that the water is five inches deep and the bottom is covered in Wana (spiny urchins). 

Because here, it may well be.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

newton333

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2015, 05:59:07 AM »
Been there last February fell skateboarding in front of house night before 1 month trip to Puerto Rico... Broke kneecap in half. I used to skateboard vert for 20 yrs and wind up with worst injury I ever got on a skateboard from a penny board! Out of work for 4 months and rehabbing knee al summer.

jumpfrom13k

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2015, 06:07:26 AM »
Penny board is not meant to be ridden by someone who wears size 7 shoes and bigger.  ;)

I've seen one kid bomb down the trestle hill with a Penny. Crazy... Hit a pebble, and get into speed wobble with a board underneath your arm... What do you do then?

SUPcheat

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2015, 09:36:56 AM »
I have a strange premonition that it isn't the big stuff that will get me.  It is the small stuff.

I try not to take the trivial for granted and force myself to practice appropriate wave hygiene in all conditions when possible. 

Jumping on and off boards looks kind of cool and confident, but my body doesn't let me do it.  Always a kneesy and tenderfoot onto the reef. 

Like Pono said, Maui left me with an additional solemn trepidation about what can lie down there.
2013 Fanatic Prowave LTD 9'3"x30.5x@134L
Sunova Speeed 8'10"x29.12@131L
Sunova Flow 8'7"x30.25"@121L
Carbon 9.3x32@163L Hammer
Me: 6'1"@230 lbs 68 years old

SCruzSUPr

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2015, 09:42:18 AM »
Oh no, Zoo!  Sorry about that hard landing.  Pilates on the carpet in front of the fireplace over the holidays... perhaps interspersed with some Egg Nog.

Best wishes
10' x 32"        Bill Foote  Triton
9'5" x 31"       Sunova Speeed
11'2" x 32"     Bill Foote 'Geezer Sled'

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2015, 09:48:59 AM »
Once you get near or past the 50 yr mark, here are a few things to avoid:
Surfing shallow shore breaks.
Adult softball
Basketball
Skateboarding
Steep single tracks
Terran Parks
Anything wear you might be air born and the landing is not water.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2015, 10:02:47 AM »
Once you get near or past the 50 yr mark, here are a few things to avoid:
Surfing shallow shore breaks.
Adult softball
Basketball
Skateboarding
Steep single tracks
Terran Parks
Anything wear you might be air born and the landing is not water.
Adult softball being the worst.  Our games always erupt in fist fights.  Basketball yeah pretty rough and even though I felt confident about re-entering hang gliding at 53, it ended with me blowing my shin apart and getting back into downwinding on a prone board that led to SUP.... ah adventures at slow speed.  That's the life for me at 65. 

Bad wipeouts can happen out in any condition but higher odds when it's crap unpredictable surf.  There's that saying, you don't know till you go but I don't think so.  You know.  Sloppy surf, aside from being a stoke killer, can do you in with little tweak accidents.  Good surf usually makes you perform better.  Be patient, wait for the good so you're not injured when it arrives.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2015, 10:17:33 AM »
That sucks....heal fast. I'm on injured reserve for awhile too.....already going crazy.  I pretty much don't do anything but SUP these days. I joined a mens basketball league when I was about 45. I was a mediocre player but enjoy the game. 1st game, 1st move to the basket, easy layup....hyper extended knee......no more Bball for Bob other than a game of outs.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

SUPcheat

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2015, 10:20:03 AM »
Adult softball is excellent exercise for the screaming muscles and throbbing head veins.
2013 Fanatic Prowave LTD 9'3"x30.5x@134L
Sunova Speeed 8'10"x29.12@131L
Sunova Flow 8'7"x30.25"@121L
Carbon 9.3x32@163L Hammer
Me: 6'1"@230 lbs 68 years old

LB Surper

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2015, 10:34:29 AM »
It's the little mushy waves that get me into trouble.
Because the drop is so quick, there isn't enough time to set the feet and turn. Sure enough, I lost control and my back landed right on rail which was facing up. Ouch!!

Happy turkey all!
NSP DC 14'
Naish Hokua 9'6"
Mistral Diamond Head 8'6"
Naish Glide 14"

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2015, 03:36:01 PM »
Of course now that I made a big deal about being one with the surface I kicked the reef twice this morning surfing at Kanaha and fell on a rock getting out of the water after my no-wind downwinder on the southside. Since I'm on aspirin as a blood thinner to get rid of a superficial clot, I sprayed blood everywhere. Out bathroom looked like a crime scene from cleaning up and treating a 1/2" scrape. Sheesh, Instant karma.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2015, 05:25:36 PM »
PB, I did that to you, so sorry.  With the scolding you gave me, I got ticked and put a voodoo curse on you for the next time your surf.  Sometimes I forget the extent of my massive paranormal powers.  So sorry.  :)
« Last Edit: November 26, 2015, 05:29:35 PM by Zooport »
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

* Recent Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal