Author Topic: 14' cork sandwich build  (Read 11456 times)

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: 14' cork sandwich build
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2015, 04:23:36 AM »
out the bag and cleaned up. Pretty happy for a first go, not sure if i needed to put the relief cut in the nose or not as there is a tiny gap in the cork but it will be covered over by the end so not a issue on this one. ready for the deck.

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2015, 01:35:45 PM »
deck is all bagged and all done will be interested to see how it comes out as there were some quite tight curves. i cut some relief cuts in the tail but thats all.

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2015, 01:19:50 AM »
i forgot to say even with the bottom bagged there was still a good amount of flex in the blank so i set up 3 glassing stands and then using measurement of shape 3d i placed them in the correct place with a block on each end to get the rocker correct. I then weighted it down as the vac bag can pull it back out again when under vacuum.

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2015, 10:15:07 AM »
out the bag and as expected there are a few little creases that needed attention on the nose and tail but i just feathers them back and have patched them over to the blend back in.

One thing i have found is that i have been putting the cork logo down and when you come to feather it out on a rounded rail you sometimes can see the print at the very edge so I'm wondering if that actually needs to go logo out and then give the board a quick sand to remove them all which i am doing anyway, what would be really nice was if they didn't print over the hole dam thing! any ways just got to finish tidying it up then i will do all the inserts and then i think I'm actually going to all so vac the last layers of glass and a little carbon on the out side and see how light i can get it.

karl

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2015, 12:08:42 PM »
Hi Charlie
Does have a lot of flex in it at this stage? Be interesting to see how much outside lam stiffens it up.

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2015, 12:22:41 PM »
its starting to stiffen right up now but it basically only has one 4 oz top and bottom at the moment, I'm sure the outer layer will make all the difference. 

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2015, 09:04:34 AM »
though I had taken a few other pics but seam to have lost them, I have put the boxes in and have now got it back in the bag with a 4oz bottom skin on, cant wait to see how it looks when its out the bag!

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2015, 09:31:57 AM »
the lady rules--hope her site stays up--constantly refer to it

and her sandwich power bit is like all hers--short, sweet, on point
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

loosehead

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2015, 04:41:45 AM »
why are you using cork ? is it for looks or strength?

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2015, 01:37:41 PM »
deck laminated fairly wet before going in the bag for the last time.

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2015, 01:48:26 PM »
It's an interesting shape, Charlie. What conditions/use is the board for?

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2015, 02:05:48 PM »
It's going to jersey so it's a ocean based race board. It's basically a modified vershion of my 12'6

SUPflorida

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2015, 02:33:04 PM »
What is your secret for keeping the uni Carbon tape perfectly straight? Are you cutting any relief in the blank to not suffer a rise in the deck because of the tape? I have had issues with 9 oz Uni carbon in the past and end up having to put more of a resin/fill coat (read added weight) to fair it in.

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2015, 03:31:09 PM »
nothing just lay it down by eye generally lay one end down so it sticks then just from the other by lifting it up. it is only 4oz so blends in fine with a little extra cheater coat.

SUPflorida

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: December 04, 2015, 03:51:55 PM »
I was thinking since you have the precision of CNC you could cut a 1/16" relief the width of the tape down the center to bring out the laminate perfectly flat. .I guess it all depends if you are vacuum bagging and the weight of the tape. 4 oz many not be worth it...but with 9 oz it could be worth the trouble.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal