Author Topic: which fin to add stability  (Read 3250 times)

GlideMarko

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • my wikipedia site
which fin to add stability
« on: November 23, 2015, 10:59:37 PM »
just mooving from 14x25 to 14x23 board and for winter coming I would need as much as possible stability (i'm not penguin) to keep me dry! I'm thinking of  Futures JU runner, Gladiator Hybreed? Any other? any suggestions?

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: which fin to add stability
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2015, 12:17:41 AM »
What are you wanting to do with it, and in what environment? Flat water touring, course racing with buoy turns, racing in a straight line (eg. sprints), downwinding, technical surf race, marathon distance on rivers, lakes or sea, lots of cross-chop or flat as a pancake etc?

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2015, 04:57:14 AM »
GM,  This is someone's Signature model.  Psychologically it seems to help....  I suspect it would be more useful for stability in the center of the board. 

Jim

Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

JimK

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Big Guys can have fun too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2015, 07:37:36 AM »
I REALLY like the Gladiator Predator in choppy water really adds stability for me

JimK
www.extremewindsurfing.com

Larry Allison

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/larry.w.allison
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2015, 03:39:53 PM »
The JU is ok but gives a governor feel due to the round trailing edge which holds water longer. This is why I change the design of the JU to a Bat a couple years later to break the release of water flow off the trailing edge for speed and turning without sacrificing stability and hold.

Gladiator Hybrid has to much tip hold for a 14 ft board which would cause a tug feel like dragging seaweed behind you, because of less tail rocker than 12ft/6in board where a Hybrid would be the fin of Choice over a Bat or JU.

Enjoy my friend!
« Last Edit: November 24, 2015, 03:46:04 PM by ProBox-Larry »
Allison Race Fins

LeeBee

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2015, 12:39:19 PM »
My experience with the Gladiator Hybrid is it was significantly better on my Amundson-TR-X than the Amundson one and did not effect maneuverability significantly. The problem is this board at 27.5" width, the effect may not be as significant, as this is a very stable board to begin with. I did not see any difference in speed with this fine vs. the stock on based on my GPS on flat water, and the Hybrid sheds weeds very well. If you go this way stick with the standard mounting, the snap in one has too much flex side to side based on two samples.
2019 Mistral Stealth 17' 6" x 24"
2019 Mistral Interceptor 17' 6" x 24"
2017 NSP Ninja 14' x 25"
2016 JP Australia All-Around 11' 8" x 31"
Stellar S16S surf ski
Kai Barton ARES OC-1 outrigger canoe

robon

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2015, 12:55:15 PM »
I noticed an immediate difference in stability with the Gladiator Hybrid on my Naish Glide 14 X 29.25. I started out with the Hybrid on the Glide because I lost the screw for the stock dagger fin and just stuck the Gladiator on for my first few outings on the board. I put the stock Naish dagger fin on and the board was much looser. Day and night difference. Initial and secondary stability was better with the Hybrid than the dagger without question, but the Hybrid is much harder to hold a bearing with in cross chop and swirling currents. The Glide is stable to begin with, and the Hybrid seems like too much fin in most conditions for that board. I would like to try a smaller Gladiator. I love weedless fins.

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2015, 02:36:54 PM »
The smallest Gladiator (Pro) fin is great..

I regard it as a pretty big fln and wouldn't want any bigger.

greatdane

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Paddle Surf Northwest
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2015, 04:45:43 PM »
I found the standard LA Ninja also added a fair amount of stability in rough conditions.  When it was flatter I'd switch to the smaller Stealth Ninja.
Kialoa Paddles
Fibre Glas Fin Co
OnIt! Pro
Monster And Sea Clothing

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2015, 06:13:22 PM »
just mooving from 14x25 to 14x23 board and for winter coming I would need as much as possible stability (i'm not penguin) to keep me dry! I'm thinking of  Futures JU runner, Gladiator Hybreed? Any other? any suggestions?

For 23" and stability would put on an Elite or Hybrid to stay dry.  Is a touch draggy but provides stability.  Once comfortable would switch down to a smaller fin for more maneuverability and speed.  Here are a couple of pics to compare.
Fast is FUN!   8)
Dominator - Touring Pintail - Bullet V2 - M14 - AS23

GlideMarko

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • my wikipedia site
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2015, 11:27:51 PM »
Thanks guys for the input! i guess i just have my christmass wish written down.
we just got snow this week and upgrading SB race 14x25 to SB all star 14x23 will be a challenge to stay dry in freezing conditions and thats one of a reasons for new fin. I will definitely paddle only lake on flat days. :-)  Second reason is to concentrate more on paddling at rough sea races than stability.

in meanwhile, i made wood gladiator for fun (as much as i can make it manually at home).
http://www.seabreeze.com.au/forums/Stand-Up-Paddle/SUP/wood-sup-fin/#1806607

cheers!

GlideMarko

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • my wikipedia site
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2015, 04:19:03 AM »
in official 2016 SB all star 2016 video Futures JB runner fin is used...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal