Author Topic: Proner Impediment Tactic  (Read 12940 times)

RATbeachrider

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: Proner Impediment Tactic
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2015, 03:46:08 PM »
It happened to me for the first time last Saturday in butt-high wave and at the home-break for the last 30 years.  A mid-twenties kid on a long board cut me off and then snaked the wave.  I waited for him to paddle back out and told him not to do it again because I didn't want a collision.  He told me: "take the watercraft somewhere else."  I paddled over next to him and asked: "What the fuck you just said?" Kid kept quite and paddled away from the break.  My home boys, out on SUPs and proning, almost die from hysteria.

supthecreek

« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2015, 07:40:10 PM »
^^^^^^^^^^
Works for me!  ;D ;D ;D

bajasurf

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2015, 08:34:03 PM »
Love it Rat!  Way to go Bro. 

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2015, 07:06:04 AM »
i find proners are less likely to do the right thing to benefit a supper.

like paddling out, theyll paddle up and over in front of me, rather than ducking whitewater--something theyd not do to a fellow proner.

i find that when i dont bail and steer around/close to them, they get the message.

wasnt an issue yesterday at a place where i do pilgrimage regularly--5 guys between 3 peaks--sun down moon up!

Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

SuppaTime

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2015, 09:30:55 AM »
No question the cement truck analogy comes into play. Almost nobody gets in my way on purpose. I also try and head off any animosity.

I have found that technique also works in Costco. If someone tries to snake me while going for the jumbo 24-pack of beans I just go balls-out for the goods, like a cement truck. Everyone scatters. :)
Slippahs:
Locals size 13
Reefs size 13
None size 13

wrybread

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2015, 03:14:23 PM »
I know this isn't going to be a popular opinion around here, but in my opinion you shouldn't be in a position where this is even possible, especially if, as you describe, you're "at long wide open beach breaks".

When we're riding SUPs we have sooo much more mobility than surfers, and so much more wave catching ability, that competing for waves with them simply isn't fair. Its like if someone started towing in with a jetski outside of a pack of SUPs.

So my advice would be to find a different peak. Or if its a point break type situation and its crowded go for the waves that swing wide.

But make no mistake, if this is happening often to you, you're definitely being sent a message by them.

Back before I started to SUP, if a SUP was hogging waves I'd simply ignore him and paddle for whatever I wanted, even if it meant dropping in on him. That's a *really* popular approach by surfers to SUPers who are perceived as using their equipment to gain an unfair advantage. Same thing with shortboarders dropping in on longboarders who take off way outside and hog all the waves. In general any time your equipment makes it easier to catch waves than the people around you, you have to be super super super careful not to abuse it. And that's something that SUP folks who don't come from the surf universe often don't understand.

Personally I very rarely ride a SUP anywhere near surfers unless I know them. And when I see a SUPer in the pack it makes me cringe, unless he absolutely rips and therefore knows about wave culture (which is almost never the case if he's getting in the pack). But it helps that where I surf there's always lots of options.

« Last Edit: November 25, 2015, 03:27:34 PM by wrybread »

othpaddler

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2015, 03:57:16 PM »

I have been SUS almost daily at an established Oahu southshore break for 6 years.  The break has plenty of old timers on long boards as well as a mix of shortboarders.  If you are competent on an SUP the line up is pretty tolerant of you, as long as you don't hog the waves or create a hazard.  If you do either of these things, one of the old timers will pay you a visit and suggest that you surf elsewhere. 

The problem with the charge-ahead tactic with those that pull the snake-out move is that you can easily be perceived as creating a hazard, whether the culprit is an old timer on a long board or a young kid on a shortboard (and likely a nephew of someone at the break).  In this setting, it is by far the better policy to simply back off and let the snake-out artist get the wave.  This way you avoid hostility toward yourself in particular and SUPs in general.  And if you are competent on an SUP there will be plenty other waves to catch.  If you are not competent on an SUP (given wave and crowd conditions), you shouldn't be at that break anyway.   

wrybread

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2015, 04:04:09 PM »
@othpaddler: amen.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2015, 06:22:35 PM »
That pretty much sums up my attitude, Wry and OTH, though I've seen a few folks that are making a statement, and it's not because the SUP'r is taking too many waves, or hogging, but just because they don't like SUPs no matter who is on them and how they act. I don't put up with that very well, but I don't make a big deal about it. Just take my waves and try not to kill anybody.

I still maintain that the "best" breaks are those with convenient parking, and there's lots of stuff that's SUP-accessible that isn't so easy for anyone else, but sometimes the swell is where it chooses to be, and your choice is surf in a crowd or don't surf. the last four days have been shoulder to overhead and very shapely waves at Ho'okipa, and nowhere else AFAIK. I've been tempted, but the scrum looked just a little much, and even picking off stuff away from the best breaks would get crowded by the time I got the second wave. But if the wave shortage goes on a little longer I'm going to get out my elbow pads and join in.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2015, 06:28:59 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

othpaddler

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2015, 07:22:38 PM »
Pono, you are right that there is often a jerk or two at many crowded breaks that, on principal, will attempt to snake-out an SUP at every opportunity.  And while it is tempting to give them what they have coming (and I have had a few unpleasant exchanges), it is almost always better to avoid even a verbal altercation, which to many proners will simply validate the view the SUPs are disruptive to a harmonious line-up.

Fortunately, with the exception of a few super high performance breaks, the attitude toward SUPs on Oahu's Southshore is pretty tolerant.  I'd like to think it's a product of the Aloha Spirit, which even in these trying times still does exist in Hawaii.  My experience on Maui at 1000 peaks and Launupoko Park has in fact been completely positive and hassle free.

Of course Oahu's Northshore, during peak winter months is a different story.  There, you better really know what your doing, and even then don't even think of going out to the glamour spots when they are crowded.  Of course, depending on conditions, you can always head down the coast to Mokuleia and Wailua and finds plenty of uncrowded places.  It sounds like it is a similar situation on Maui's Northshore (and of course, as I understand it, everyone knows that you can't SUP Honolua Bay).

Just aim to enjoy the beauty of our wave riding lifestyle and hopefully maintain a positive vibe for everyone in the water. 

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2015, 08:41:12 PM »
Yeah, same, same in Maui. We leave Honolua alone, and mostly Ho'okipa except for Lanes and a little between Pavilions and Trees. the rest of the north shore is open, and likewise the south and west side--except Lahima Breakwall when it's big, and that's mostly because it's a fast, vicious shortboard break.

We've got some size coming. that will trim the time I spend typing substantially, and I will not give two shits for Trump, Clinton or Sharia law.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

goodfornothin

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2015, 09:07:22 PM »
Forum is always busy when it's flat

Got wavez and I have surfed a few good reefs along the miracle of the North shore.  Never had any issues.  Surfed puena point and avalanches a few times with nothing but encouragement to drop bigger and deeper.  It's attitude mostly. And knowing when to say no and go somewhere else.  I can make any wave fun on these boards.  That's why I like sup so much. 

I usually paddle everywhere on my belly and sit most of the time.  I just sit in the pocket and jump to my feet as a set comes.  I rarely chase stuff down.  Probably a lot about perspective, kinda like the ceo's big tall chair and the dude about to be fired  in a pink hobby chair.  Nobody likes to be stood over.  I've noticed a big change in attitude once I stopped standing so much. Cuz nobody give me no respect even when I'm getting spit out a barrel. So sad, so true, who cares,,hahahaha

Oh and about the cock-blockers,,,let um do it once,,then don't be a pussy and run them the fuck over the next time, and be sure to have a proper follow through on your paddle stroke.  Bunch of passive aggressive emo  nazi haircut stupid bearded man babies on short boards drive me fucking crazy (yes I live in HB, the nexus of these bearded man babies) 

I can't wait to get back in the water, sheesh over a month now.  Hopefully next week there will be waves.

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: November 25, 2015, 09:17:46 PM »

When we're riding SUPs we have sooo much more mobility than surfers, and so much more wave catching ability, that competing for waves with them simply isn't fair.

True, except it depends on the size of board you are riding.  When I'm on my 7'4, long board proners have an wave catching advantage over me and I must wait inside of them.  I find that I rarely tic proners off on that board because they usually have the advantage.
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: November 25, 2015, 09:21:50 PM »

I can't wait to get back in the water, sheesh over a month now.  Hopefully next week there will be waves.

Why have you been out for so long?
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

wrybread

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: November 25, 2015, 09:22:26 PM »
Nice to get the Hawaii perspective.

Where I am (northern California) its mostly beach break so its easy to spread out. But even then the SUPs tend to go to the softer peaks. There's one super performance wave that really doesn't break until we get some 16 second or better energy and then its a nasty barreling freight train, and if you paddle out on a SUP and don't know the locals you'll definitely get some curiosity aimed your way. But a good part of that is just that they don't want you to get caught inside near them and bail your board which, lets face it, we SUPers sort of have to do. In an ideal world our perspective and mobility make it so we don't get caught inside, but things don't always work out that way.

That spot is a SUP chomper anyway, I've now broken two SUP boards there, the last one being a loaner Naish Hokua. That led to my theory that Naish boards really don't belong in big surf, they're just too fragile, but that's another topic.

We've got some size coming. that will trim the time I spend typing substantially, and I will not give two shits for Trump, Clinton or Sharia law.
Amen to that!

It's attitude mostly.

I agree. If people can tell you know what you're doing, they're glad to have you in the lineup. That goes for pretty much any craft, including spongers. But of course hogging waves is a sign that someone doesn't know what they're doing (not saying anyone here is doing that, just saying).

I can make any wave fun on these boards.  That's why I like sup so much. 

Yes!

I usually paddle everywhere on my belly and sit most of the time.  I just sit in the pocket and jump to my feet as a set comes.  I rarely chase stuff down.  Probably a lot about perspective, kinda like the ceo's big tall chair and the dude about to be fired  in a pink hobby chair.  Nobody likes to be stood over.  I've noticed a big change in attitude once I stopped standing so much. Cuz nobody give me no respect even when I'm getting spit out a barrel. So sad, so true, who cares,,hahahaha

Super good point. I've been trying to do the same lately when chatting with someone on a regular board. And the whole pacing back and forth thing that most SUPs do is so completely different than what surfers are doing that I don't blame them for seeing us as a disturbance in the lineup. Chilling out and sitting on your board like everyone else is probably a phenomenal way of lessening the differences between SUP and prone.

* Recent Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal