Author Topic: At some point in life those DIN settings go the other way.  (Read 2616 times)

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
At some point in life those DIN settings go the other way.
« on: November 22, 2015, 10:15:59 PM »
Going skiing tomorrow. Pulled the skis out of the closet. Every year post season,  I take the tension of our binding springs and do a wax over. I grabbed the boots, put the skis on the floor, popped the boots into the bindings, and started to crank some tension on them.
I thought I better Google the DIN settings for the wife and growing kids. Just for the heck of it , I punched in my current spec's.  It said over 50 year's old,  it should be set at 9.5 to 10...... Wait a minute. ... I've had them cranked up to 11.5 to 12 for over 30 years.
Then I thought about how my knees limit me to about 3 hrs of hard skiing a day. Advil and ice afterwards and I'm good to go the next day. All of the sudden, the 9.5 sounds like a good idea.  I don't want to  pre-release,  but the alternative could be a lot worse. 
I still like to ski hard and play hard, but I guess its just time I adjust to my new DIN settings. One of those realizations.
I think a similar thing happens with board lengths.

It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

goodfornothin

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Re: At some point in life those DIN settings go the other way.
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2015, 10:33:33 PM »
Two things,,

Bindings should be maxed at 14

Every turn is a sign of fear

You are old,,,if you yard sale down cornice bowel,,can you slog back up cornice to get your ski?  Probably not,,you are old,,so I say max at 14,,that way when you double hand spring down cornice,,your skiis will be right there still attached,,,,it's a winning plan

It's my plan each winter

supdiscobay

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2015, 12:04:05 AM »
Bought new skiis last year.  DIN settings the shop put on were way to low.  I could easily twist out stationary.  So I just kept twisting and upping the DIN until I could not easily twist out (both inside twist and outside twist) and then backed off 1/2 DIN.  It wasn't 14 like it used to be, but it was well above the 8.5 DIN the shop set it at.
Also my right leg is stronger than my left so, it got a slight bump in DIN compared to the left ski.  Unfortunately due to lack of snow I only skied them one half day.  Looking to up that when I get back from Maui tomorrow.
8'5" Starboard Pocket Rocket, 8'0" Kazuma Fugu custom,  8'10" Kings Sidewinder, 10' Starboard Noserider, 14' BARK Carbon Dominator, SIC F16 V3, KeNalu and Quickblade paddles, 19' Eaton Prone, 67" Goode 9700

lucabrasi

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2015, 04:57:46 AM »
Quite often that 3 hours of skiing nowadays is like 5-6 back in the day of slow lifts so perhaps you aren't as beat up as you think. You are just as old tho.
I had a chart saved on a different computer and it appears much of the stuff popping up online now is calculators you punch in and it comes up with the result. Sift through and a chart will show up if it didn't for you. Geez, they were pumping me in at 6.5 on those calculators. Ain't no way, even my sissy ass. Seems when I had new bindings mounted last year they came back at 7 or 7.5. I go around 8.5 or 9 is all anymore but I have always backed off a 1/2-1 or so. 
Two things,,
Bindings should be maxed at 14
Every turn is a sign of fear
You are old,,,if you yard sale down cornice bowel,,can you slog back up cornice to get your ski?  Probably not,,you are old,,so I say max at 14,,that way when you double hand spring down cornice,,your skiis will be right there still attached,,,,it's a winning plan
It's my plan each winter
That's funny.

Always freaked me out setting my kids bindings and playing out all the possibilities in my head......pre release or no release and worrying about whether I did it right or not. You could always just slap on a board and not worry about such things.........not.

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2015, 04:58:39 AM »
conundrum--and nuttin, it aint only the yard sale, it's the pre-release in a no-fall situation.
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2015, 05:05:24 AM »
scariest moment of my life was watching my daughter, 8 years-old at the time, slip off the high T at alta into the trees before Race Course, and go out of sight. I skied down scared to death of what I'd find. She was OK, crying, frightened badly, and I felt awful. She'd skiied out that very travers 50 times at least, but simply wasnt focussed.

I was glad when they finally put bars on the chairs there. Yeah, youre in charge of your own shit and all that, but kids chasing snowflakes with their tongue on the chair, like mine often did, stand to forget where they are.........
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

Weasels wake

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2015, 09:51:02 AM »
It's not just the DIN setting, for me anyway, the wetsuits get thicker and the wheel barrels becomes smaller (if in construction like I am), my next wheel barrel will probably be a plastic Tonka toy.
It takes a quiver to do that.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2015, 07:52:19 PM »
Skiing was great today. Sunny sky's , hard pack groomed, 50 degrees,  and no one there. My kids and I just did non-stops top to bottom.  My knees started talking to me about 2pm.  So I made it 4 hrs. Hit a few jumps , flew some breakovers, did a few solo high speed- super G runs.
Did the Ibuprofen and ice treatment. Should be good for tomorrow. Set the DIN at 11 and never thought about it again.
It's not overhead to me!

cnski

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2015, 08:12:09 PM »
Way to go tall dude. Crank em up! Where were you skiing today? I skied my gs skis today on the groomers after skiing very creamy graupel on my fat skis the last few days. They really take a toll on my knees and back. Really hoping this coming storm does something magical for us here in the beehive state.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2015, 08:11:53 AM »
You're a wise man, dude. Back it off, but not too much. I've been working like a maniac getting Ponohouse ready to show. On the one hand it feels good to outwork all the young guys we hire to help out, and take on the dirty jobs and the dump runs myself. On the other hand I don't remember being this exhausted and cranky after a hard day's work, so I'm pretty happy to push some things towards the hired help. Back it off, but not too much. I'm not going to sit on the sidelines any time soon, but I'm also not going to ask for the injuries that might sideline me forever.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2015, 02:58:44 PM »
It feels like winter in the Socal mtn's.  The wind was up and the clouds are moving in.  My thighs were burning by noon today. Knees are fine. Non-stop high speed turns on groomers,  top to bottom again.  No lift lines or crouds.
Cnski,  Our friends live in Park City.  We skied there last year over New years.  I was Soooo cold. Minus 25 on the hill. Not fun. Deer Valley hit 14 deg on our last day skiing. That was nice.
Pono, I'm sure with that down sizing there will be a garage sale.  I like to be at that garage sale....
It's not overhead to me!

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2015, 07:12:38 PM »
Mostly it will be pay it forward. I learn from my brother too.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2015, 09:44:11 AM »
Here's how good it was. No pre-release issues at DIN 10. No one there, all groomers, and clear blue sky. The sun behind me shows me skiing via my silhouette. Interesting effect.
It's not overhead to me!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal