Author Topic: Out of action for a bit  (Read 31028 times)

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
Re: Out of action for a bit
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2015, 10:37:56 AM »
Maybe she and I could share a brace... ;)...of course once she saw my fat ass in it she wouldn't want it back... :)
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2015, 03:38:06 PM »
Any lady that has a nice looking booty wearing that thing has a VERY nice booty.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2015, 07:05:36 PM »
Frustrated...this thing is progressing in the wrong direction. We have a bad streak of arthritis in the family and it looks and feels like I have it. Numbness and pain down both legs...feels like they want to go out from under me frequently. gets worse the longer I'm on my feet. Seeing a PT/Chiro, doing the daily exercises to try and open me up. I'm going to be out of action longer than I thought.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2015, 07:36:37 PM »
Crap, that sucks, Stoney!
Pau Hana 11' Big EZ Ricochet (Beluga)

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2015, 08:03:57 PM »
So sorry to hear that stoneaxe.  Praying for a speedy recovery.
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2015, 08:16:30 PM »
I have a condition in my hips that's pre-arthritic--closing the gap in the joints because the muscles get too tight. Makes my leg go numb and aches deep inside. the effective exercise is hip openers, and you need a hefty PT to help you with it. I suspect that like me you can easily press 1000 pounds with your legs--at least in a fake, partial motion press. So some light guy bouncing on your hip flexors is not going to help a lot. You need to find a moose, but you might look into it. It's a common therapy thing, involves rotating the joint a bit and then pressing hard. to rotate the joint and stretch the muscles. I get instant relief from it that lasts a few days when the condition is bothering me. If I do it frequently it goes away for a while,  then I start ignoring it and it comes back in a year.

I also do some stretches that help. These kind of pull-over things that I learned from the YMCA healthy back program. You put one leg up, knee bent, foot across the other knee. Then reach across and pull the leg against your hip.

Or you could try this:

Seriously though, yoga helps me, though it's pretty boring.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2015, 08:54:05 PM »
I suppose it's not bizarre coincidence. The guy that is working on me is doing exactly that. He said its all about getting my hips loose so that the muscles aren't pulling my spine down. The stretches he has me doing on my own are the exact crossover you describe, that and a lunge where I can use my weight to stretch the hip. As for size....He decided to get into chiro when he screwed up his neck playing football and a chiro fixed him up. He is almost exactly my size, maybe slightly bigger if anything. He's kind of shocked how tight my legs are. Hopefully I'll have the same relief you've had. Pain in the ass...literally.

Yoga is also in my future....not sure I could concentrate on my form with that going on though.
Bob

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2015, 09:24:10 PM »
Best thing about Yoga class. Don't go to one with a bunch of sweaty guys with yoga pants.

I suspect that if you get your hips X-rayed you'll find the joint is currently fine, but the doc will tell you you're headed for degeneration. It never happened with me. the exercises and therapy seem to have staved it off. That and probably some fortunate genes. I've had them checked three times by the same doc and he's shocked that the joint has stayed intact, in fact he says that except for how tight the joint is he'd think he was looking at a 30-year-old's hip joint. Twenty years ago he told me I was headed for hip replacement in five years.

And yes, lots of lunges, and switch them up. rotate your knees outward when you reach the bottom of the lunge. I do them in soft sand. Helps.

I don't think its a coincidence. I think you get to follow me through the general progression. I'd tell you what's in store, but it's pretty depressing. On the plus side we male Babcocks seem to heal well, on the minus side, we get a lot of practice.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2015, 09:26:45 PM by PonoBill »

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2015, 06:51:54 AM »
that poor woman---imagine having to carry all that weight up front--makes me want to jump in the pic and traction those things
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2015, 06:53:06 AM »
anything to help out a fellow human
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

surfKnobby

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2015, 01:55:18 PM »
Yes, lots of lunges. Not only for the hips, but a great foundation exercise. Kalama says he does 400 every morning.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2015, 04:03:17 PM »
He's not kidding. I've done them with him, then went paddling my OC1. Spent the next five days sleeping sitting up on the couch, dealing with total-body muscle cramps.

I thought it might be mostly the OC1. When I went to the doc and said that he yelled "are you f%$#ng kidding! You worked out with Dave Kalama. He's an animal!"

« Last Edit: December 14, 2015, 04:05:37 PM by PonoBill »

johnysmoke

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 15, 2015, 09:32:29 AM »
Hope you recover quickly. Maybe try a few Tai Chi classes? Might work well to gently open up your hips and possibly help with the shoulders as well. Would also gently strengthen your legs while helping with balance and alignment. It's actually pretty sneaky in how good it is for you, but consistency would be key.
SIC F14
Bark Eliminator
C4 Beachboy

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #28 on: December 19, 2015, 10:22:11 PM »
MRI getting scheduled. He wants to make sure what he thinks is going on is going on. Had a hard time walking on occasion this week. Fingers crossed though it felt better today than it has since it started. definitely cramping my style. Just being on my feet is what does it, and hour and I can hardly walk. My dancing has suffered terribly... :P
« Last Edit: December 19, 2015, 10:26:10 PM by stoneaxe »
Bob

PDLSFR

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 20, 2015, 03:42:11 PM »
Hope your feeling better soon !!!
Infinity RNB 8'2
Ron House 9'7
Ron House 10'7
Infinity New Deal 10'
Custom Infinity New Deal 10'
VEC 11'