Author Topic: Out of action for a bit  (Read 31026 times)

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
Out of action for a bit
« on: November 22, 2015, 07:21:03 PM »
I first felt something a month or so ago. Lower back pain on the right side. Figured I'd tweaked a muscle. A couple weeks ago I tweaked it again surfing at 1st beach, not too bad though....I went back out. It's been bothering me since. Always slightly uncomfortable with sharp pains now and then. It didn't seem like it was spinal...off to the right and not necessarily connected to movement. Coughing especially hurt. Saturday I got slammed...dropped me to my knees. Screaming pain, wife drove me to the hospital. Diagnosis six hours later, sacroilliac disease. rest, meds, heat and cold...sucks getting old.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Out of action for a bit
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2015, 08:00:14 PM »
You'll be back at it in no time Stoney!

freetobeme

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2015, 08:00:49 PM »
Prayers and good vibes to you Bob!
"Everything you want is on the other side of fear" - George Addair

CoreVac Cannibal BOMB 8'8

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2015, 05:19:07 AM »
i was relieved to hear what it is, stoney---youll get past that with ease, given other shit youve fought off.

good luck getting back fast. but take care--if anything you're at risk of overdoing therapy--be patient, work with a good PT who knows you want back quick.
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

PDLSFR

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2015, 05:29:04 AM »
Rest up bud and enjoy Thanksgiving with your family and we will see you out in the line up soon enough !!
Infinity RNB 8'2
Ron House 9'7
Ron House 10'7
Infinity New Deal 10'
Custom Infinity New Deal 10'
VEC 11'
Focus Bluefin 14'

Off-Shore

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • HksupaHK SUP and Downwinding
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2015, 05:40:56 AM »
Good meds and a good PT can work miracles. Just takes time, persistence and patience. We're with you Bob.
SB 9' x 33' x 4.1" - RPC 9'8" iSUP - SB All-Star 12'6" - Blue Planet Bump Rider 14 - SB Ace 14 x 27 - RedAir 14' Elite Race - SIC Bullet 14v1 TWC - SICMaui F16v3 Custom

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/HksupaHk_SUP_and_Downwinding

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2015, 08:52:21 AM »
At least it's common and fix-able. Our family has a lot of joint issues, partly arthritis and partly the simple fact that we are all huge. People think I'm joking when I say I'm the little member of the family.

Besides all the good ideas above (yes, do the PT) I also suggest dumping some weight. I'm doing the intermittent fast, partly for health reasons, partly for weight. I dumped 14 pounds so far and it's made a big difference on my knees. I plan to drop 35 more and be under 200 pounds. Increasing my exercise at the same time to save muscle mass.

I cheat on the fasting almost every fast day, which probably compromises the health benefits, but I'm still losing weight. I guys this is one case where half-fast is good enough.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

addapost

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2015, 12:45:56 PM »
I first felt something a month or so ago. Lower back pain on the right side. Figured I'd tweaked a muscle. A couple weeks ago I tweaked it again surfing at 1st beach, not too bad though....I went back out. It's been bothering me since. Always slightly uncomfortable with sharp pains now and then. It didn't seem like it was spinal...off to the right and not necessarily connected to movement. Coughing especially hurt. Saturday I got slammed...dropped me to my knees. Screaming pain, wife drove me to the hospital. Diagnosis six hours later, sacroilliac disease. rest, meds, heat and cold...sucks getting old.
That sucks! Our Downwinder maybe? Anyway, get well soon.
Bunch of old shit

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2015, 02:16:24 AM »
Heal up man and plus one on the PT.

kayadogg

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2015, 12:44:23 PM »
Bob, glad to hear it's nothing major, so to speak. A guy that I paddle with frequently out here was having back pain all through the summer. He was training for a 22 mile race in Tahoe and attributed it to overdoing it. About a month ago it finally got so bad he drove himself to the ER on a Monday. That following Friday he was sitting in front of an oncologist, discussing treatment options for a large lymphoma tumor on his spine. Good chance of him beating it because apparently the larger ones respond better to chemo.

Heal up quick and I'll see you out in the water soon enough.

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2015, 01:02:09 PM »
I cheat on the fasting almost every fast day, which probably compromises the health benefits, but I'm still losing weight. I guys this is one case where half-fast is good enough.
Nothing to add to that from here.

One thing this all points out, esp. with kayadogg's friend, is that one benefit of being active is that when things go wrong with you, you notice them sooner.  If you never push yourself, you might not catch problems until they're much further along.

supthecreek

« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2015, 01:37:32 PM »
Geeze Bobby.... working too much must have pissed off the Bod Gods.
I suggest you take early retirement and try to get back on their good side.

Heal well.... and remember.... when you get better, you'll be even older  ;)

newton333

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2015, 06:03:19 AM »
Hey at least it's in winter, suck to mis out on warm water. Good luck.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2015, 09:39:38 AM »
Stoney, I pictured you having to wear some kinda brace. When I looked it up, it looked kinda nice actually. Have a great medically induced Thanksgiving....
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

SUPcheat

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2015, 10:18:40 AM »
Looks designed to prevent yoga shorts pop outs during pop ups.
2013 Fanatic Prowave LTD 9'3"x30.5x@134L
Sunova Speeed 8'10"x29.12@131L
Sunova Flow 8'7"x30.25"@121L
Carbon 9.3x32@163L Hammer
Me: 6'1"@230 lbs 68 years old

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal