Author Topic: First Snow Paddle  (Read 4363 times)

sicktwist

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
First Snow Paddle
« on: November 21, 2015, 02:05:17 PM »
Last night we had out first snowfall here in southwest Michigan.  After work today I took the opportunity to get out on the water for my first ever paddle in the snow.  I was quite warm in my drysuit and 8mm booties.  However, towards the end of my paddle my feet were starting to feel the cold and my hands were the real reason why I didn't paddle further.  I remember reading somewhere here that polypropylene socks work great to keep your feet toasty with some booties.  Any suggestions on a good pair of gloves for cold weather paddling?

Anyway here are a few pictures while on the water.

The launch...

And a couple while on the river...

supthecreek

Re: First Snow Paddle
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2015, 09:02:22 PM »
Not that I am excited to see it.... but very nice.... great shots!

Keep padding and posting....plenty of amazing things to see out there....
There is no off-season!

sicktwist

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2015, 02:43:24 PM »
Thanks for the input Creek!

Like you I am not super excited to see the snow, but it does offer a change of scenery when paddling around which is nice. 

ForeverBlue232

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2015, 08:14:51 AM »
You are braver than me.  I like your Bote Drift, though.  I think when I get my first inflatable, that will be the model I get.

OnionMan

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2015, 01:21:51 PM »
Nice pics of the winter paddling! As the weather gets colder here in the Mid-Atlantic, I long to paddle on some empty waterways. Can I ask what kind of dry suit you use? Is it restrictive?

sicktwist

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2015, 02:18:42 PM »
Nice pics of the winter paddling! As the weather gets colder here in the Mid-Atlantic, I long to paddle on some empty waterways. Can I ask what kind of dry suit you use? Is it restrictive?

I use an Ocean Rodeo Soul drysuit.  It is not restrictive at all, actually it is quite comfortable.  Also incredibly warm.  I had a t-shirt and some track pants on underneath the suit that day.   

bernhardd

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2015, 11:45:23 PM »
Check this out

http://www.supskin.com

Bart de Zwart uses them.
Know-how for starboard drysuit came from
them.
Amazingly light weight!!!

OnionMan

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2015, 05:00:09 AM »
Thanks for the info on the dry suits. I'll be saving for one for the 16-17 winter. Pretty mild here in the Mid Atlantic now!

HanaSurf

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2015, 06:39:42 PM »
For inexpensive gloves I got 2 pair combo of wells lamont work gloves at Walmart for about six bucks. They work great . Hard to describe but they say a winter weight knit with a latex coating. The palms and inside of fingers have a textured grip coat of latex. They are very flexable and stop wind great. I don't see any wear on mine yet but what the heck,at the price wear one pair out and surly it will be warm by the time the second pair wears thru ;D

Muskoka SUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2015, 06:35:54 AM »
+1 for Creeks suggestion.. In fact, regardless of what neoprene booties you wear, wool socks as a base layer can't be beat.  If your booties are snug already, even some Marino wool ski socks work wonders.. Icebreaker, Smartwool, etc are name brands that come to mind.  Even Costco sells nice merino wool socks now...
It ain't over until the fat board sinks....

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2015, 09:19:59 AM »
Not that I am excited to see it.... but very nice.... great shots!

Keep padding and posting....plenty of amazing things to see out there....
There is no off-season!

You're outtasight!  I'm happy to know that there are people more obsessed with paddling than our crazy bunch out here.  We think huge oceanic swells and strong winds test our addiction but at least the water is warm.  Love the boots.  Kind of a biker look.

robon

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2015, 10:10:11 AM »

I use an Ocean Rodeo Soul drysuit.  It is not restrictive at all, actually it is quite comfortable.  Also incredibly warm.  I had a t-shirt and some track pants on underneath the suit that day.

I picked up the Ignite drysuit at Ocean Rodeo headquarters in Victoria a week ago. I got a decent deal on it, but not quite sure of the fit yet. I'm a bit over 200 pounds right now at 5'10"is and went with the large king size. Fits just right in the shoulders and arms but maybe a bit too much material in the chest/armpits. I will sell or return it if the fit isn't working for me. Will know better once I get on the water. I tried on the Soul without the booties in the medium king size and the price was very tempting, but it was a tad short in the arms, and just a bit snug across the back/shoulders. I really like the stand by mode and the suits seem super versatile. All of the reflective striping on the ignite are cool along with the knee pads, and cinch points at the waist arms and lower leg. I might throw up a mini review once I get out.

* Recent Posts

post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Night Wing
Today at 06:29:07 AM
post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 18, 2024, 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard