Author Topic: election process  (Read 4702 times)

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
election process
« on: November 14, 2015, 10:52:08 AM »
How's this for an election idea. No candidates run out front, just issues. The candidates have a voting record that will pick them based on your choices and list of priorities. That way no BS, no campaign spending abuses, less effect from lobbyists. The voting procedure might cost a little more but a fraction of what is spent on current campaigns. It would also take alot of the emotional BS out of the process as well as demand at least a small amount of effort on the voter's part to express what they really want.

Who doesn't want this? The two political parties that currently run the circus. But if every time we vote we get someone we don't really like then it's time to do it a different way. Also this method would get better minds out of the woodwork who presently would never enter the circus maximus we call an election. Look at all the present candidates. Are there any that are really our best and brightest? What we have now isn't democracy.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: election process
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2015, 11:08:41 AM »
Never been a democracy. The US was founded as a republic. The underlying ideas of a republic as representative government is pretty much what you describe. We've moved more towards a democracy over time, which has lots of ugly elements.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2015, 11:17:43 AM »
There's a singing show on TV that begins the season with the judges sitting in a high chair so they can't see the contestant.  They only hear them. So based on the quality of their voice, they turn around or not after the performance. 

Some of the contestants are seriously overweight or weird looking but this process removes all that visual intake to focus on the only thing that matters.  Their Voice.

Are you paddling today?

Weasels wake

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2015, 11:34:10 AM »
The three dems running for POTUS are debating tonight, THAT ought to be interesting.
It takes a quiver to do that.

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2015, 11:42:53 AM »
It would be more interesting if we couldn't see them and their voices were distorted like some guy in witness protection.  Then it would be all about the content.  I detest these personality contests.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2015, 11:46:36 AM »
I'm pressure washing the house today. Looks great for a downwinder though.

Call me cynical, but the American public picking a candidate based on issues sounds like insanity to me. Pick three issues, then walk through Paia and ask each person what action should be taken on all three. Better make them really simple or you'll get one of those Jay Leno man in the street thingys.

I invented a little web tool back in the early internet days called autodemagog that I showed to the secretary of state for Oregon. Scared the crap out of him, but he wanted to use it for himself. I'll tell you about it someday.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

lucabrasi

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2015, 11:57:23 AM »
I'm pressure washing the house today.
Awesome. I'll get the senate tomorrow and perhaps we can see what comes clean. Any volunteers to get the White House?

It would be more interesting if we couldn't see them and their voices were distorted like some guy in witness protection.  Then it would be all about the content.  I detest these personality contests.
I kind of like that. It would be interesting to get all that are running together, not split into donkeys and elephants, and try that.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2015, 12:00:44 PM by lucabrasi »

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2015, 12:14:17 PM »
Yes an issue based election would demand a certain degree of aptitude about the concerns listed on the ballot.  If you didn't pass a test to gauge your basic knowledge of those issues, then sorry Charlie, study up and next time you can try again.  What this would eventually do is lift the general population away from that Jay Leno man on the street caricature to a more informed public. 

Currently what you have are many people who think they know what they don't want but have no answer when asked what they do want.  How will they ever be satisfied?  A nation of complainers.

Right now it's smoking and I'm going.  I know what I want.

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2015, 01:45:39 PM »
Make lobbying illegal. Publically funded campaigns with limited media time, public bulletin boards with policy presentation and voting record. No private campaign contributions.

Never happen. The election industry is massive and is too entrenched, and the pols like the revolving door to big money in the private sector. Gotta earn that money with bought policy.
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2015, 02:00:24 PM »
Make lobbying illegal. Publically funded campaigns with limited media time, public bulletin boards with policy presentation and voting record. No private campaign contributions.

Never happen. The election industry is massive and is too entrenched, and the pols like the revolving door to big money in the private sector. Gotta earn that money with bought policy.

+1
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

all~wet

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2015, 02:09:16 PM »
Thom Hartmann interviewed Jimmy Carter. At the very end, he asked him his opinion of the 2010 Citizens United decision and the 2014 McCutcheon decision. These too little talked about historic decisions enabled unlimited secret money (including foreign money) now to pour into U.S. political and judicial campaigns.

Carter answered:
"It violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it's just an oligarchy with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or being elected president. And the same thing applies to governors, and U.S. Senators and congress members. So, now we've just seen a subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect, and sometimes get, favors for themselves after the election is over. ... At the present time the incumbents, Democrats and Republicans, look upon this unlimited money as a great benefit to themselves. Somebody that is already in Congress has a great deal more to sell."

The reality of politics in this country is the stance of most candidates from both sides of the aisle are bought and sold by the same interests who hedge their bets with both parties. They are different in packaging, story, image...what they pay lip service to (mostly in emotional, fear provoking or social issues) but are nearly identical in application.

The contentious divide between each side of the aisle is mostly manufactured theater meant to impassion, divide/distract voters. A recent investigation by the NY times found that greater than 50% of the MASSIVE political “donations” were made by 130 families and/or their interests/corporations.

Of all the issues we spend time throwing rocks at each other over- I'd think this one really ought to be at the top of the list and one we all can agree, insist and act on?

Ok, it IS watertime.

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2015, 03:19:39 PM »
In the movie 'Idiocracy', when ever a cabinet member met some one they'd say  something like: "Hello, I'm John Smith the secretary of interior, brought to you  by AT&T".

freetobeme

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2015, 03:32:48 PM »
To pick "my" candidate I simply look over their views on the issues. Usually easily found online in graph format. Then I cross reference their voting record on major bills and their attendance record. I don't watch the debates or tv much at all so the crazy banter and whacky candidate commercials don't play into my worldview. It's likely as basic and painless a voting process one can take to still make an informed decision. That's how I like my politics.

But this year, while I have "fact checked" him, once Bernie announced he was running I was on board from word go. However, just like years past, I don't watch or listen to any media about him - no debates, no tv interviews, no podcasts - nada.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2015, 03:41:35 PM by freetobeme »
"Everything you want is on the other side of fear" - George Addair

CoreVac Cannibal BOMB 8'8

Weasels wake

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2015, 05:09:03 PM »
To pick "my" candidate I simply look over their views on the issues. Usually easily found online in graph format. Then I cross reference their voting record on major bills and their attendance record. I don't watch the debates or tv much at all so the crazy banter and whacky candidate commercials don't play into my worldview. It's likely as basic and painless a voting process one can take to still make an informed decision. That's how I like my politics.

But this year, while I have "fact checked" him, once Bernie announced he was running I was on board from word go. However, just like years past, I don't watch or listen to any media about him - no debates, no tv interviews, no podcasts - nada.
At your own peril.
He doesn't want to debate foreign policy in light of last night?
https://www.yahoo.com/politics/sanders-aide-pushes-back-against-cbs-switch-to-215805298.html
It takes a quiver to do that.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2015, 06:27:26 PM »
Who writes this stuff? Or if it's an actual verbatim quote, are candidate aides really incapable of forming a sentence in English? The entire article reads like this, like:

"It was a little bit of a bizarre scene. The Sanders representative, you know, really laid into CBS and basically … kind of threw, like, a little bit of a fit and said, ‘You are trying to turn this into a foreign policy debate. That’s not what any of us agreed to. How can you change the terms of the debate, you know, on the day of the debate. That’s not right,’” the staffer recounted.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal