Author Topic: Baja mordida advice  (Read 10326 times)

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Baja mordida advice
« on: November 13, 2015, 09:54:26 AM »
Hopefully this link will work, I can't figure out how to copy/paste this info.

http://www.discoverbaja.com/wp-content/uploads/TRAFFIC-VIOLATIONS.pdf

Discover Baja, the US based Baja car insurance firm which is similar to AAA, has posted information on what to do if you are stopped in Baja for a bogus traffic stop. It is good information and something I have done. I travel in Baja  a lot and have been going there for the past 30+ years. I cannot count the number of times I have been stopped, but I have only paid twice.

southwesterly

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Baja mordida advice
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2015, 01:33:44 PM »

My last ticket in Mexico cost me 500 pesos and a flashlight.

Biggreen

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2015, 05:07:54 PM »
I love driving in Mexico. A courteous craziness that works famously, in my opinion. One of the rare times I get truly into the spirit of competition. It's "I'm gonna screw you before you screw me" driving, and I love it! I know it's off topic, Tom, but after near 30 years you must have some spectacular stories you can regale us with about driving south of the border. For the good of SUP,,or surfing, or whatever it was...please! And cue up that Bad Reaction song to go along with it.

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2015, 06:30:56 PM »
OK, I thought you'd never ask. The article on their website explains that if you have a traffic offence, they have to give you a ticket in English and you have the right to take it with you and mail in the fine. I was driving, with my wife to go to Rauls to go windsurfing when I was stopped for speeding by a motorcycle cop. I was courteous to the officer, called him the name he had on his badge (to let him know that I could identify him in a complaint), and explained to him that I was not speeding as other cars where passing me and he should have stopped them, and that I knew the law that if he has to give me a ticket that I can take it with me and mail in the fine.

He was being a hard ass and told me that wasn't how it worked and he'll have to take me to the station. We went back and forth for a while and he wasn't budging. I was antsy to go windsurf and figured that it would be worth $20 to get this over with. I asked him if he could take care of the fine. He said that if he did that, that I'd probably report it later and the only thing we can do is to follow him to the station. He said to follow him and that he will be making a U-turn up ahead.

When we started following him my wife, who was being silent through all of this, really let into me. She told me I should never tell a cop that I know the law better than him and now we are going to waste all day getting this resolved. Then the cop pulls over, I follow, and he tells me that he has to go on a call and gives me back my licence. He says that I'm lucky because he can't take me to the station and to be sure and drive carefully.

I've got a few more.

Biggreen

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2015, 05:27:39 PM »
I've driven mostly down the east coast going whitewater paddling. The first year I drove down I quickly realized that you'd better have on your game face. We were headed down to the state of Veracruz and beyond, and there had been a hurricane earlier in the year so the potholes were literally larger than some small cars.  At one point we came upon some road repair with a flagman stopping traffic. It was instantly obvious the natives were restless and that the race would be on soon as the starting flag was waved. There were probably 15 or so of us in line, revving engines could be heard. The poor flagman was looking very nervous. He'd been through this drill all day long. I was probably 4th or 5th in line. The poor flag guy truly began running for cover as he waved the flag for us to proceed. The Daytona 500 (that's 500 yards) was on. I'll bet 12 of the 15 of us all leapt out in an all out race to be the first thru the minefield. I was maniacally laughing like John Candy in Planes,Trains, and Automobiles as I fought my way to the front. Cars  beside me would literally disappear in these giant potholes only to surface and spring forward. Our two lane highway became a 4 lane motocross track as we raced through, weaving in and out, over and down, like ants on a hill. I don't know how many people behind me I screwed as I wove through the gauntlet, but I did it with joy and pride. Ended up I placed 2nd on that day. I was somewhat disappointed, but not bad for my first race down south. 

More stories, Tom. Please. Otherwise I'll have to tell some more, much to the chagrin of the peanut gallery.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_akwHYMdbsM
« Last Edit: November 14, 2015, 05:35:50 PM by Biggreen »

K-541`

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2015, 07:20:36 PM »
A few years ago I was pulled over in Tecate just as I was turning on to the final road to the border,motorcycle cop says hey you ran a stop sign we went back and forth for awhile.It came down to you can take care of the fine here so we don't have to go to the police station I opened my wallet and showed him that I only had about 40 pesos a couple bucks in US $ told him the only other option was a bank card then I just sat there and waited for him to make the next move.Well it worked he just got frustrated and let me go needless to say I didn't want to let go of the cash in my front pocket sometimes you get lucky!

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2015, 09:24:39 AM »
Quite a while ago my buddy and I pulled into K-39 to go windsurfing. The 'roads'  were really rough and we saw an old police car got hung up and the two cops were under it trying to wire up there bumper. We stopped and asked if they needed some help and one of them crawled from out from under the car and said I look like I've been drinking and he has to give me a fine.

Luckily my buddy was a San Diego detective and he showed him his badge and told the cop that if there is a problem he would take care of it.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2015, 10:16:26 PM »
Shit. Too many Benny Hill ish adventures in Baja. My favorite was while driving back to Rosarito from Ensenada on the old road. We came across an up side down car that had rolled down a gentle 50' slope and the motor was still running with the wheels turning. We stopped and ran down the hill to see if anyone was hurt. This old local was hanging upside down smiling at us. "Estás bien Amigo"! Ci! he replies with a smile. Then I noticed he was holding a bottle of Tequila. We helped him out of the car, turn it off, and rolled it upright. He seemed fine, so we left him there with his car and bottle and the bottom of this hill, smiling and waving. Classic Mex. 
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

Biggreen

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2015, 05:47:20 PM »
Shit. Too many Benny Hill ish adventures in Baja. My favorite was while driving back to Rosarito from Ensenada on the old road. We came across an up side down car that had rolled down a gentle 50' slope and the motor was still running with the wheels turning. We stopped and ran down the hill to see if anyone was hurt. This old local was hanging upside down smiling at us. "Estás bien Amigo"! Ci! he replies with a smile. Then I noticed he was holding a bottle of Tequila. We helped him out of the car, turn it off, and rolled it upright. He seemed fine, so we left him there with his car and bottle and the bottom of this hill, smiling and waving. Classic Mex.

Love it, TD!

I had a 97 CrewCab Chevy 1ton with a long bed. Damn thing was 19' long. Perfect for Mexico travel. Nights going back to camp from this little pueblo of Apazapan we'd have to pass thru the hills way out in the country. Going through the steep parts I'd put the truck in granny gear and let it crawl along. There'd be a pack of us and all the doors would be open with everyone continuing the party we'd started in town. In Mexico on the back roads you pick up anyone that needs a ride. That's the rule. People would climb on as we'd crawl along and by the time we reached Emiliano Zapata we'd often look like one of those buses in India. Was always a great time.

wrybread

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2015, 08:44:15 AM »
I've done a lot of driving in Baja (and mainland), in my experience the "mordida" mostly only comes up if you've done something wrong. And in that case it beats the hell out of going to court and/or getting points on your license.

Make an illegal left turn right next to the "no left turn" sign and get pulled over, and you get a smiling cop who knows he's got you. Give him the 200 pesos "to go take care of the fine for you" and you're on your way.

Its like someone said to me as he was filling gas for us once, and it stuck with me. He said "I like America, but its too complicated. In Mexico, there's nothing 200 pesos won't fix."

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2015, 10:29:48 AM »
The Baja 1000 starts today...awesome spectacle to see the racers zoom by your coastal campsite...
Talking to some of the race team folks, it's definitely a different game than it used to be...helicopters...drones...sat phones...bigtime mordida...bandidos...etc...

I've logged tens of 1000's of miles driving in the Baja over the last four decades...dodged lots of bullets...literally...of course, I have more stories than there is time for...

I've had to play the mordida game with crooked cops a number of times...my radar detector really knocked them down, however...;-)
From not having a turn signal on while backing out of a mercado...to being involved in a staged accident shakedown...that was a close call...
5 miles from the border crossing returning from a winter surf trip...it was raining...a beater car bumps into my 4X4 hub while pinching into me 100 yards from a motorcycle cop hiding behind a sign...the guy gets out putting on a neck brace as the motorcycle cop starts writing down the guy's...
I argue repeatedly that he drove into me...his fault...and, that his car dents were rusted...all of our money was well hidden except for a $20 in each pocket...
which fortuitously, was exactly how much money it cost...$20 for the guy who wrapped it around a big wad from his front pocket...and, $20 to the motorcycle cop...etc...

Anyways, it's all part of the adventure...paying mordida from flying the Baja in a private aircraft is another story...;-)
« Last Edit: November 20, 2015, 10:58:40 AM by SUPsports »
Mahalos...{:~)

WARDOG ®
Owner/CEO  StandUp Paddle Sports®  &   SurfingSports®.com, Inc.

(805)962-SUPS (7877) store
(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
Standup Paddle Sports, LLC
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2015, 11:30:57 AM »
I never had a problem or even worried about the Federales. As long as we didn't have drugs, they left us alone. My friends Trooper with our windsurf gear and boards on top was a guaranteed trip through Secondary at the boarder. I guess drug runners like those Troopers. As for the Policia, that's a game all in itself. Like others have said, keep most of your money in your sock, shoe, underwear, hat, etc. A 20 and some change in your pockets or wallet, that it. That's all you want them to see. "No mas dinero, Senor. Es todo!" ;)
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2015, 01:17:57 PM »
I never had a problem or even worried about the Federales. As long as we didn't have drugs, they left us alone. My friends Trooper with our windsurf gear and boards on top was a guaranteed trip through Secondary at the boarder. I guess drug runners like those Troopers. As for the Policia, that's a game all in itself. Like others have said, keep most of your money in your sock, shoe, underwear, hat, etc. A 20 and some change in your pockets or wallet, that it. That's all you want them to see. "No mas dinero, Senor. Es todo!" ;)

These days we try to eliminate the boards on top...gringo surfer thing...and, go stealth...we fit everything inside the Suburban...;-)
This summer we did a strategic surf SUP strike in my wifey's Ford van...but, still got pulled into Mexican secondary going into the Baja...
They made us and the perros get out, while a state of the art scanner on a track X-rayed the whole vehicle...must have been a training exercise on their new technology was all we could figure...had to stand around for 10 minutes afterwards before they let us go...

A couple of surf trips from my proner days...the kind of trips that keep you going back...;-)

https://youtu.be/gkS3eaGuorc

https://youtu.be/d-qrlwuFqJI
« Last Edit: November 20, 2015, 01:22:41 PM by SUPsports »
Mahalos...{:~)

WARDOG ®
Owner/CEO  StandUp Paddle Sports®  &   SurfingSports®.com, Inc.

(805)962-SUPS (7877) store
(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
Standup Paddle Sports, LLC
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

wrybread

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2015, 03:23:31 PM »
Nice. And great to see everyone's Baja vehicles. Here's a little travelogue I wrote a few years ago:

http://wrybread.com/wookie/baja2/

And a few pics of our Baja buggy:

« Last Edit: November 25, 2015, 03:35:48 PM by wrybread »

LB Surper

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2015, 03:50:43 PM »
I'd love to take my kids on a Baja surf trip, but my wife thinks we'll get beheaded.
In the 80s, I'd go all the way to Cabo with buddies. Once I took the Green Tortoise 14 day hippie bus with a bunch of Europeans - mostly Germans and Scandanavians. I hooked up with a beautiful Swedish girl who left her country because of Chernobyl fallout.
I did take my wife down there before we got married. We made it to Loreto and she was tired of roughing it. She failed the Baja test but I married her anyway ;).
Haven't been back since.
NSP DC 14'
Naish Hokua 9'6"
Mistral Diamond Head 8'6"
Naish Glide 14"

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal