Author Topic: Noob fin questions  (Read 9932 times)

ForeverBlue232

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
Noob fin questions
« on: November 11, 2015, 05:33:00 AM »
I'm looking at different aftermarket fins and was wondering, what is the best tracking fin to put on a touring SUP?  Even at the detriment of turning ability.  And then I want to know why, what makes a certain fin track straighter?  Not knowing much yet, I'd think a larger overall area (from the side view) would be better at tracking?  One fin I've seen online that claims to be great at tracking is a Future Fins JB Runner SUP fin with a depth of 8.25, a base of 7.02, and an area of 58.9 sq. in.  Another pair I've seen that I would think would track straight as heck are the True Ames D-1and D-2.  Not sure the actual area, but I looks even bigger than the Futures one.  I'm guessing it doesn't turn for you know what.  So if I want a fin where I'm more wanting to just go straight, what's the fin I want to pop in for that?

ForeverBlue232

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
Re: Noob fin questions
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2015, 05:38:54 AM »

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2015, 08:11:00 AM »
True Ames is a nice shape, but if you're looking for serious tracking I'd go for either a Larry Allison Ninja fin or a SUP Gladiator Voyager. You increase tracking by positioning a fin well back and by using a fin that carries a lot of it'a area aft of it's rotational center. Raked fins with big tips will track well. Spitfire style fins won't.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Glowmaster

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2015, 09:02:26 AM »
Makani fins Kawa tracks very straight.  Over 10 strokes/ side for me.

ForeverBlue232

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
Noob fin questions
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2015, 06:30:13 AM »
Thanks for the ideas guys.  Looking at the Gladiator fins, it looks like the Elite is better at tracking than the other Gladiator fins.  Or is it that they have so much drag it's not worth the best tracking? 
« Last Edit: November 12, 2015, 06:34:58 AM by ForeverBlue232 »

robon

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2015, 07:51:57 AM »
I have the Gladiator Hybrid, and the Elite should track a little bit better given it's a bit taller. I have been experimenting between a mid size dolphin shape, the Gladiator, and a dagger type fin on my last two boards. Tracking is better, but not by a huge margin, but the biggest difference I have found is stability. I noticed an immediate improvement in initial stability and secondary with a fin that big, but the effect on turning is very noticeable, there is a bit more drag, and the loose feel isn't really there. I really like having a weedless fin like the Gladiator paddling in backwaters or marshy areas, but overall, the smaller stock fin on my Glide is more to my liking.

Here is an older thread on Gladiator fins.

http://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php?topic=13339.0

Luc Benac

• Teahupoo Status
  • Super Natural British Columbia
    • View Profile
    • When not paddling...
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2015, 08:35:20 AM »
DJ recommended the Naish Dolphin 10.5. It is very stable, quite loose for the size and reasonable regarding drag and speed. Not the fin of choice for weeds...
Otherwise the Hybrid/Voyager is a great solution. I find that the JB Runner always gives that feel that you are dragging the tail of the board behind you unless you are really paddling strongly. There is also the old Laird Ocean fin made last by Futures. It is like between an oversized Futures Karen Wrenn or Byron Kurt.
Sunova Allwater 14'x25.5" 303L Viento 520
Sunova Torpedo 14'x27" 286L Salish 500
Naish Nalu 11'4" x 30" 180L Andaman 520
Sunova Steeze 10' x 31" 150L
Blackfish Paddles

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2015, 09:28:19 AM »
My 14' × 28" Hobie is very stable to start with. I'm not looking to add stability with the Hobie, I like to paddle in and out through the surf so I mainly keep a ' Weed' fin on it which works good in the surf and Ok for distance in the ocean.  If I'm doing a race I'll put on my Larry Allison 'Bat' fin. On my narrower 18' unlimited I always use the Bat fin. It's a little heavier than the Weed but better tracking and the heavier fin aids in stability.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2015, 11:23:15 AM »
Thanks for the ideas guys.  Looking at the Gladiator fins, it looks like the Elite is better at tracking than the other Gladiator fins.  Or is it that they have so much drag it's not worth the best tracking? 

Here is a pic that shows the blue Hybrid and black Elite we posted before.  Really nice tough as nails tracking glass fins that can release when needed.  The Elite tracks slightly better than the Hybrid and adds a touch more stability -> but has slightly more drag. 

We only use these in rough AW conditions when a bit more stability is needed and drag not a big issue.  For speed on flat -> a smaller fin is always faster if you have decent paddling technique.  For starting out - may be very useful.   :)
Fast is FUN!   8)
Dominator - Touring Pintail - Bullet V2 - M14 - AS23

hbsteve

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2015, 12:18:22 PM »
This summer I bought a SUP ATX Touring board.  It came with an 8 fin.    The board was stable enough, but didn't track very good.  I had the Futures Large Triangle fin with an area of 62.1, so I changed it out.  But, I felt the larger fin made it too hard to turn.  So, I changed back.  At the Pacific Paddle Games, the Futures Fin guy said the JB Runner was what I needed.  So, I got it.  I put it on and haven't changed back.  It tracks good but still allows for turning.
I have the Large Triangle listed on Orange County Craigslist.  If you want to try it, let me know.

Bulky

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2015, 12:18:45 PM »
I'm no expert so I'm enjoying the input here.  I don't think you can select compare fins without considering the following variables:

What are you paddling?
What size are you?
What kind of conditions do you generally paddle in?

Not like I'd be able to give you an answer but I know there are lots of people here that can.  Different fins work differently for different people in different conditions.

I'd get Larry Allison's opinion--contact via FB or "Pro-Box Larry" here on the zone.
Santa Barbara, CA

SIC RS 14x24.5
Infinity Blackfish 14'
Naish Glide 14' (2012)
SupSports Hammer 8'11
Starboard WidePoint 10'5
Ke Nalu Mana, Konihi, Maliko

ForeverBlue232

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2015, 07:05:38 AM »
As for me, I'm brand new to SUP, only been on the water a few times.  So my form is definitely not there yet.  I'm not asking the fin question for a board I already have.  I'm planning on buying a decent board by spring, and am already thinking about options for it.  The board I have now is an 11' Liquid Shredder soft board I got cheap.  It's ok, but not all that.  I'm sure some of the issue is the user.  I'm thinking about getting a Bote Rackham.  I'm figuring that just the board itself will track better than what I've got, due to the displacement hull.  But I was thinking of a fin to use when I just want to mostly go str8, or just not have to switch sides as often, then maybe use the stock fin for a looser experience.  I'm not looking into racing or surf.  I will generally be more of a casual paddler.  Or maybe the more I learn, I may want to strap on a different fin for a different vibe/performance.  I'm 6'2", 185lbs.   The local reservoir, where I will probably do most of my riding, is big(long) and flat, but can get some small chop from wind.

I do have another opinion question.  I see on the Elite fin, that you can get it with the normal screw attachment, or get a "click it" version.  The screw version has the hole in the fin so you can tighten the screw.  I wasn't sure how if at all, that affects performance.  I'm also curious how secure is the "click it" version, which at least just looks better/cleaner?  Would I want to spend a couple more bucks for the click version, or should I stick with the more traditional style?

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2015, 07:30:09 AM »
Well, definitely the cart before the horse. The board and use dictates the fin. Bote has a nice cruising boards. You notice the Rackham is geared for fishing with equipment on board. It's really too wide and short for a distance /daily workout board. If you have long straight paddles, a longer board will help more than any fin. I would look into a 12'6 or even better a 14' long board, 30" or less. You'd do fine on a 28" wide board at your height, weight, and skill level.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2015, 09:21:12 AM »
I do have another opinion question.  I see on the Elite fin, that you can get it with the normal screw attachment, or get a "click it" version.  The screw version has the hole in the fin so you can tighten the screw.  I wasn't sure how if at all, that affects performance.  I'm also curious how secure is the "click it" version, which at least just looks better/cleaner?  Would I want to spend a couple more bucks for the click version, or should I stick with the more traditional style?

Would not worry too much about the hole affecting performance.  The benefit of that fin is tracking and releasing when you want.

Since we have no problems with our traditional style fins -> we have not tried click versions.
Fast is FUN!   8)
Dominator - Touring Pintail - Bullet V2 - M14 - AS23

ForeverBlue232

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2015, 09:29:35 AM »
Well that's one thing, I have a couple months before I can afford to buy anything.  So I have time to find things out and figure things out.  I may change my mind a few times before I pull the trigger.  Ultimately I'd like to have maybe four different boards, so that I'd have variety to choose from each time I'd head out on the water.  Also it would be nice to have a few so I can drag friends out there. 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal